RCG Place of the Month - Tinley Creek Model Airplane Field - RC Groups

RCG Place of the Month - Tinley Creek Model Airplane Field

This month's featured Place is the Tinley Creek Model Airplane Field located in Matteson, Illinois. This club is home to the Suburban Aero Club of Chicago.

Splash

RCGroups February Place of the Month

Every month we like to feature a group from our Places page. There are literally thousands of Places listed, pointing out sites like flying fields, hobby shops, race tracks and boat ponds all over the world. The RC Map is a great way to find a new place near you and meet some new friends.

This month's featured Place is the Tinley Creek Model Airplane Field located in Matteson, Illinois. This club is home to the Suburban Aero Club of Chicago. They are AMA chartered with the field dating back to 2010. These guys have a great place to fly and host several events during the year. All types of aircraft are welcome including drones, helis, giants scale and jets.

Check out the Tinley Creek Model Airplane Field Places Page

Feb 23, 2018, 06:47 AM
Never Stop Learning
Looks like a great field!
Mar 18, 2018, 11:34 PM
I've been there a couple times. Nice field. Good amount of people.
Mar 22, 2018, 01:48 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
One of the first Drone Races I ever attended was there on a side field, and I never did get over to the main area that day. I need to load up the van and go visit on a nice day, they are only 2 hours from me!
Mar 26, 2018, 08:12 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
I am the current president of Suburban Aero Club of Chicago (SAC) - the club mentioned in the article. In addition to this field we also have access to a large lake where we run float flys twice a month April - October.

If anyone is interested in joining SAC, or in attending our events, please contact me. We also have a presence on Facebook - search for us under suburbanaeroclub

SAC has been in existence for over 50 years, with the renowned Carl Goldberg as a founder member.
Last edited by kallend; Mar 26, 2018 at 08:32 AM.
Mar 26, 2018, 09:18 AM
Rabid Rabbir
Is the field owned and maintained by Cook County or is the club responsible for the upkeep?
Mar 26, 2018, 11:57 AM
Will build for food!!!
Our field is on Cook County Forest Preserve property, but our club dues help do the field cutting of our grass runways.
Mar 26, 2018, 12:19 PM
Rabid Rabbir
It looks like you have a very nice facility. I'm glad that Coo County is supportive of R?C flight. I've flown at some of the other fields in Cook but not yours
Mar 26, 2018, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
One of the first Drone Races I ever attended was there on a side field, and I never did get over to the main area that day. I need to load up the van and go visit on a nice day, they are only 2 hours from me!
Nice, I did not know they did drone races. I have seen the little side field though. Probably where I will practice

You're in Champaign don't they have drone racing @ eli?
Mar 27, 2018, 07:55 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob0073
Nice, I did not know they did drone races. I have seen the little side field though. Probably where I will practice

You're in Champaign don't they have drone racing @ eli?
Oh we do, we have some excellent pilots in our area. The local chapter in Champaign is CIDR of Multi GP. That race was when Multi GP still in its infancy. I still try to get around to some of the races that are within driving distance of me, especially since I have family in Chicago and Indy.

I am still very good friends with a lot of the people I met that first day racing at Tinley Creek. I don't know if they are still holding any races there, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
I am the current president of Suburban Aero Club of Chicago (SAC) - the club mentioned in the article. In addition to this field we also have access to a large lake where we run float flys twice a month April - October.

If anyone is interested in joining SAC, or in attending our events, please contact me. We also have a presence on Facebook - search for us under suburbanaeroclub

SAC has been in existence for over 50 years, with the renowned Carl Goldberg as a founder member.
I am a longtime seaplane flyer, I would love to come up to fly off the water with you guys! I have a really schweeet little flying boat that Andy Kunz cut for me that I built with my kids, the dreamboat, it's a sheer delight. I also have a classic 1/4 scale Sig Cub that I have floats for but I haven't flown off water yet, and if you guys can put up with me, I fly an Icon FPV with head tracking off the water, that is wild!

Quick Reply