Feb 25, 2018, 01:49 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Tyco Typhoon Hovercraft rebuild

I purchased a White taiyco typhoon hovercraft off ebay with the intent of trying to rebuild it with a s3 lipo and new speed controllers and motors however i though i would try just get it going to begin with and just solder on the connectors for a 11.1v 2200mah lipo.
It went surprisingly well
Here is the Imgur Album
I had to pull it completely apart and clean it. The motors work but i took measurements of them anyway where i plan to replace them with newer ones if i can.
I designed and 3d printed a new back cover for the RC controller as it was missing.

The hardest part was using rubber cement to glue some bike tube to the inside of the rubber skirt. it was extensively damaged, it doesnt look great up close but worked great as there is a video to show it working

Now i soldered on a lipo connector which i will upload as well but i did a timing on use time and it lasted for a solid 18 minutes of heavy use.

Although it goes better that i though it would i do plan to do some modificaitons on it. i will be replacing the main fan with a brushless motor and will experiment with 3d printed fanblades see if i can play with the lift.

i also want to 3d print the back 2 main fan housings. They just screw off so i will be able to scan them in and make them larger to accommodate bigger motors. I love the look of these Hovercraft so i dont want to go too crazy with changes.
Last edited by noxidc; Feb 25, 2018 at 02:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2018, 08:06 AM
Thread OP
Taiyco Hovercraft rotor fins

So this is the STL i made for the Rotor fins as the original rotor has a crack. Works well. might test with different designs from the scad file included in the post
Mar 03, 2018, 12:32 PM
Are not men? We are DEVO! (7e)
nice restoration!
Apr 07, 2019, 08:47 PM
wow i been thinking about doing the same
great work
Jun 13, 2019, 02:11 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Nice work!

Your post made me look at my hovercraft on the shelf, which has a damaged skirt too...
BTW, the iron covers over the motors also work as a fluxring, slightly increasing the torque.

Regards, Jan.
Jul 28, 2019, 10:12 PM
Very cool ! I just picked up another T2 Mini to accompany my small fleet. I'm running a 1500maH 3s in mine, i don't run an alarm and just time to run 10-12 mins then check the cell statuses.

Quick Reply