Jan 22, 2020, 07:20 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Greg is exactly right about using wood glue sparingly. I will admit that I do use mostly CA when I can. My decisions have more to due with where and how fast I want it to set, and how much penetration I need. There are places using wood glue can cause serious warps especially when there are two different types of materials. Using wood glue works well mating the TE top and bottom pieces together. The secrete is a very thin coat, and weighing it down. I use a yard stick and weights. If you use CA in this location you will get a lot of fumes. Once you lay the top piece on it better be aligned perfect because there is good chance there no second chance even with thick CA.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2020, 07:45 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Have you tried 'Slo-Zap', it gives you time to position parts.

Quote:
VERY HIGH VISCOSITY FORMULA
SUPER THICK AND SUPER STRONG
ALLOWS PART POSITIONING FOR APPROXIMATELY 30 TO 40 SECONDS
USE ZIP KICKER TO ACCELERATE CURE TIME
AVAILABLE IN 2 SIZES
Quote:
Uses:
SLO-ZAP CA Is called a thick formula. The thicker the formula, the slower the cure time, that’s why we call it SLO-ZAP. Although it is thick it is still a liquid and will flow. Penetration into porous materials is very minimal. SLO-ZAP is an excellent gap filler and provides extra time when positioning wood parts. In modeling its ideal for laminating wood parts and forming fillets. Because its thick, it will not run, it forms a very clean even fillet around all types of joints. The high cured strength means it works great on higher stress areas. This is a specialty glue and mostly used in modeling, wood working, antique furniture repair, and mold / pattern shops. Wood turners use this product as the final filler when repairing larger cracks. Furniture refinishers use this glue in conjunction with zip kicker to repair loose chair rungs, and mortis and tenon joints. Mold and pattern shops use it to fill in cracks and seams. Use it on fiberglass and fabric to partially fill in the weave and to bond the cloth to the substrate. When dry it produces a very hard surface.
SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 22, 2020 at 07:50 PM.
Jan 23, 2020, 10:07 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
The good ship lollipop arrive today with more 130 fuse sets for the 3.5’s. The custom lite booms are nice at 1.4 oz approx that only go with YJ 3.5’s. Plus there is another batch in process behind these. The pods are also lighter than those in the initial release of the 130. CLM has been very good at finding ways to meet my weight targets. Very Happy!!!

It’s interesting the boom material is thin, but when I trim it little with my small diamond blade table saw I find it tougher. Thin, high strength CF.

Lead times are long like a couple months but it’s worth the wait.

I’m talking to them about bringing in Oralight covering so stay tuned.
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Jan 23, 2020 at 10:13 PM.
Jan 23, 2020, 10:43 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
I am reposting this in case you missed it. Enjoy

Sonoran Laser Art 2019 mp4 (3 min 39 sec)
Jan 23, 2020, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
The good ship lollipop arrive today with more 130 fuse sets for the 3.5ís. The custom lite booms are nice at 1.4 oz approx that only go with YJ 3.5ís. Plus there is another batch in process behind these. The pods are also lighter than those in the initial release of the 130. CLM has been very good at finding ways to meet my weight targets. Very Happy!!!

Itís interesting the boom material is thin, but when I trim it little with my small diamond blade table saw I find it tougher. Thin, high strength CF.

Lead times are long like a couple months but itís worth the wait.

Iím talking to them about bringing in Oralight covering so stay tuned.
Are these the same lollipops you shipped out about 2 weeks ago?
Jan 24, 2020, 07:35 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasperwing
Are these the same lollipops you shipped out about 2 weeks ago?
Yes, this is the next batch as those are all gone.
Jan 25, 2020, 07:18 PM
How close is the YJ3.5 to this plane? I think y'all said that the 3.5 has been hand launched and fly out. I realize that one would have to release the plane at the approximate time the thermal came through. Thoughts?

Jon Garber hand launches Ultima 2 F5J sailplane and takes it out. (2 min 59 sec)
Jan 25, 2020, 08:32 PM
Where he crosses the mown part of that field, at about :55-1:00 mark, I've had mine about that low and climbed it out. I know some have climbed out lower than that.
I motor launch anyway and never really tried to hand launch and climb out.
With the line launch 3.5 I'm building now, maybe I'll have more opportunity and incentive to try.

But I have no doubt if a good pilot were to hand launch right into a thermal it can climb out.
Jan 25, 2020, 08:40 PM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
The first time I saw this done from a hand launch was in the mid 1990’s in Visalia, CA by Ben Clerx with probably a 70oz 3m model. The Kleenex model makes all the easier though.
Jan 25, 2020, 09:03 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
I have personally seen Jon do this 2-3 times. He is very talented at reading air and flying. Could he do it with a YJ 3.5 probably but it wouldn’t be quite as easy. The gap is not wide but it’s enough to make a difference. The pilot can make a big difference and when those good pilots have a 38 oz 4M it’s tougher. If they all flew YJ then they wouldn’t have to buy a $3k plane.
Jan 25, 2020, 09:56 PM
AECS USN RET. P3 FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasperwing
How close is the YJ3.5 to this plane? I think y'all said that the 3.5 has been hand launched and fly out. I realize that one would have to release the plane at the approximate time the thermal came through. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFEq...ature=youtu.be
About the same as a Kia vs. Audi
Both do the same thing only it's much easier in the expensive one.
I watched Brian Agnew hand launch 3M 70 oz's 20 years ago,on a consistent basis
Jan 25, 2020, 09:59 PM

Corky..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
I have personally seen Jon do this 2-3 times. He is very talented at reading air and flying. Could he do it with a YJ 3.5 probably but it wouldnít be quite as easy. The gap is not wide but itís enough to make a difference. The pilot can make a big difference and when those good pilots have a 38 oz 4M itís tougher. If they all flew YJ then they wouldnít have to buy a $3k plane.

Were I able to visit with y'all over a beer or a day of flying I would ask this kind of question. Since that is not possible at this time, please bare with he question now.

What enables the 38 oz, 4M bird to do it easier? Is it the lower wing loading or its ability to turn such a small diameter circle ( which is needed since the thermal energy bubble is so small ) ? .... all things else being equal... or maybe they are not equal?
Last edited by Kasperwing; Jan 25, 2020 at 10:23 PM.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanp
About the same as a Kia vs. Audi
Both do the same thing only it's much easier in the expensive one.
I watched Brian Agnew hand launch 3M 70 oz's 20 years ago,on a consistent basis

Well if he did this with a 70oz plane, certainly a 3.5M at 40oz would do great!!!
Jan 25, 2020, 10:09 PM
AECS USN RET. P3 FE
Never said a YJ wouldn't do it !! It's simply easier with a "glass slipper @ sub 50 ounces".
If you can't read air odds on accomplishing this are almost the same as picking lottery numbers..
Jan 26, 2020, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanp
Never said a YJ wouldn't do it !! It's simply easier with a "glass slipper @ sub 50 ounces".
If you can't read air odds on accomplishing this are almost the same as picking lottery numbers..
I seems my statement was ambiguous. What I meant was since weight is an issue, the lighter the plane the better they will perform.

Yes, you are correct....

AS time has passed, better technology, learned skills, available light weight strong building materials have given us the ability to build better performing planes now, compared to years ago....

I WAS NOT saying or implying anything else.

Quick Reply