Feb 27, 2018, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

RFU w/Aura 8 installation

Now that Flex Innovation's QQ Cap 232 is out, some people have wondered how to setup the RFU with the Aura8 gyro that comes with the plane. I got one of the Cap 232's to fly and so I took some pictures of my setup.

I am using a Graupner MX-24 transmitter with our MX-24 XtremeLink module and RFU. I set the RFU to output SBUS protocol (5 blinks on the output mode). When the Aura8 senses an SBUS input, it automatically uses the normal Futaba channel order (1=aileron, 2=elevator, 3= throttle, 4=rudder). Since the Graupner transmitter outputs channels in the JR order I used the RFU's channel mapping to change the mapping so 1=2, 2=3, and 3=1. This remaps the channels so they match the Futaba system. I had to also reverse ALL of the channels to match Futaba. Once I did this, everything worked perfectly.

The plane flies great. It's really well built. We will be offering a light kit for it for those that did not purchase the lighted version from Flex Innovations. Our light kit will feature selectable color sequences (from the transmitter), instead of being just fixed white. We will also be selling 6S3500mAh packs for this aircraft.
Last edited by JimDrew; Feb 27, 2018 at 05:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2020, 08:29 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F

RFU with the X10+ expander and the Aura 8

Hi Jim,
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you ever set up a plane using the RFU with the X10+ expander and the Aura 8? If so how did you do it?

I want to use this combination in my Dave Patrick Ultimate. The Ultimate has 4 aileron servos, 2 elevator servos, and one on the rudder. I also have one on the throttle and I would like to have a channel on the Aura 8 set up for the master gain. I want to use the X10+ with the RFU as I need 9 ports in order to use Aura 8 with the master gain and then something for the throttle.

Also have you tried the Aura 8 Professional? How would that be set up using the RFU and X10+? That has a standard port A as well as a standard port B for input where the Aura 8 doesn't have the second standard port.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Bill
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Aug 13, 2020, 12:44 PM
Thread OP
The only way to setup a flight stabilizer with the X10+ is if the flight stabilizer has a serial input and output. The Aura8 was suppose to have this capability at some point, but I don't know if that ever happened. I don't use gyros myself so I really have not kept up with this.
Last edited by JimDrew; Aug 14, 2020 at 04:13 AM.
Aug 13, 2020, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Now that Flex Innovation's QQ Cap 232 is out, some people have wondered how to setup the RFU with the Aura8 gyro that comes with the plane. I got one of the Cap 232's to fly and so I took some pictures of my setup.

I am using a Graupner MX-24 transmitter with our MX-24 XtremeLink module and RFU. I set the RFU to output SBUS protocol (5 blinks on the output mode). When the Aura8 senses an SBUS input, it automatically uses the normal Futaba channel order (1=aileron, 2=elevator, 3= throttle, 4=rudder). Since the Graupner transmitter outputs channels in the JR order I used the RFU's channel mapping to change the mapping so 1=2, 2=3, and 3=1. This remaps the channels so they match the Futaba system. I had to also reverse ALL of the channels to match Futaba. Once I did this, everything worked perfectly.

The plane flies great. It's really well built. We will be offering a light kit for it for those that did not purchase the lighted version from Flex Innovations. Our light kit will feature selectable color sequences (from the transmitter), instead of being just fixed white. We will also be selling 6S3500mAh packs for this aircraft.
Good...
Not sure what 'center' data that setup has... most Graupner are 1500us equivalent (like JR and SPM also). Futaba S.bus is 1520us equivalent.
You can look for 0 percent at center on the Aura Input Monitor on the Setup Tab with Live Data on... to avoid any small trim changes. (Sub-trim it to 0 at center).

Keep in mind we also have and FR Sky S.bus setting that uses the 1500us center if that is more correct. (I don't recall 100% if the channel order is the same by default....)

Have Fun,
David
Aug 13, 2020, 08:23 PM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
The only way to setup a flight stabilizer with the X10+ is if the flight stabilizer has a serial input and output. The Aura8 was suppose to have this capability at some point, but I don't know if that ever happened. I don't use gyros myself so I really have not kept up with this.
Ok, thanks for getting back to me. I will have to play with it.
Last edited by JimDrew; Aug 14, 2020 at 04:13 AM.
Aug 29, 2020, 10:25 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F

RFU issue

Hi Jim,
I know you said you don't deal much with gyros and my question/issue is not about that but with the RFU and X10+. I am trying to see if this set up will work with a RFU and X10+ and the Aura 8.

I have a set up where I am using a glow engine on electronic ignition. Our club rules state we need to have a fail safe plus if I understand the people from Flex correctly you should not connect the electronic ignition directly to the Aura. Even using a certain IBEC they do not recommend it.

So wanting to use the Aura with this setup, I need the X10+ with the RFU for the optical cut off for the electronic ignition and I will also use it for the throttle. Both the RFU and X10+ are set up with Futaba SBUS. I am using a JR-11X transmitter with the XPS JR-11X internal module. Fully charged A123 battery.

The set up in the picture is working as the servos move just fine on both the X10+ and the Aura but I am getting the green flicker. I understand that is packet loss and I cannot set up the live fail safe either. The Aura Fail safe mode is set to off which is a pass thru. See the GIF picture.

I thought it might be using the Y-harness off the RFU for both the X10+ and the Aura but I have the same issue when using just the RFU connected the X10+ and no Aura. If I set up the live fail safe in the RFU it will allow me to set it and it works like it should but the X10+ still flickers like crazy.

If I take the same X10+ with a Nano (on extreme mode PWM of course) and the Aura, everything works just like using the RFU except there is no flickering and I can set the live fail safe in the X10+.

I also tried the same set up with my Jumper T-16 transmitter, Jumper R-8 RX on SBus with the X10+ and the Aura. Everything works as it should. No flickering on the X10+ and I can set the live fail safe in the X10+. The is no RSSI warning from the T-16 either. I realize the transmitter is in the same room and not the same thing as being at a distance like at the field flying.

Why would the RFU show packet loss while the Nano does not? I really want to use the RFU with this setup to get all 11 channels from my JR-11X as well as anything needed for electronic ignition. I know WiFi and micro wave ovens can affect the packet loss but I went outside into the middle of the street and got the same thing.

I have a Dave Patrick Ultimate set up with the RFU and the Aura 8 Pro on SBus. No X10+ as there isn't electronic ignition or on-board glow on this plane. I was able to set the live fail safe in the RFU so does that mean there is no packet loss since I was able to set the live fail safe?

What else I can do to fix it.
thanks for your time.
Bill
Aug 30, 2020, 06:29 AM
Build more, websurf less
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemax
Both the RFU and X10+ are set up with Futaba SBUS....If I take the same X10+ with a Nano (on extreme mode PWM of course) and the Aura, everything works just like using the RFU except there is no flickering and I can set the live fail safe in the X10+.
Bill,

Try configuring both the RFU and X10+ to communicate using Xtreme Fast instead of SBUS.

Good luck,

Paul
Aug 30, 2020, 07:59 AM
I second Paul's advice

Bill
What software (OpenTx)version has your Jumper?
If it works with R8 it must be original ( I got 2.2.3)

Mike
Aug 30, 2020, 09:45 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Thanks guys for the help.

I will use the RFU on Xtreme Mode on installs where I don't need all 8 outputs or electronic ignition. On this plane I need all 8 outputs and I have electronic ignition on it too. Which the folks at Flex do not recommend using in the Aura due to noise. Xtreme Mode and the Nano will use 4 of the slots for input. I could use y-harnesses on the 4 ports left for output but I prefer not too.

I don't understand why I get packet loss on the X10+ with the RFU on SBus where I don't with using Xtreme Mode or with the Nano. I don't think it is the Aura 8 as I get that flickering with or without the Aura in the loop. I can understand on the X10+ with the Jumper T-16 with the R-8 as that is a different system with different programming. For all I know it could be losing the packets and either the X10+ is ignoring them or is not seeing anything as missed. You would think SBus is SBus and the X10+ would flicker with the R-8 just like is does with the RFU.

I am on Open-TX 2.3.9. I purchased the R-8's when they first came out as I wanted to try out telemetry on my glider. Everything works just fine as I am using the R-8 with SBus, the Aura 8, and the Jumper T-16.

I just want to make sure that I can use the RFU/X10+/Aura setup safely. It is only an issue with my planes with electronic ignition.

thanks again for the help
Sep 01, 2020, 02:29 AM
Thread OP
First of all, you should be using Xtreme mode with the RFU-->X10. It makes no sense to use a substantially slower protocol (like SBUS). Secondly, the flickering is almost certainly due to you have the RFU too close to the transmitter (or some other 2.4GHz transmitter, like a wireless router, phone, bluetooth head set, etc.) The RFU is extremely sensitive and the receiver's front-end can be swamped when the transmitter is within 3 feet. Lastly, I can't recommend what you are trying to do. You are going to have varying degrees of latency and the entire purpose of the X10+ is to power your servos properly. The Aura8 can't handle the current draw that the X10+ can. I *really* wish they would just make a firmware upgrade for the Aura8 that took the serial input (SBUS, Spektrum, etc.) added the flight stabilization correction, and then output that as SBUS, Spektrum, etc. THAT would be the perfect solution, not only with our product but with everyone else's. Whoever does that first and makes it cheaper than the Demon Pro (which CAN do that, along with using 2 receivers for redundancy) will take over the market. I am just waiting for one of these Chinese companies to do it. I could sell thousands of these.
Sep 01, 2020, 08:17 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
Thanks for getting back to me.

I understand what you are saying. I will use the RFU/X10+ with Xtreme Mode. Hopefully they will do what you suggest.
Sep 01, 2020, 08:36 AM
Bill
unscrew the antenna from the module for close range operation
That's what I do with XPS modules and Receivers in my crazy screened house
Jim's module is emitting 1.5 times more power then other multi-protocol modules

Mike
Last edited by Smyk; Sep 01, 2020 at 08:44 AM.
Sep 01, 2020, 09:06 AM
PayPal ONLY with NO F&F
thanks...

Xtreme link will be the way to go and be fine. I did a test at the field with just the RFU and X10+, and no Aura with the TX about 20 ft away and I still got the flickering. So since I got the same result at the field I will be going with Jim's recommendation using Xtreme Fast. I want to make sure everything is safe and reliable. I am looking to convert all planes from Nano's to RFU which is why I was going this way.

I just thought SBus would be easier than PWM and make more ports available on the Aura but I see it isn't working out that way. I think I can do some channel re-mapping in the RFU to take care of any excess port issues on the Aura. Or just go with a Nano and use the remaining ports on the Nano for planes with electronic ignition.

Again I appreciate all the feedback.
Sep 01, 2020, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyk
Bill
unscrew the antenna from the module for close range operation
That's what I do with XPS modules and Receivers in my crazy screened house
Jim's module is emitting 1.5 times more power then other multi-protocol modules

Mike

That's actually not true. The XPS modules about 1/2 the amount of power of Spektrum and other systems. The XPS modules output 60mw of power, and with antenna gain it is right at 100mw EIRP. Our receivers between 2 and 8 times more sensitive than any others on the market.
Last edited by JimDrew; Sep 01, 2020 at 04:08 PM.
Sep 01, 2020, 04:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemax
I just thought SBus would be easier than PWM and make more ports available on the Aura but I see it isn't working out that way. I think I can do some channel re-mapping in the RFU to take care of any excess port issues on the Aura. Or just go with a Nano and use the remaining ports on the Nano for planes with electronic ignition.
Wait a minute, are you trying to split the signal from the RFU between the X10+ and the Aura8? That will never work. The RFU will only drive one signal in SBUS mode. The SBUS protocol is strictly one signal, one way. Only the SBUS2 protocol can be used for multiple devices and is bi-directional.

MAKE SURE that you re-bind the RFU if you have changed the number of channels. If you adjust the number of servos being used then you have to re-bind if you change that (or the frame rate). The RFU should NEVER be flickering at a distance like what you describe. Something is severely wrong, and you need to sort that out before you go fly. Ah... I see you are using OpenTx... did you update to the latest XPS module firmware to work around the bug in the OpenTx 2.3.x issue? You should be using XJT-D16 mode with your OpenTx setup and our module.

Quick Reply