Sep 01, 2020, 09:43 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Wait a minute, are you trying to split the signal from the RFU between the X10+ and the Aura8? YES

I thought that would be like using the RFU and 2 of the X10+'s on a Y harness or the Nano and 2 of the X10+'s on a Y harness. But instead of 2 X10+'s, it was 1 X10+ and the Aura 8 as they both accept SBus.

The servos seem to work fine as the throttle was hooked up to the X10+ and everything else in the Aura 8. The only issue is the flickering all the time on the X10+. This is with the JR 11X and the internal 11X XPS module. It even does it with just the RFU connected directly to the X10+ only. All my planes except for 1 is on the 11X.

The glider I have is on the Jumper T-16 with the XPS JR-XJT module, set up with XJT-D16 mode and using the RFU into the Aura 8 only. No X10+. I set the live fail safe in the RFU. Everything works fine. This is my first actual set up with the Aura using the Aura with SBus.

The second picture I showed in post #6 was only a test, it is not actually being used. That picture shows the same set up as the 11X but with the Jumper T-16 TX, Jumper R-8 RX on SBus, the X10+, and the Aura 8 to see if it would flicker like it did with my JR 11X. It doesn't and the servos seem to work fine.

MAKE SURE that you re-bind the RFU if you have changed the number of channels. If you adjust the number of servos being used then you have to re-bind if you change that (or the frame rate).
I haven't changed any of the channels or adjusted the number of servos. I just changed the program mode to SBUS and I made sure the fail safe in the RFU is set to off when using the X10+ or made sure it is set to User when having the RFU into the AURA and No X10+. But I will re-bind anyway as I always do after setting up the servo throws just to be sure.

On planes I have that are like the set up you have in post #1, I can and will do the same thing. I am good there. I am guessing that if I can set the live fail safe on the RFU there is no packet loss and it is safe to use it.

The issue is on planes where I have electronic ignition. My understanding is Flex recommends connecting the electronic ignition to the receiver and not the Aura. Even using separate batteries. So using the RFU alone is not possible. I was trying to use SBus to avoid losing ports on the Aura. Also using SBus you can set up an adjustable gain with a slider or knob to adjust the gyro for oscillation while in flight. Using PWM mode you cannot. But since the X10+ flickers no matter what on SBus with the RFU I won't be using that.

For those I have decided to use the RFU, with the X10+ on Extreme Fast Mode and the Aura. I will loose 4 ports as input into the Aura but with the Extreme Fast mode there is no flickering and I can set live fail safe in the X10+. Maybe doing some channel mapping in the X10+ will compensate for losing the 4 ports in the Aura.

It didn't make sense to me that the RFU/X10+ on SBus flickers where the Jumper R8/X10+ on SBus does not. Also where the RFU/X10+ on Extreme Fast Mode doesn't flicker either. Whether they were connected directly without the Aura 8 or split with a Y-harness and the Aura 8.

As always I appreciate your help. thanks
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2020, 11:23 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
[QUOTE=thebluemax;45352865]

Just realized this is wrong and shouldn't be in here. The Jumper T-16 does have the XPS module in it but I used the internal module set to XJT D16 to power the Jumper R-8 not the external module. Also there isn't a RFU in it, there is a Jumper R-8 set to SBus.
Sorry about that.
Quote:
The glider I have is on the Jumper T-16 with the XPS JR-XJT module, set up with XJT-D16 mode and using the RFU into the Aura 8 only. No X10+. I set the live fail safe in the RFU. Everything works fine. This is my first actual set up with the Aura using the Aura with SBus.
This was also done with the Jumper T-16 set to the internal module not the XPS external module. Just wanted to point out the X10+ did not flicker with this set setup
Quote:
The second picture I showed in post #6 was only a test, it is not actually being used. That picture shows the same set up as the 11X but with the Jumper T-16 TX, Jumper R-8 RX on SBus, the X10+, and the Aura 8 to see if it would flicker like it did with my JR 11X. It doesn't and the servos seem to work fine.
Sep 03, 2020, 11:40 PM
Thread OP
Flickering indicates packet loss. That's why it flickers. That is normally due to over-air packets. Are you saying that RFU-->X10+ with Xtreme mode has no flickering, and RFU-->X10+ wtih SBUS mode has flickering? As in, SBUS causes the X10+ to flicker?

You can not split any signals with a Y-cable to anything other than our own products. I have no clue what the results would be with other products. The load is unknown.
Sep 03, 2020, 11:40 PM
Thread OP
When I had a FLEX aircraft, I used the RFU and set the output mode to SBUS and that is all I used.
Sep 04, 2020, 08:08 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Flickering indicates packet loss. That's why it flickers. That is normally due to over-air packets. Are you saying that RFU-->X10+ with Xtreme mode has no flickering, and RFU-->X10+ wtih SBUS mode has flickering? As in, SBUS causes the X10+ to flicker?

You can not split any signals with a Y-cable to anything other than our own products. I have no clue what the results would be with other products. The load is unknown.
Are you saying that:
RFU-->X10+ with Xtreme mode has no flickering Yes. See picture 1

RFU-->X10+ with SBUS mode has flickering? Yes . See picture 2

As in, SBUS causes the X10+ to flicker? I guess. I thought it was the Y harness but flickers where there is one or not. Is it possible it is the 2.4GHz JR 11x transmitter module?

BTW: Same thing happens when using use a X10+ V2
Last edited by thebluemax; Sep 04, 2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added V2 statement
Sep 04, 2020, 08:46 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Quote:
When I had a FLEX aircraft, I used the RFU and set the output mode to SBUS and that is all I used.
I did the exact same thing on a second plane as you installed in the FLEX aircraft. Except I used my JR 11X and not a Graupner TX. No issues.

This is only came about as I have a third plane with electronic ignition. FLEX recommends the electronic ignition should go to the RX and not the Aura to protect from ignition noise. That is why I tried the Y-harness. No extra connections to the RFU to do it.

Tried SBus with the Y harness and X10+ to take advantage of all 8 output ports on the Aura as well as being able to control the amount of gain on a slider switch while in flight. The ignition, throttle, and retracts would go on the X10+. Everything else to the Aura.

Using Xtreme mode and X10+ there is no need for a Y-harness, I lose 4 output ports on the Aura as I need 4 of the ports as input from the X10+. I also lose the ability to control the amount of gain on a slider switch while in flight. Again, the ignition, throttle, and retracts would go on the X10+ plus whatever else cannot fit in the Aura due to lack of output ports.

I hope all this makes sense. I also sent you a PM
thanks again
Sep 04, 2020, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Packet loss when setting the RFU to SBUS Output and the X10+ to SBUS Input has never been reported before. I will take a look at this.
Sep 04, 2020, 12:17 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Ok. Thanks. I can't believe I might be the first to try that combo. Hopefully you can create it too.
Sep 04, 2020, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
I tried the combo when testing the RFU and X10+ V2. I have also tried the RFU with the X24, but not with a JR11x transmitter. Maybe there is something causing a conflict due to the frame rate or something?

I will say that I would not be surprised about an issue when trying to split the signal from the RFU to two different devices (other than our own).
Sep 04, 2020, 06:53 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Quote:
I tried the combo when testing the RFU and X10+ V2. I have also tried the RFU with the X24, but not with a JR11x transmitter. Maybe there is something causing a conflict due to the frame rate or something?

I will say that I would not be surprised about an issue when trying to split the signal from the RFU to two different devices (other than our own).
So you got no flickering at all on SBus? Interesting.... I am using your 2.4GHz JR 11x transmitter module in my JR11X. It does have the JR 11X firmware update on it, 11X2P4_V0002-0103, to make it on the same level as the JR XG11. Could that be where my problem is?
Last edited by thebluemax; Sep 04, 2020 at 09:53 PM.
Sep 04, 2020, 08:00 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
I can send you my 11X if you want to test with it.
Sep 05, 2020, 06:30 AM
Interesting

11X is a DMS2 modulation only. I just got one and planning to put Jim's module in it
I have to verify with JR people what 11X2P4 upgrade stands for

XG11 is DMSS only Tx . Older software got no Xbus. I just sent SD card to get last upgrade for Xbus options
Not applicable for XPS module

There is an XG11MV - Removable module which could have all past and current modulation ( picture)
I am running Jim's JR module on PPM9. I wish Jim could adopt DMS version of JR module for it. I could have 2 extra channels

I am watching all these recent thread with great interest.
We got all swamped with too many options on hand to the point it slips out of the hands. Taranis /FrSky/OpenTx issues bug me the most. I do want to run OpenTx safely, but we are hitting bumpy ride too with lots of mysteries.
JR is simpler to solve these mysteries I believe

Mike
Sep 05, 2020, 07:19 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Mike,
Attached is a document about the upgrade. Basically expand functionality. No changes to protocol or failsafe. My 11X is DSM2. I did not have the DSMX upgrade done that Horizon charged for. Just the download of 11X2-4-002-100.
check out this thread. especially posts 16, 49, 213

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post28302537
Last edited by thebluemax; Sep 05, 2020 at 08:12 AM.
Sep 05, 2020, 08:11 AM
Great part of the education is to learn how much you do not know

Thanks Bill

Thanks All for participating in the process of putting these puzzles together right

Mike
Sep 05, 2020, 08:24 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Quote:

Today I went and bounded my friends JR-9303 to the RFU with SBus and the X10+ V2. Direct connection. No Y-harnesses and no signal splitting and it was flickering just like it did with my 11X. I changed everything over to Extreme mode and there is no flickering.

I am at a loss as testing with 2 different radios at 2 different locations and I get the same thing. If I understand Jim's post correctly he did not have the flickering with his test. The RFU is brand new from XPS. The X10+ was from a previous order but I did apply updater60 to it.

So no RFU with SBus and an X10+ for me. Only the RFU and X10+ on Extreme mode. Unless Jim eventually has the problem and finds something.

Quick Reply