May 18, 2019, 04:29 PM
Hi Andy, that's the way it should be for everyone, when it's done RIGHT!
Last edited by TN Walker; May 18, 2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Correction
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2019, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Walker
Hi Andy, that's the way it should be for everyone, when is done RIGHT!
I wanted to try pattern last year, but my flying skills were questionable and I had a horrible time getting out to fly because of "life", this year I am determined to get my flying skills better and get intp pattern, this is the type of thread that makes me realize it would be a agreat investment of my time
May 18, 2019, 05:36 PM
Thread OP
It actually is. Even if you never compete, the practice will make you a much better pilot. It does take a bit of determination in the beginning, at least it did for me. There were, and still are, no pattern pilots within a 2 hour drive, so my "caller" (wife) has an excellent opportunity to pick me apart!
I also managed to loose the ability to practice at the Fresno club as "they",( who ever they are) decided that "sequence" flying should be banned. And so it was. I did join a club on the other side of town, and have managed to find a couple other places to fly that are invite only. I only manage to practice every couple weeks at this point. That said, I still enjoy the comrade of the contests.
The down side of pattern life for me is the time between contests. I won't have another contest until the beginning of August.
But fear not! There are other avenues to sharpen your skills, (IMAC) especially in the entry levels where any type of plane is allowed. It's all there to do, you just have to do it!
May 18, 2019, 07:37 PM
Hi Mooney. I can tell you are determined. Overtime you will progress inspite of the Fresno club and one day, you will have the satisfaction of having developed a very fine skill and all of "them" will still be boring holes! I too am in a similar situation with only one other pattern flyer approx 85 miles from me but we both have survived and our flying skills have improved over time.
May 20, 2019, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Agreed! I have met some really amazing people here local this last year. Un fortunately they do not fly pattern. They do fly IMAC though. It's a give and take in this sport, both disciplines are complaining of lack of attendance at their respective contests, and participation at the local level was not encouraged at the Fresno club.
That said, the "gas burners" took me under their wing and began inviting me out to the "super secret, invite only" spots. Bastards even got the wife thinking we should fly IMAC, since everyone (the folks I practice with) are taking their motorhomes and travel trailers to stay at the field during competitions and since she gets on well with everyone and their wives, it must be a good idea, right?
Long story short, if you have the will, you will find a way.
And of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity to build up an IMAC plane. I have to have SOMETHING to fly at a contest!
May 20, 2019, 01:45 PM
Dan, you're going to do very well in whatever area of competition you choose. You're the one inspiring us my friend. I know you inspired me to get out of my crib and just do it. It's going to be fun buddy!
Last edited by DGrant; May 20, 2019 at 01:52 PM.
May 20, 2019, 03:47 PM
Man, that garage is disgustingly clean and organized; do you hire out????
May 20, 2019, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant
Dan, you're going to do very well in whatever area of competition you choose. You're the one inspiring us my friend. I know you inspired me to get out of my crib and just do it. It's going to be fun buddy!
Gee, I thought you guys only liked me for my sarcastic humor and endless bitching. Oh wait, that's the other club!
And yes it will!
Last edited by Mooney78865; May 20, 2019 at 04:24 PM.
May 20, 2019, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Man, that garage is disgustingly clean and organized; do you hire out????
Thanks for the compliment! But this is clean and organized... in the first one it's pretty bad. Ask DGrant, I have a laundry list of social issues, fortunately my garage isn't one of them. Which is good, as I seem to spend a lot of time out there for one reason or another!
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to hire out without express permission from the "boss". This usually involves some sort of prostrating on my part to egress the premises un supervised. In the past, a lack of supervision on my part has led to the purchase of, well, let's say, questionable acquisitions. Hence the user name. Who knew the "boss" wouldn't like to fly IFR and have me say "don't worry, I can't see them either", seriously? how would I have known???
Last edited by Mooney78865; May 20, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
May 20, 2019, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney78865
Thanks for the compliment! But this is clean and organized... in the first one it's pretty bad. Ask DGrant, I have a laundry list of social issues, fortunately my garage isn't one of them. Which is good, as I seem to spend a lot of time out there for one reason or another!
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to hire out without express permission from the "boss". This usually involves some sort of prostrating on my part to egress the premises un supervised. In the past, a lack of supervision on my part has led to the purchase of, well, let's say, questionable acquisitions. Hence the user name. Who knew the "boss" wouldn't like to fly IFR and have me say "don't worry, I can't see them either", seriously? how would I have known???
Garage looks spiffy.....

I have to admit that the first thing I thought of when I saw your username was "Mark 21" since I worked on a lot of those when I was playing A&P in between shifts at the Fire Station. Then I looked at the five digit number and "N" numbers don't usually follow that format. But when you mention "IFR" I've not flown with a lady yet who felt comfortable not being able to see outside.... lol

Are you a Mooney guy?????
May 21, 2019, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Garage looks spiffy.....

I have to admit that the first thing I thought of when I saw your username was "Mark 21" since I worked on a lot of those when I was playing A&P in between shifts at the Fire Station. Then I looked at the five digit number and "N" numbers don't usually follow that format. But when you mention "IFR" I've not flown with a lady yet who felt comfortable not being able to see outside.... lol

Are you a Mooney guy?????
LOL! I am!, or was. I have about 2000 hours PIC. 1100 or so in the Mooney. Great planes, affordable, fast, and a solid IFR platform. And your right, I haven't met one that liked flying in the clouds either!
May 21, 2019, 10:24 PM
Nice looking airplane!

People used to ask me why I didn't own an airplane and I'd tell 'em "buying an airplane is like buying an engagement ring; the expensive part comes later.... "
May 22, 2019, 06:43 AM
The two happiest days in a boat owners life: the day he buys it and the day he sells it :-)
May 22, 2019, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Nice looking airplane!

People used to ask me why I didn't own an airplane and I'd tell 'em "buying an airplane is like buying an engagement ring; the expensive part comes later.... "
I was told late in life the golden rule of acquisition: If it Flies, Floats, or fornicates, (substitute appropriate word) RENT IT! I have broken that rule MANY times! LOL! Except the last part. It will be 37 years this weekend....
May 22, 2019, 03:22 PM
My wife wants to buy an RV. Which should I rent?? :-)

Quick Reply