Jan 24, 2020, 04:18 AM
On that transmitter...I now you recommended the FlySky @kodak_jack, but that is the one with the LCD right? I actually didn't get that and went for the DumboRC because I was a little worried that the lcd top would not do very well in our rainy Belgian climate... Ah yes, my son doesn't mind a little rain and prefers his buggy wet and dirty .... seeing how hard it is to do anything on my iphone7 when the screen gets a few drops, I figured the remote with LCD could be an issue. Any thoughts on that?

Is there an alternative for CorrosionX by the way...I can order it on Amazon for about 25 EURO (small can) and the shipping is...also about 25 EURO... I am not only interested in something that lubricates and protects the metal, but the demo's of Corrosion X with electronics in water are stunning...

There is not a single place where I can buy this in Belgium other than via Amazon ...
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2020, 06:52 AM
Thread OP
I did an Internet search and one hit was here on RC Groups. Supposedly, you can find places that carry Corrosion X in other countries:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...native-(Canada)

This is from Europe:

https://www.euroga.org/forums/mainte...on-x-or-acf-50

I can see where someone would not want an up-facing LCD screen in wet conditions. I would think, though, that most have some kind of screen if they are programmable. The DumboRC one is very cheap and, hopefully performs well. I saw a review that said the instructions were pretty poor - typical, right? The instructions for my FlySky aren't very good either and I found myself fumbling around a lot. When I read of some of the things guys have figured out on it, I ask myself where did that come from?!! The brand and functions don't matter as long as you can get it to do what you need it to do. I'm up to 7 vehicles now and plan on using my FlySky to operate all of them. Back in my helicopter days, I had a bunch of Walkera heli's and each one had its own transmitter = PITA! The Esky's also had their own transmitter.
Jan 24, 2020, 04:31 PM
I think the DumboRC instructions were pretty clear...well...the receivers channels are totally undocumented :-) but the explanation of the remote pretty much tells you what the channels are :-) I saw on the remote docs that the steering was channel 2 , so that way I knew where to put the esc and where to put the steering :-)

Just read the section I didn't read yet on "Programming/Settings" ... they are right... it may have well been written in Chinese... :-)
Jan 24, 2020, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
The ESC and servo are a start, BUT, you also need a receiver and transmitter to go with them.
The Arrma Typhon buggy is very nice. I would not bother with the brushed one. Then, you go to the 3S and 6S. I'm told the 3S has plenty of power, BUT, it comes with a LOT of plastic (steering, suspension, etc.) and there is no modding to 6S better components. They aren't compatible, the sneaky . So, unless you're filthy rich and can get the 6S, I guess you get the 3S and be ready to pay for the play. OBTW, since Arrma is being sold through Horizon Hobby, like most other vehicles they sell now, it does NOT come with a battery. So, on top of the price of the buggy, you have to have money for a battery - the hard case type = $$$$$. More info than you might want to know, but no extra charge.
10-4 on the receiver/ transmitter!
And I donít have that kind of ďplayĒ money for the arrma line up. The kraton? I think itís called looks insane!
I will keep my eyes on the lightly used stuff though. Deals are out there, just need to be at the right place, right time.
Iíve got a battery alarm, and read up on charging and safety, got some 7mm hex extenders and an aluminum steering slider on the way, also I hit a steel basketball hoop pole at full speed and bent the lower control arm, pivot bolt and a front axle! Oops. Car kept going and I didnít notice the damage untill days later. Fortunately, all was repaired with a hammer, but I got replacement parts anyhow.
Still lots of fun and itís the only thing my daughters dog is afraid of!!
Jan 24, 2020, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
Glad you're having fun. Keep us updated.
Jan 28, 2020, 02:25 PM
Update.
Either I can’t drive, or this buggy isn’t as tough as I thought!
Clipped the front tire on an inanimate object and broke the tie rod/steering knuckle and shattered the lowers control arm!
Sooooo, ordered the alloy arms and knuckles (hopefully they are compatible with stock parts?) And a 14 tooth pinion.
Hoping the pinion will keep the motor cool enough with the big tires and I’ll be more of a quick crawler. Less speed and less breakdowns!!
Will update in A MONTH when the parts show!
Jan 28, 2020, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
I think you inadvertently added the maniac mod that makes it uncontrollable. The second 12428 I got was owned by a guy who had the Traxxas 12T motor in it and claimed he lost steering and put it into a curb. I think I believe that more now than I did back then. It's possible for this thing to have weird glitches.
Feb 09, 2020, 09:25 AM
I think my waterproofing efforts have been put to the test and passed with flying colors

2 videos shared on my Google drive since they are a bit large to upload here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...MA?usp=sharing

The rear shocks of the buggy are shot though...so I have another repair in the making...not to mention the Himoto truck that is also shot since the servo gave out due to .... what else ... water
Feb 09, 2020, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Do you have a link for the shocks you bought? The very first upgrade shock I bought were the much touted blue aluminum with the internal spring. I ordered them for the front and back, for that bling factor, and they leaked like crazy!! I think there is more luck than anything else involved with getting something that works well. When you move up in scale and $$ to the 1/10 scale, the highly thought of shock is made by Pro-Line and they're about $70/ pair!!!!!!! Out of my comfort level.
Even though video #1 is only 17 seconds long, it wouldn't load and play on my desktop. I'll try later on my iPad.
Feb 09, 2020, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
I got the One Drive on my iPad to play your videos. Yes, I guess the waterproofing worked!
Feb 12, 2020, 11:09 AM
I didn't get the shocks yet..will be delivered from Banggood in March :-(

I read your comment on the leaky shocks...I'll try and fix that somehow, but no idea how yet...

I was considering actually ordering a pair of 08001 HSP shocks which came on his Himoto 1:10 truck... they are 98mm, so slightly longer than the wltoys stock shocks, but I think they should fit considering the spacers that are used on the 12428...(if needed cut some of the spring off)...

Maybe I'll give that a try anyway because they can be ordered from Monstercars.nl and are delivered way faster: https://www.monstercars.nl/product_i...f8a54990c158d8

I am pretty impressed with those shocks...just not sure they will fit

$70 would be out of my comfortzone too! Djeeses...especially for a now 6 year old maniac driver
Last edited by orbatec; Feb 12, 2020 at 11:26 AM.
Feb 12, 2020, 02:59 PM
Thread OP
I think that length should do OK for the rear. The same dimension will never work in the front, they are way shorter. I think the fronts are closer to 60 MM if not a little shorter. When you get them. take off the top cap and see if there is any oil in them. There probably won't be. I use 600 weight shock oil. I got it from Ali Express, but other places should have it.
Feb 12, 2020, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbatec
Interesting read! I see you have the same receiver I got. I really wanted to be able to use the transmutter to switch the lights on and off, but the best i got on channel 5 was dimming the lights slightly. Can you control the ligths from your transmutter, and if so, can you give me some pointers on how to connect them?
Sorry, I missed your post. I am running into the same issue. My bright lights are just too bright to have on unless I NEED that much light. I found this on aliexpress that I think claims to allow me to at least switch the lights on and off through the channel 3 switch.

I ordered it about a month ago, but between the holiday then the continuing corona event who knows how much longer till it arrives and I can test it.
Feb 12, 2020, 06:09 PM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Yup. That's the light controller you'll need.
Feb 13, 2020, 08:48 PM
Thread OP
Another waterproofing coating. I'll add it to page #1:

Q Dope coating GC Electronics 10-3702 $15.49USD https://www.alliedelec.com/product/g...3704/70159780/

Quick Reply