Feb 02, 2019, 12:01 PM
flyin' Dude
Good advice. I can do most of that on my QQ Extra. For me, 3D is like going to the gym - I don’t really like it that much but it makes me a better pilot. My style is to mostly fly IMAC routines with some 3D in between circuits to spice things up. I focus on precision as I like it to look smooth in the air. And 3D really helps train the brain to get the control inputs right for every orientation. And conversely, IMAC also makes you a better 3D pilot - we have a young national champ in our club who upped his freestyle game significantly when he started practicing IMAC.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2019, 11:49 AM
flyin' Dude
Crappy weather now so thought Id post some pics from the last good weather day. I must have close to 30 flights on it now. Great companion to my 74 EF Edge.
Mar 19, 2019, 04:53 PM
flyin' Dude
Just a quick update: I now have many, many successful flights on this plane. No signs at all of stress or weakness with the gas engine. Absolutely no bad habits. Pulls at least as strong as my 74" with DA-35. Positive reviews at the field. Good 3D yet still precise enough to practice my IMAC routine. Easy to see in the air and easy on the eyes. Easy landing - it's a floater. Its so good I am considering giving it some better servos to see how good it can get. My only regret is not buying this a year earlier! Phil
Jun 11, 2019, 09:30 PM
flyin' Dude
Still going strong. Worst problem I’ve had is one engine mount screw came loose and throttle servo plate screws loosened. Canopy still closes tight. I fly it often so 60-70 flights now. Dle20 very strong in this light plane - I never need full throttle. Surprised I don’t see more of these.
Jun 30, 2019, 10:49 AM
I've often thought of getting one of Pilot's 20cc planes. Seem to be great flyers. I've got 4 of their 35cc planes and love them all. Might be nice to have something even smaller for quick trips to the club field.
Jun 30, 2019, 11:18 PM
flyin' Dude
DJH, I think it’s perfect for 20cc engines. Not many choices that are light enough for good performance with a full fuse. If you have a 20cc and some HS5645s looking for a home, go for it. It uses half the fuel of my 35cc so your gas can lasts forever. I wouldn’t say it flies better than bigger planes, but they all have their place. I fly this one more than anything else right now, maybe because it’s low stress, or just newer, but I just like it.
Jul 01, 2019, 02:54 PM
Here's mine and a feeble attempt at low harriers on this day. The wind was crossing the runway close to 20 and the trees you see cause a rolling effect so you get the idea. I've had better days including landing harriers but this one just gives me a chuckle. Sharing my worst since the camera was off for the best.

High Wind Harrier Training (0 min 44 sec)

Pilot Extra 330, DLE 20.
Jul 01, 2019, 05:55 PM
Kmatch,
That ending was funny! Nice flying though. That Extra was handling all that wind pretty well! I have the pilot Extra in the 78 inch size. Great flyer!
Jul 02, 2019, 03:34 PM
I have the 67" Pilot Extra, 88" Extra, and just today picked up a 107 Pilot Edge (V1 or 2? Not V3). These just keep attracting me for some reason. Oddly the 67" is very precise. If it does something stupid, it was because it was told to do something stupid and that's what I like about them. I don't want to be limited by a plane but to have a plane well beyond my abilities so I can evolve.
Jul 02, 2019, 04:56 PM
flyin' Dude
KMatch, pretty funny. My harriers look like that too but about 100 higher
Jul 02, 2019, 10:10 PM
Its a great flying design for sure. I went with the 78" because its the biggest I can fit in my rig. The nice thing about the 67" is I could fit something else in as well.

Quick Reply