Air Hogs Supernova Gesture Controlled Drone

Air Hogs had a new drone on hand at Toy Fair 2018 called the Supernova. It doesn't have any cameras and it doesn't connect to a remote controller or your phone. Instead the Supernova is controlled solely by your hands.

Splash

Is Gesture Control the Future?

Air Hogs had a new drone on hand at Toy Fair 2018 called the Supernova. It doesn't have any cameras and it doesn't connect to a remote controller or your phone. Instead the Supernova is controlled solely by your hands. It is a small quadcopter drone encased in a protective sphere with four infrared sensors around the cage and a laser sensor on the bottom.

To fly it, you give it a light toss out away from you and then you can control it by moving your hands in front of the sensors. You can steer it around, spin in place and climb all under gesture control. When you are done flying and want to turn it off, you grab the sphere and turn it upside down. It's an interesting toy for kids 8 years old and up and seems nice to get them interested in drones in an easy to control and safe way. It is interesting to see gesture control in the DJI Spark and Mavic Air and now in the Supernova. It makes us question whether these are simply gimmicks or if we are seeing a new form of drone control emerging.

Credit: Engadget.

Air Hogs doesn't have a site for the Supernova yet, but the drone should be available this summer for $40.

Feb 22, 2018, 11:30 AM
I've always respected Air Hogs. They've seemingly stood the test of time, "hovering" safely between the toy and the hobby grade markets.
Feb 22, 2018, 01:01 PM
Culper Junior
So it only flies within the limits of your hand movements?
Feb 22, 2018, 01:20 PM
FPV = Cardio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
I've always respected Air Hogs. They've seemingly stood the test of time, "hovering" safely between the toy and the hobby grade markets.
Did you have an Air Hog Aero Ace too?
Latest blog entry: 6000mAh lipo for my Taranis QX7
Feb 22, 2018, 01:55 PM
Gots me a good used Hobie Hawk
The best thing that Air Hogs ever did was the Rolling Fury. I hacked one by making a whole new airframe that used the elevator function as a rudder. Much easier to steer than diff-thrust, instant response at any airspeed, hammerhead turns were the most fun. It died a violent death under the wheels of a semi. I got three Rolling Fury's for $60 at Big Lots, those were the days.

When I look at the el cheapo quadcopters I see the possibility of a cute little Lockheed Constellation.

I don't know exactly why, but the drone thing just doesn't appeal to me. I guess my age has something to do with it.

Yes, I am indeed an old phart. May I rest in peace.
Feb 22, 2018, 03:21 PM
RCG Admin
Aero Ace's were awesome!
Feb 22, 2018, 06:22 PM
FPV = Cardio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Aero Ace's were awesome!
Over on a car site's off-topic forum that I used to partake in, someone got one of those and posted it up and how cheap it was. Then everyone ended up getting one. Now, whenever there's a new trend, we just call it the new "Air Hog". fyi, the current Air Hog involves buying VW GTI's, but now it's starting to shift to Toyota 4Runners.
Latest blog entry: 6000mAh lipo for my Taranis QX7
Oct 14, 2018, 01:35 PM

Mr

Having problems with my brand new air hog supernova, it is fully charged but won't switch on, is there anything I can do or is it contact retailer or go direct? Please help someone got a ten year old who is very disappointed
Oct 14, 2018, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Mackinnon
Having problems with my brand new air hog supernova, it is fully charged but won't switch on, is there anything I can do or is it contact retailer or go direct? Please help someone got a ten year old who is very disappointed
Looks pretty straight forward as far as turning it on, is the side with the big led facing up with the switch in the on position? Here is the vid for it, no trouble shooting but it does show how to turn it on and operate it properly.

AIR HOGS | SUPERNOVA - HOW TO PLAY (2 min 40 sec)
Dec 13, 2018, 10:34 AM
I just received one as an early Christmas present from my sister.
I had no issues with turning it on; on the underside of the Supernova's body (inside the cage), look on the edge of the drone's fuselage exactly opposite of the MicroUSB charge receptacle and you should see (silkscreened in white) the letter, "O" and a lightning bolt; about . an inch away you should see an uppercase, "I". Directly in front of this you should see a brownish-orange rectangular projection. This is the power switch. Using your fingernail or a butterknife, gently slide it toward the, "I". The LED under the white dome should begin flashing a yellow-green color. Set the drone down on a flat surface, and within just a second or two tops that light should change to an emerald green and become steady.

Launch as per instructions, and you ought to be in business!

Quick Reply