May 22, 2019, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywilly57
My wife wants to buy an RV. Which should I rent?? :-)
Haha... interesting subject.. Mr. Mooney does know quite a bit about the RV life. He helped guide my wife and I to our current home away from home. of which we're very pleased, and it's sitting outside my house right now waiting for our next adventure.

The subject does play into a discussion on reasonable travel in competition no doubt. There might be many different aspects to a family's needs for RV'ing and best scenario is taking the time to figure out what works best, and what's affordable.

After several months(probably a few years really) we finally landed on a Class C that we can live with for a long time, and can tow most any vehicle that's reasonably towable. It was about floor-plan, affordablity, and versatility for us... and opportunity to find it.

As for renting, start with what you like. They're all available. The bigger they are the more money of course. Our Class C will take us out many years if we can do it. There's probably several rental outlets, private and corporate, that do rental. Just study it all. Get the most for your money, and what makes you happy, and hopefully it will balance for years to come.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Just be aware that like models, there is no perfect solution. You have to decide what your primary use will be and then start looking. Renting some different types might help you decide which one/type you'd prefer.

I've had most of them except for a motor home. Never did cotton to being stuck in one place with no transportation unless you are willing to break down the whole campsite to go somewhere local in the motor home.

I initially started with RV's for hunting purposes, now it's just for hauling to model meets. So I have a 5th wheel Toy Hauler that I bought when I had ATV's and before the models. Now it works great for hauling models and one of my bucket list items; going to Joe Nall worked out really well with that trailer and camping on site. Some of the other things to consider with a motor home vs. a trailer is insurance and maintenance. A motor home will be a chunk more expensive although after this week were it cost me $1700 to fix the generator and fuel station on the trailer, it makes you wonder.....
May 23, 2019, 11:59 AM
I agree with Zeeb. Something to consider might be if you already have a vehicle to tow a trailer. Be it a conventional, fifth-wheel, toy-hauler, etc...

For us, we didn't/don't have a vehicle that's equipped to tow a larger trailer(I can tow a cargo trailer if I owned one)... So the choice to spend more money for a vehicle to tow with was definitely a deciding factor... and we did ponder that option. Ultimately though we decided on the Class C, for a few of those type reasons.

We figured with that Class C, that can tow whatever we want... and that Class C motorhome was quite a bit less money the buying just a newer truck by itself. We'll decide at some point what we might want to tow... weather it be a plane hauler, or my bike, or even a "toad"(small transpo vehicle behind the motorhome.

Ours is an older model('02), but with only now 29,000 miles, and still pretty clean, it's got years of life and traveling left in it... and it was about half the cost of a newer model truck with larger tow capacity.

Insurance isn't any more then every day transportation... actually quite a bit cheaper then our 2015 Ford Escape. Registration is about the same as our every day cars... cheaper then our newer vehicle too. Very reasonable for what it is all things considered.

We don't need the latest greatest, just something reliable and affordable that does what we're wanting to do.

We've been to 2 contests with ours, and probably have 3 more this year. It's made it so enjoyable for both of us... just great times so far. There's something really cool about waking up and walking out of your rig and you're already at the flying field.

Mooney was very helpful along the way, and we had many conversations about it, and will have many more as time goes on. If you have a need to go to events that are overnighters or further from home, it's a great way to go.

If you already have a larger tow vehicle, the Class C may not be the best option. There's some very nice toy-haulers out there too... of which can carry a few or more larger planes, and can accomodate a few or more people comfortably.

I honestly think it does help in the focus factor, as you're there, you can relax, and enjoy. I've placed in both events, done well I think, and during the flying day I have a little place in my rig to regroup for the next rounds. Just something to think about along the "Competing in Pattern" thread.
May 23, 2019, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
According to my wife: " It should be able to do drinks for 6, dinner for 4, and sleep 2. And if it has porcelain floors, residential refrigerator and a fireplace, so much the belter....
All kidding aside, no matter what you do it will typically be a compromise, at least the first one. We were at the local RV show at the Savemart Center and did not see anything we liked better than our Georgetown. So I figure I'm good for at least a few years!
May 23, 2019, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
J

I initially started with RV's for hunting purposes, now it's just for hauling to model meets. So I have a 5th wheel Toy Hauler that I bought when I had ATV's and before the models. Now it works great for hauling models and one of my bucket list items; going to Joe Nall worked out really well with that trailer and camping on site.
Gee, now I'm feeling inferior..... lol

I was parked at the Reserved area of the Joe Nall and there was a circle of five big Class A's similar to yours parked just across the dirt road from where I was parked. One of them was coal black with lots of polished aluminum, big diesel pusher and belonged to Jace Dussia's family.
May 23, 2019, 07:10 PM
Hi Zeeb. That's quite a view you have there in the background of your humble abode!
May 23, 2019, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys! I'm leaning towards towing versus driving, but probably because my dad had an Airstream back in the '60s. I got to see a lot of eastern Canada that way. I'll probably rent for at least the first couple of trips and then we'll get serious. It has to accommodate my dogs, too (a Newfoundland and a Shepard Huskie mix) they take up more space than kids!
May 23, 2019, 10:42 PM
A stones throw to the ocean... we love this stuf!
May 24, 2019, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Walker
Hi Zeeb. That's quite a view you have there in the background of your humble abode!
No doubt! I love Utah. most scenic state in the union...
May 24, 2019, 11:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant
A stones throw to the ocean... we love this stuf!
Seriously???? LOL!
May 24, 2019, 04:13 PM
Sorry for sort of hijacking this thread, but I'll justify it by saying that pattern competition and RV-ing/camping go together like peanut butter and jelly. And the responses seem to validate it. Maybe if I get some sort of RV, I'll get back to pattern competition.
May 25, 2019, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
No hijack! I agree with you completely. Having done the drives at o dark 30 to save a nights cost in a hotel many times, an RV is super. We will usually get to a contest Friday evening or afternoon, setup, maybe get in a flight or two, then walk 200 feet to the barge and dinner. Hang out with whoever else is staying (which seems to be growing, 4 motorhomes and 3 travel trailers at the last event). I don't have to take the plane apart, rush to the hotel, take a shower and find a place to eat. Everything is 200 feet away. The wives get together and do their thing, everyone has a pretty good time. Now its texting each other to see who is bringing what for dinner and desert and what end of the field we will setting up.
We are there for the flying, but you can only swap lies so much. It's also about enjoying the company of like minded folks and a relaxing weekend.
We use our Georgetown a lot more than just contests, it's just contests are an added benefit.
Now that DGrant has led me see the "dark side", Our wives are really anxious to do our first IMAC contest together. God knows what that will be like!

flywilly57, do it!
May 27, 2019, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, Mooney!
I just purchased my first IMAC plane (an Extreme Flight Laser which a friend picked up for me at Joe Nall); some (minimal) assembly required. I'll get it in the air this year... :-)
-Will
May 27, 2019, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement, Mooney!
I just purchased my first IMAC plane (an Extreme Flight Laser which a friend picked up for me at Joe Nall); some (minimal) assembly required. I'll get it in the air this year... :-)
-Will
This year?? Slap that thing together and get out there! I think you will enjoy yourself. I was fortunate last year when I "came back". I basically knew what to expect in competitions, although the equipment was SOOOO different than it was when I quit flying 25 years ago. I enjoyed the challenge then and still do now. From what I see on various forums both IMAC as well as F3A are hurting for attendance. The last F3A contest I attended was flying F3A, "Classic" (what I flew back in the day) as well as EDF jets. All that said, there was 14 rounds available if you had enough aircraft to fly the various classes. I know that there is a push to attract "new" blood in Pattern, but not sure if this is the answer. There were I believe 4-5 IMAC folks who came out and competed, but only F3A. I personally am not interested in pattern that isn't F3A. WHICH is why I'm trying IMAC....
May 27, 2019, 06:21 PM
Play that funky music right
Quote:
Sorry for sort of hijacking this thread, but I'll justify it by saying that pattern competition and RV-ing/camping go together like peanut butter and jelly. And the responses seem to validate it. Maybe if I get some sort of RV, I'll get back to pattern competition.
Lets say you find a used RV/camper
for $5000. I have no clue what they cost. How many hotel rooms can you buy for $5000?

Ken

Quick Reply