Feb 25, 2018, 02:04 PM
Discussion

Which Frsky transmitter should I get?

I'm looking to upgrade from my Spektrum DXe, and I want to go to Frsky. But I'm having trouble finding any good comparison charts that show the differences between their many models. Can someone help me figure out which would be the best fit for me?

These are the main things I would want:
  • 9+ channels
  • Ability to fly airplanes and quads, since that's primarily what I do
  • External module support, since I need to maintain compatibility with a few Spektrum planes
  • Momentary control for use with safe planes (panic button) or quad flips
  • Good community support and compatibility
  • Something I won't have to replace anytime soon
  • Trainer port, particularly so I can use simulators
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2018, 06:27 PM
Taildragger rc
X10s
Feb 25, 2018, 06:35 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
This attached chart might help. It is still a work in progress.

Mike
Feb 25, 2018, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger21
X10s
What would be the primary reasons for buying that model? How would that compare to the XQ 7?

I'vs looked at that an the X9D plus, and it seems like the XQ7 is nearly the same thing, but cheaper with a few less switches that I probably wouldn't miss. However, I keep reading articles that say things like "the few features the X9D+ has that the QX7 is missing are mostly things useful for fixed wing flyer. I fly fixed wing... any idea if I would be missing something important?
Feb 25, 2018, 07:11 PM
Also, I should probably ask, when looking at these radios online, I see some being sold as an "international" version. I'm in the US... are those OK to use here or should I avoid them?
Feb 25, 2018, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
This attached chart might help. It is still a work in progress.

Mike
Thanks, this is very helpful! I do have a few noob questions though.

My DXE has nothing but basic gimbals and switches, and I've been able to fly my basic planes and drones around withe just those. But some of these Frsky models have additional kinds of controls, such as pots, sliders, and "extra trim". What are those even used for?

Also, I notice some of these say they are quad ball bearing gimbals, while others say "hall sensor". How important is a "hall sensor" and what kind of difference does that make? Is that mostly for people needing extremely fine control for 3d flying? Can you fly some amount of 3d without it?
Feb 28, 2018, 12:39 AM
Bump
Feb 28, 2018, 12:31 PM
I'd get a qx7 or qx7s. It'll do everything you need and more. I have an X9d, if i get a new radio, it'll most likely be a qx7.
Feb 28, 2018, 02:25 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
All FrSky transmitters cover your requirements, as such your best bet is probably the QX7 or QX7S (the latter has upgraded gimbals, well worth the cash) or the X10/X10S if you're looking for better build.

The main reason to move up in the line is generally extra controls and/or sliders and build quality. All are good, but the build on the Horus models is extremely good, vs merely decent on the Taranis models.
Feb 28, 2018, 04:38 PM
O3D
O3D
--------- ✈
I have both a QX7 (with upgraded gimbals) and X9D Plus SE. I use both multiple times a week with both airplanes and quads.

Both will meet all of your stated requirements are are surprisingly more similar than different in terms of features.

The biggest thing I personally prefer about the X9D I like is the SWR/RAS reading which gives me confidence I don't have any radio antenna issues. The larger screen is nice too.

I slightly prefer the ergonomics of the QX7 and like that there is a rubber cover over the open ports (verses the X9D which has open ports on the back of the case)

The X9D comes with internal charging. This can be added the the QX7 with the Aloft hobbies kit and the willingness to drill into your case. I did this and now prefer the charging of the QX7 due to the charging light at the outlet the and nice port cover.

The X9D also comes with an SD card which you need to buy for the QX7.

If I could only keep one, it would be the X9D because of the RAS and screen but I'll restate that the QX7 is really good too.
Feb 28, 2018, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraicMirror
Thanks, this is very helpful! I do have a few noob questions though.

My DXE has nothing but basic gimbals and switches, and I've been able to fly my basic planes and drones around withe just those. But some of these Frsky models have additional kinds of controls, such as pots, sliders, and "extra trim". What are those even used for?

Also, I notice some of these say they are quad ball bearing gimbals, while others say "hall sensor". How important is a "hall sensor" and what kind of difference does that make? Is that mostly for people needing extremely fine control for 3d flying? Can you fly some amount of 3d without it?
All Frsky gimbals are quad (or more) ball bearings. In this application the ball bearings almost never wear out. Cheaper TXs tend to have bushing which tend to wear out much faster. The DXe apparently has bushings.

Hall effect mostly increases the potential reliability due to the lack of physical contact in the sensor. These gimbals also come with new mechanical designs. Some people say the new gimbals are much better and feel more "locked in" than the standard ones. Others don't see what the fuss is about. They are plug compatible (ie analog interface) and have the same resolution (volts per degree) as the standard gimbals so practically there is no difference in the resolution. Possibly they may be more stable (less jitter or drift) but I haven't seen any definitive claim or test that suggests that.

The HorusX10S gimbals are mostly aluminum construction with double bearings and the hall effect sensors have a "digital" interface of some sort which possibly allows them to have a higher resolution or other advantages. I do not know if they do. Some people like the stiffness of the aluminum construction. Other do not like the stiffness, and particularly the heat sucking feel of the aluminum in the cold.

FrSky Tx's that don't come with hall effect gimbals (Q-X7 and X9D+) have DIY upgrades allowing you to add them.
Mar 02, 2018, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressalltheknobs
All Frsky gimbals are quad (or more) ball bearings. In this application the ball bearings almost never wear out. Cheaper TXs tend to have bushing which tend to wear out much faster. The DXe apparently has bushings.
Yep, thatís what I have

Thank you everyone for all this info. It is super helpful! I ended up ordering a QX7. I did not buy Aloftís charging solution or the new gimbals. I want to see how everything works and feels stock, and then I will spend the money to upgrade whichever components I feel need it.

But Iím also building a DSMX external module for it, and cash wise that was the most important immediate upgrade for me.
Mar 03, 2018, 12:29 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
I like the look and feel of the QX7 but would miss having a knob or slider. I use them for flaps and on one of my night flyers I use the knob to vary the intensity of the lights which are controlled by a brushed ESC.

Is it possible to replace one of the multi-position switches with a knob?
Mar 03, 2018, 12:43 PM
No but you can move the pots to a more convenient place and/or replace them with an X9D+ "slider" pot. Quite a few have done it and there a various how to type videos and articles on it if you search around
Mar 03, 2018, 12:44 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressalltheknobs
No but you can move the pots to a more convenient place and/or replace them with an X9D+ "slider" pot. Quite a few have done it and there a various how to type videos and articles on it if you search around
Thank you!!

Quick Reply