Durafly Upgrades Tundra Wings

The Durafly Tundra from HobbyKing is one of the most popular planes from the last few years due to its great looks and versatility. The new version has an improved wing connection for the servos.

Splash

The Tundra Gets Even Better

The Durafly Tundra from HobbyKing is one of the most popular planes from the last few years due to its great looks and versatility. It's a bush plane that can handle rough ground, snow and water with a large speed envelope and large flaps that make for fun flying in both windy and calm conditions. There's a new version out right now with a small but much appreciated design change. The wings now feature a plug in style connector for the servos just like they used on the Avios RCGroups Extra 330 I reviewed last month.

It's a small change, but it does make life easy when removing or attaching the wings. You don't have to mess with plugging in servo extensions or making sure you have them plugged in with the correct polarity or wrestle with the excess wire as you attach the wing. None of that, you simply slide the wings on and the electrical connections are made automatically. All new Tundra orders will include this design change. Do note that the new wings will not be compatible with older fuselages.

Check out the new Durafly Tundra line up at HobbyKing

Feb 28, 2018, 12:28 PM
DFS#000178
That's really nice! I hope a lot more aircraft with plug-in wings start to go this route. Even if it's not a d-sub connector. EFlite did this with the CZ C-150 and it's incredibly convenient.

The only issue I see is people replacing wings on existing airframes will no longer have a supply of replacement parts.
Feb 28, 2018, 01:34 PM
A man with too many toys
They need a How To video on upgrading an old Tundra with the new connectors.
Feb 28, 2018, 03:29 PM
Quote:
It's a small change, but it does make life easy when removing or attaching the wings. You don't have to mess with plugging in servo extensions or making sure you have them plugged in with the correct polarity or wrestle with the excess wire as you attach the wing. None of that, you simply slide the wings on and the electrical connections are made automatically.
The change here is only to the type of electrical connector. Tundras have never come with servo extensions for the wing servos.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Feb 28, 2018, 10:26 PM
Never Stop Learning
I guess at least new owners of the tundra will have a peace of mind. The original connectors were miserable. In my case I was waiting for replacement from HK for about 2 month until they offered a credit to get myself an extension lead instead. Not gonna bother upgrading it now - not worth IMO.
Mar 01, 2018, 12:43 AM
DFS#000178
Did this upgrade come with a price increase as well? I'm showing $210.30 from the US warehouse..

That's kind of ridiculous for a plane that used to hover right around the $150.00 range. That puts it at nearly the same price as a Timber.
Mar 01, 2018, 01:05 PM
Flying Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Did this upgrade come with a price increase as well? I'm showing $210.30 from the US warehouse..

That's kind of ridiculous for a plane that used to hover right around the $150.00 range. That puts it at nearly the same price as a Timber.

Normally is around the $200 mark and goes on sale for the 150-175 range from time to time.
Mar 01, 2018, 05:20 PM
About time! I bought a Tundra last year and neither wing connector worked. One was mis-aligned and didn't connect and the other was faulty. A quick search of Youtube revealed that many people had had this problem. When I asked for a solution from Hobbyking they said they would send me a new set of connectors. I dared to ask why they were persisting with connectors which were such a problem and they angrily denied there was anything wrong with these PCBs. After several weeks waiting the replacement connectors arrived, and guess what, neither worked.

I dug out the PCBs and replaced them with standard servo extensions and all was well. TBH it's too much of a hassle to remove and replace the wings at the field because the screws are tiny and easily lost and I can wriggle the Tundra into the back seat of my car with the wings on. I think they might have changed to bigger screws in the new model as well.

The Tundra is a nice plane and perfect for the steep and rough logging road which is my runway, but it sours the experience when HK deny such an obvious fault in their design and make you wait weeks for a replacement that also doesn't work. I suppose they decided to wait until they'd sold all the bad ones before bringing out a new model. A more customer focused company would have retro-fitted the original model.

I buy a lot of stuff from Hobbyking and mostly it's good, but with cheap planes you get what you pay for and rectifying problems is not their strong suit.
Mar 01, 2018, 05:58 PM
I have a Tundra and when I was setting it up the wing Servo's started jittering and then one of the flap servos went full down. I assumed it was a bad servo but when I tested it the servo was fine. Finally figured out it was the connectors and luckily I own a crimper so I put some JST connectors on and connected them the old-fashioned way.

My point - thank God that didn't happen whilst I was actually flying. I wonder how many Tundras have been lost that way. This change can't come soon enough.

Quick Reply