Sep 06, 2019, 10:23 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersam740
I just ordered one from HH. It was 88.00 dollars shipped. I'm going to use my Any-Link hooked up to my Spectrum radio. I've seen comments that it's prone to tip stalling. I wonder if just using the rudder to turn the plane to keep it more flat would help prevent that.
I have one of these also but not flown it yet. My go-to solution for slow flight stability is to add fixed flaps. As you wrote, using rudder in slow turns can definitely help, as does simply keeping the speed up! In my case it will be for indoor flying with a pack of pilots. So slow speed is beneficial.

Good luck with yours!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2019, 07:09 PM
Fixed flaps is a good solution in general....add some down elevator if needed.

My FW B17 is heavy and will want to tip stall unless you keep up a. Lot of speed. I dropped flaps and it felt so locked in I thought it had AS3X. I now only fly it with flaps down....able to fly it much more scale speed.
Sep 07, 2019, 03:42 AM

Flaps

Thanks Hugo; I will add the flaps, about 20 or 30 percent. I think it was you who said put a dime on the battery for extra weight.
Sep 07, 2019, 08:32 AM
I said that for the HH B17...I don't have this Flyzone DC-3, but joined this thread becuase I love how it looks, but got burned when I bought the Flyzone B25....what a turd that was. Just a horrible design and a terrible flyer. (The HH B25 was much better.). So I was hesitant to pull the trigger on this plane.

Maybe when the DC3 goes on deep clearance I might still get one...lol
Sep 18, 2019, 07:59 AM

DC-3 motor replacement

Has anyone had to open the motor cowl for motor replacement. If you could tell me where to make the razor cuts . I've tried two areas without any luck. Cancel,, got it open.
Last edited by peppersam740; Sep 18, 2019 at 01:01 PM.
Sep 20, 2019, 08:27 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppersam740
Has anyone had to open the motor cowl for motor replacement. If you could tell me where to make the razor cuts . I've tried two areas without any luck. Cancel,, got it open.
Are you going to share your new knowledge on this repair?
Sep 20, 2019, 01:20 PM

cowl disection

Used disp. razor blades to make the cuts. Replaced the prop shaft from parts ben and am waiting for props. Ran into a parked truck.
Oct 03, 2019, 01:26 PM
I think I maybe interested in adding flaps to the C47 & B17. Has anyone posted a thread or maybe pictures on this?

Jack
Oct 03, 2019, 03:42 PM
Terry Dunn
I had static flaps for a while. They worked okay, but I prefer flying without them.
https://www.tested.com/art/makers/82...t-1-tow-plane/

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350
I think I maybe interested in adding flaps to the C47 & B17. Has anyone posted a thread or maybe pictures on this?

Jack
Oct 03, 2019, 04:00 PM
That was excellent Terry. Thanks.

I'm going to use a Tactic TTX650. I bought that for the P-38 which flies very well. The P-38 I got didn't come with a TX?

Have you made part 2 video?

My C47 should be here the OCT the 5th.

Jack
Oct 03, 2019, 04:06 PM
Terry Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350
That was excellent Terry. Thanks.

Have you made part 2 video?
Sort of. I did write part 2 of the article. It is here: https://www.tested.com/art/makers/83...part-2-glider/

But be sure to read the comments at the end of the article where I talk about the C-47 motor mods that finally made the project a success.

Terry
Oct 04, 2019, 07:17 AM
I'm not interested in towing but find this very interesting! I would like to know what motors you finally settled on?

I have a B17 with 6mm motors. It's a real sweet plane but a little scary on take off. It sure flies like a bomber. Over weight and under powered!
Stronger motors would sure help this model. Maybe batteries like you tried.

I fly the micros in the street in front of the house. With little power clearing trees and houses and stuff can be stressful. Scares the B17 crew too!

Jack
Oct 04, 2019, 02:58 PM
will a coreless motor work in a model with a iron core like the E_File B17?
Oct 04, 2019, 05:27 PM
Terry Dunn
These are the hop-up motors I used in the C-47 with the stock gearboxes, props and a LiHV 220mAh battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the B-17, I'd try a LiHV battery before swapping motors. That alone may be enough to make you happy.
Last edited by mopar_man; Oct 05, 2019 at 06:08 AM.
Oct 05, 2019, 06:36 AM
Thanks Terry. I'll do that. Much easier to change batteries than motors.

jack

Quick Reply