Jan 02, 2019, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastphil_v
well I ordered parts yesterday so waiting a few days. I did find one picture on the Chief website that shows the inside of one of these with gas power. Assuming it flies with this setup, it gives some clues as to gas tank, throttle servo, battery, etc. It also uses pull-pull rudder - I had been considering putting the rudder servo on the tail based on what the 20cc Extra builders were doing to meet CG. They also used a DLE20 with side exhaust so I need to decide if I'll use that or a Pitts muffler.
It's easy to justify the DLE when selecting engines. It's easily the lightest of the bunch, and there are no downsides when compared to the others. When deciding which one though, side exhaust vs. rear, There is no question which will get my nod. The rear exhaust version is clearly the winner when it comes to compact dimensions, nearly always a factor when talking fully cowled 20 size planes. Yes, it's a few bucks more, but when you add the price of a decent wrap around Pitts type muffler to the price of the side exhaust version, and consider the extra bulk of that install, the cost rear exhaust cost downside becomes much easier to justify.... My thought anyway, FWIW. -Al
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2019, 12:40 AM
flyin' Dude
Agreed 100%. If I was buying a new one for this plane I would get the RA. But I already have two of the side exhaust so that’s what I’ll use. So I just need to decide whether to use the pitts muffler (ordered one from VVRC) so will try both for size before I cut the cowl.
Jan 04, 2019, 03:57 PM
flyin' Dude
I've been doing a lot of head scratching about how to reinforce the motor box. I've made some cardboard templates to fabricate some thin ply sheeting for the floor and sides - what do you guys think? Will this be enough?

I will also close off the front to keep oil out of the interior - thinking of making a removable plate to cover the big opening under the motor box, but I haven't mocked that up yet.

Any inputs from more experienced builders would be appreciated.

Phil
Jan 05, 2019, 06:01 PM
Here is what I'm going to do. Tri stock and fiber cloth. I like your idea as well but don't want to add to much weight. I've also decided to install the rudder servo in the tail.
Jan 05, 2019, 06:06 PM
More pics
Jan 05, 2019, 07:40 PM
FWIW, I'd leave mine alone after adding the tri stock and making sure all the seams are well glued, on the lighter is better plan. Then keep an eye on it.

When it comes to reinforcements, seems like I read about some trouble in the area where the wing tube passes through the fuse when these things were first introduced. Haven't had one in my hands yet, but it be a good place to check out.
Jan 06, 2019, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
I had one of these in the blue scheme and absolutely loved it ! It flew great! Had a DLE 20 and hs5645 on all surfaces. I did mount the rudder servo in the tail for balance. Also beefed up the landing gear. Unfortunately I was flying on a windy day and let her slow down a bit much with the wind on her tail and she fell out of the sky. The one down side of these planes is when they crash your left with a pile of wood chips and 2 composite rods that run the whole fuse. They are VERY lightly built! If I had the funds I'd buy another one but I'm in the process of putting together a 50cc and 10cc plane at the moment so maybe in the future if they don't discontinue them .
Jan 06, 2019, 05:34 PM
flyin' Dude
Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep it light and see how it goes.

Kaitai22, thanks for chiming in. Nice to hear from someone who has flown it.
Jan 06, 2019, 09:54 PM
flyin' Dude
Imac or kaitai, how did you attach the eyelet to the rudder for the tailwheel spring?
Jan 07, 2019, 10:57 AM
flyin' Dude
Deleted
Last edited by fastphil_v; Jan 07, 2019 at 12:57 PM.
Jan 08, 2019, 10:47 PM
flyin' Dude
Slow progress but did get the stab on today (I’m always anxious about the stab but it always ends up good). Cut the cowl for DLE20 yesterday so the cowl is on over the engine and looks good - though I did need a small cutout for the front of the muffler. The rear exhaust would be better but I’m using what I have. Tail servos are mounted (rudder in the tail). Wings should go quickly. Got my AR8010 in the mail. Gas tank ready to go (using a 12 oz. Dubro). Next real challenge will be to start placing stuff in the fuse and finding a permanent place for everything.
Last edited by fastphil_v; Jan 08, 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Jan 09, 2019, 08:21 AM
Have you considered doing a mock up that will let you check your CG as "stuff" is placed on/within the fuse to optimize correct CG?

Too often you hear about guys who have installed stuff like the rudder servos placed in the tail, only to have to add nose weight, when the servo could have been located/installed mid ship without adding any weight.

I started doing this a few years ago and haven't had to add ballast weight to a plane since. Directions/plans totally ignored in favor of this process. Put stuff where it needs to go to balance, regardless of what the plans/directions/other builders indicate. Balance YOUR plane doing what is required to achieve balance using YOUR hardware/electronics.

This done after installing the engine, cowl, prop, spinner, landing gear, rudder, tail surfaces, wings totally built w/servos and linkages, etc. In other words, fully built where there are no/few options. THEN do your mock up with everything but the battery, receiver, elevator and rudder servos installed. Locate that stuff as required to balance the plane. Done. Plane now built as light as possible with NO BALLAST. -Al
Jan 09, 2019, 11:38 AM
flyin' Dude
That is sound advice, Al. I was going to check rudder servo in both locations but since all others with this plane and the Extra 20cc put it in the tail I went ahead with it. Plus I prefer the direct linkage to the rudder. If I have to, I will move it forward and cover the hole with the xtra covering provided.
Jan 09, 2019, 02:47 PM
Excellent plan. Keep an open mind on where stuff needs to go. I prefer the short direct linkage you can get with a rear install as well, but not if it's going to cost me 8oz of ballast because of it. I'll come up with a sturdy way of getting the servo power back to the tail for that kind of incentive, for sure!

On a rudder, a pull - pull setup is light and very effective.....
Jan 09, 2019, 10:28 PM
flyin' Dude
Did the wings today. Servos went in easy. Linkages drove me nuts getting the ball joints on til I figured out one end is reverse threaded. Like turnbuckles but without the hex thing in the middle to allow you to adjust it. Except for one of the links which was “circle” threaded on one end; in other words, not actually threaded but a series of concentric rings so it was useless I’ve actually seen that once before and it drove me crazy then, too, til I figured out the threads went nowhere. Anyway, wings are done and they look good.

Quick Reply