wanna get FriSky right now! - RC Groups
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Doug Simmons, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 25, 2018, 07:38 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Doug Simmons's Avatar
Help!

wanna get FriSky right now!


Well, they ought to pronounce it frisky...

I'm tired of waiting for my Spektrum transmitter to die to justify taking the FrSky plunge, I want to take the damn plunge now, today. It's been a while since I crashed anything, so I figure I owe myself a treat. I'm trying real hard to do this right with respect to what's compatible with what in order to accomplish this and that, but I need one or two of you to vet my purchasing game plan before pulling the trigger.

Of all things on which to overspend, I'd put the transmitter right up there with my ol' lady's engagement ring (bless her heart for putting up with me, for example this monetary disappearing act I'm attempting to execute). So if I'm taking this plunge I'm going with the X10S, the Cadillac of the Frsky offerings, I want to take full advantage of it. This includes (firstly flashing OpenTX in case that doesn't go without saying) having sixteen if not thirty-two channels operational, manipulating flight controller settings and indulging in a full-blown telemetry data addiction relapse. With those general requirements I have not found one site that has everything I need, so I need to use multiple vendors.:
  • I'll get the X10S from Aloft or MotionRC, probably not the classifieds.
  • I want either the G-RX8 or the S8R receiver: They both have eight channels ready and capable of more, I think each have full telemetry support, one has a vario built-in, the other has a stabilizer (I only need anti-wind/turbulence, nothing fancy). The G-RX8 is nice and light, but that advantage would be nullified by buying a flight controller and a variometer, which I would want to do
  • To expand either receiver to sixteen channels, I'll need a couple SBUS decoders and the channel changer (what about 32 channels??)
  • To get crazy with telemetry sensors, I think I need this telemetry hub which I'd then plug into the receiver, again, either the G-RX8 or the S8R
I saw a youtube that wasn't very flattering of the S6R's stabilization system, but I don't need the thing to help me cheat in 3D stunts without disabling its AS3X-like stabilization and whatever other shortcomings it has, I just want it to nullify the wind a bit. But if Frsky's stabilization is less than awesome, here I may reluctantly deviate from Frsky and get an Eagle A3 Super 3 which I like. But not needing a separate flight controller just for anti-turbulence would be nice, I like to save weight and mitigate points of failure by having it built in, as with the S8R. And as I said, I'm dropping a bundle on the transmitter, so I'd like to tune up the stabilization from the transmitter.

Shopping links that are apparently not out of stock:For later, maybe:Again, I will be flashing OpenTX. From what I've been told about it and learned on my own, that's actually a leading incentive to pry myself off of Spektrum dependency. I'm deliberately not making a tally of the cost, I just don't want to know; I've made my decision here and I am convinced I'll love Frsky/OpenTX. So getting my feet wet with a Taranis and just a receiver, falling in love and later dropping a bundle on the above items, it's a pointless step that will inflate the cost. That's my way of rationalizing spending a ton of money, though I should work on it in case the missus checks the battle-worn bank account. What the hell was I thinking putting her on the account... Stupid!

Thanks fellas,
Doug

PS: Thanks ITTD for the motivation.
Last edited by Doug Simmons; Apr 11, 2018 at 10:22 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2018, 09:14 AM
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
That's quite the shipping list Doug! (Is envy still considered a sin?)

fyi, If you're going with any of the "X" receivers (and the "S" receivers as well) that have the Smart Port, then you shouldn't need the Telemetry Sensor Hub, as the sensors can be daisy-chained using the S.Port.

Enjoy!

Fergy
Feb 25, 2018, 09:26 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Doug Simmons's Avatar
Quite a shopping list? Nonsense, this post I wrote is paying for itself, you just saved me $20!
Feb 25, 2018, 11:37 AM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
#frskysux
#dontdoit
#hatefrsky
#youllberuined
Feb 25, 2018, 12:28 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Doug Simmons's Avatar
That is, up against countless encouragements to go Frsky, the first remark to the contrary.

I know from your writing and your videos that you know what you're talking about but you also enjoy humor. Because you only spoke in hashtags, now I have to dig through a bunch of your posts until I find one related to radio equipment in order to determine whether you were joking here. I think you were, but I have to check, you're mysterious. You're enigmatic.


edit: That was easy, funny man. Maybe I'll see you on the Durafly Tundra on OpenTx/Horus-Taranis thread soon.
Last edited by Doug Simmons; Feb 25, 2018 at 01:00 PM.
Feb 25, 2018, 02:07 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Simmons
That is, up against countless encouragements to go Frsky, the first remark to the contrary.

I know from your writing and your videos that you know what you're talking about but you also enjoy humor. Because you only spoke in hashtags, now I have to dig through a bunch of your posts until I find one related to radio equipment in order to determine whether you were joking here. I think you were, but I have to check, you're mysterious. You're enigmatic.


edit: That was easy, funny man. Maybe I'll see you on the Durafly Tundra on OpenTx/Horus-Taranis thread soon.


#youarescrewd

#youwillhavedrankthecoolaid

#spektrumwho?

#frskyrox
Feb 25, 2018, 03:02 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Doug Simmons's Avatar
Nice, the 18 pwm hub sbus thing from Aloft which I think was sold out last night has been re-upped, I think with that I don't need two decoders and the channel changer. Going with the S8R. Seems I can get all I need from Aloft now, no need to split this up.

I just need a few moments to work up the nerve to hit checkout, that's the biggest chunk of cash I've unloaded in one RC-related click. Almost there.
Feb 25, 2018, 03:34 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Simmons
Nice, the 18 pwm hub sbus thing from Aloft which I think was sold out last night has been re-upped, I think with that I don't need two decoders and the channel changer. Going with the S8R. Seems I can get all I need from Aloft now, no need to split this up.

I just need a few moments to work up the nerve to hit checkout, that's the biggest chunk of cash I've unloaded in one RC-related click. Almost there.
#pppuuuuuusssshthebutton

#dontlookback

#yerruined

#yerwifesgonnakillya

#basementflooded

b
Feb 25, 2018, 05:11 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
nioa's Avatar
You haven't said what your flying, but consider the QX7S. It is less expensive, and very functional.

I'm coming from Futaba 18SZ, and I wanted something inexpensive for the quads. The QX7S is very solid, and versatile. If you need to flash sensors or receivers, the QX7 has a built in dedicated S.Port bus for doing that. I have no regrets. Even the OpenTx O/S is not that hard to figure out. As long as you are at Aloft, consider the QX7 Manual for like $15 bucks, worth it.

Good luck,

Nick
Feb 25, 2018, 05:23 PM
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
#16channelswillpoweryourkeurig
#clickbuy
Feb 25, 2018, 05:29 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFergy
#16channelswillpoweryourkeurig
#clickbuy
#justanamazingplatform

#crazydougieheadinginrightdirection
Feb 25, 2018, 05:36 PM
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
Cant go wrong with FrSky stuff, really. It just works.

Fergy

Plus, its very economical!
Feb 25, 2018, 05:44 PM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
rikybob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFergy
Can’t go wrong with FrSky stuff, really. It just works.

Fergy

Plus, it’s very economical!
It's funny, (as if Dougie isn't in the room.)

Dougie is sharp, albeit insane and understands the VERY technical end of this. ITTD produced verifiable data to young Dougie to which he had to relent that "Frisky" is, in fact AMAZING.

I suspect that Sir Dougie of Mania has been coveting OpenTx all along but just needed to kill enough of his Spektrash to be able to make the leap!

b
Feb 25, 2018, 05:45 PM
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
Indeed.
Feb 26, 2018, 12:07 AM
ITTD you're Clear for Takeoff!
IntheTubeDeep's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Simmons
Well, they ought to pronounce it frisky...

I'm tired of waiting for my Spektrum transmitter to die to justify taking the FrSky plunge, I want to take the damn plunge now, today. It's been a while since I crashed anything, so I figure I owe myself a treat. I'm trying real hard to do this right with respect to what's compatible with what in order to accomplish this and that, but I need one or two of you to vet my purchasing game plan before pulling the trigger.

Of all things on which to overspend, I'd put the transmitter right up there with my ol' lady's engagement ring (bless her heart for putting up with me, for example this monetary disappearing act I'm attempting to execute). So if I'm taking this plunge I'm going with the X10S, the Cadillac of the Frsky offerings, I want to take full advantage of it. This includes (firstly flashing OpenTX in case that doesn't go without saying) having sixteen if not thirty-two channels operational, manipulating flight controller settings and indulging in a full-blown telemetry data addiction relapse. With those general requirements I have not found one site that has everything I need, so I need to use multiple vendors.:
  • I'll get the X10S from Aloft or MotionRC, probably not the classifieds.
  • I want either the G-RX8 or the S8R receiver: They both have eight channels ready and capable of more, I think each have full telemetry support, one has a vario built-in, the other has a stabilizer (I only need anti-wind/turbulence, nothing fancy). The G-RX8 is nice and light, but that advantage would be nullified by buying a flight controller and a variometer, which I would want to do
  • To expand either receiver to sixteen channels, I'll need a couple SBUS decoders and the channel changer (what about 32 channels??)
  • To get crazy with telemetry sensors, I think I need this telemetry hub which I'd then plug into the receiver, again, either the G-RX8 or the S8R
I saw a youtube that wasn't very flattering of the S6R's stabilization system, but I don't need the thing to help me cheat in 3D stunts without disabling its AS3X-like stabilization and whatever other shortcomings it has, I just want it to nullify the wind a bit. But if Frsky's stabilization is less than awesome, here I may reluctantly deviate from Frsky and get an Eagle A3 Super 3 which I like. But not needing a separate flight controller just for anti-turbulence would be nice, I like to save weight and mitigate points of failure by having it built in, as with the S8R. And as I said, I'm dropping a bundle on the transmitter, so I'd like to tune up the stabilization from the transmitter.

Shopping links that are apparently not out of stock:For later, maybe:Again, I will be flashing OpenTX. From what I've been told about it and learned on my own, that's actually a leading incentive to pry myself off of Spektrum dependency. I'm deliberately not making a tally of the cost, I just don't want to know; I've made my decision here and I am convinced I'll love Frsky/OpenTX. So getting my feet wet with a Taranis and just a receiver, falling in love and later dropping a bundle on the above items, it's a pointless step that will inflate the cost. That's my way of rationalizing spending a ton of money, though I should work on it in case the missus checks the battle-worn bank account. What the hell was I thinking putting her on the account... Stupid!

Thanks fellas,
Doug

PS: Thanks ITTD for the motivation.

Haha Doug about time man! Hey don't worry about the $- you'll get it all back and then some when you sell your Spek gear on the Classifieds

X10S solid radio- I have the Horus from Beta days but still prefer my X9D+, since the beach just is a killer with sand and salt water! Remember all the Smart Port Sensors are Daisy Chained together no Hub needed. Try the S8R if works great, you might want a bunch of regular X8Rs also, X4Rs for park flyers!

Make sure when you're downloading the firmware for OpenTx 2.2.3 select correct radio ie Horus X10S in Companion 2.2 >Preferences >Radio Type>Horus X10/X10S before downloading the latest FW! Big error is flashing wrong FW to radio and bricking it temporarily! you're gonna love OpenTx!!


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! New and wanna get it right! Elcie Nitro and Glow Power Cars 4 Aug 03, 2013 02:09 AM
Wanna Get it right the first time Someone Electric Heli Talk 31 Mar 06, 2005 08:23 AM
parker is going crazy right now, anyone wanna go? KingOfTheHill Slope 13 Dec 03, 2004 09:39 AM