Update: Shepard Tone Vario for OpenTX - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 23, 2018, 07:12 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers

Update: Shepard Tone Vario for OpenTX

The Shepard Tone Vario is pretty-much ready and will be released after some of my friends have tested it.

Version #1 was an attempt to create Shepard tones using the limited sound capabilities of the playTone() function of OpenTX Lua, but that didn't work out very well. This new version uses a set of 50 WAV files that I spent many hours creating using a combination of several tools, including Audacity. This will almost certainly undergo further refinement but I believe it's quite functional in its current form.

Credit for the idea goes to Helmut Stettmaier, who describes it in the March 2018 issue of Radio Controlled Soaring Digest. Please read his article for more information.

Shepard Tone Vario for OpenTX (2 min 26 sec)

Some Shepard tone videos:

The sound illusion that makes Dunkirk so intense (3 min 2 sec)

These are Shepard-Risset Glissandos, rising:

Shepard Tone (5 min 1 sec)

and falling:

Shepard Tones - Falling (2 min 1 sec)

All of the radio mods and programming setups in my blog are developed with, and designed for, the FrSky Taranis Plus using OpenTX version 2.1.9. If you've adapted any of them to other radios or later OpenTX versions, or found a better way to do what I've described here, please feel free to describe your version or link to it in the comment section below the relevant post.

I'm currently satisfied with OpenTX 2.1.9 and have no plan to upgrade.

Last edited by Miami Mike; Mar 01, 2018 at 10:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply