FMS Kingfisher 1400mm STOL Airplane - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

FMS Kingfisher 1400mm STOL Airplane

FMS is coming out with a new Short Take Off and Landing airplane called the Kingfisher. This model will have a 1400mm Wingspan and a nice looking color scheme.

A New Versatile Plane from FMS

FMS is coming out with a new Short Take Off and Landing airplane called the Kingfisher. This model will have a 1400mm Wingspan and a nice looking color scheme. That's cool on its own, but this plane will have all kinds of options available for it so you can fly however you like. First off, it comes with two battery hatches, one standard, and one with an FPV camera mount. Then you have optional landing gear to purchase separately if you want, these include floats and skis. The floats will come with a water rudder that attaches to the rudder.

Now the main landing gear have large bush type tires and the general look of the plane screams STOL, but the one big omission here is built-in flaps. You really need flaps for short take offs and slow landings, but we're sure it can modified to add flaps, it's just weird they were not included as standard. What do you guys think of the Kingfisher? Do you like the look? There's no webpage up yet or any word on pricing, but we'll add that once it is available.

Feb 26, 2018, 08:50 AM
Seems very similar to what the Grand Tundra will look like once it is released.
Feb 26, 2018, 09:27 AM
At 1400 mm it's more a competitor to the Tundra (1300 mm) than the Grand Tundra (1700 mm). A lot will depend on the price - you get flaps and floats as standard with the Tundra.
Feb 26, 2018, 09:38 AM
Yes that is true. I was just referring to the STOL capability.
Feb 26, 2018, 09:41 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
This thing would have stood a better chance to compete with the Tundra if it had come out much sooner. The Tundra has already established itself as best in class. Might be too late to cash in, FMS.

Latest blog entry: P-82 Twin Mustang Kit Bash
Feb 26, 2018, 10:06 AM
Good lookin'...

Except for that FPV mount. That's hideous. Like some unsightly tumor.. OK OK, hard to make an FPV mount sexy. But it MUST be possible to do better than that..
Feb 26, 2018, 11:42 AM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
No flaps??? That's a mandatory feature of a STOL or bush type plane IMO

Feb 26, 2018, 01:08 PM
They should make all these 1600mm or more. There's already enough 1200-1400mm of these types.
Feb 26, 2018, 02:30 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
No flaps, no slots, wondering if this will be able to out-STOL my Valiant, let alone a Timber or Tundra.
Feb 26, 2018, 03:14 PM
Lack of flaps seems odd for this genre of plane. It's firmly between the Tundra and Timber, but I would've expected it to have flaps.

I think not having them is going to be the thing that makes it essentially DoA. It's a good-looking plane but not having the primary feature that makes that genre of plane fun, and then saying it's made to compete in that genre of planes, is kind of weird...

But at the end of the day, it's just another Cub™. Give me a scale Cherokee already.
Feb 26, 2018, 03:37 PM
With no installed flaps, I'm not interested in this one.
I'll stick with my old MPX Fun Cub (same wingspan as this one)
Latest blog entry: Goldberg Eagle 2
Feb 26, 2018, 04:44 PM
How can it be STOL without flaps? Oh my. Move along folks. Nothing to see here.
Feb 27, 2018, 07:48 AM
I was told that the floats and skis would be included in the kit I.E. not optional and at an extra cost.

Last edited by Bajora; Feb 27, 2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Photos added

Quick Reply