Jan 19, 2020, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch5richards
Have enjoyed this thread so far, figured I should add to it. I burnt up the stock motor very early on and due to that ....
Interesting read! I see you have the same receiver I got. I really wanted to be able to use the transmutter to switch the lights on and off, but the best i got on channel 5 was dimming the lights slightly. Can you control the ligths from your transmutter, and if so, can you give me some pointers on how to connect them?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2020, 03:27 PM
One question Google cant find me an answer on.... when i ordered the 12428 I immediately ordered a ZOP Power 2200 LiPo. With the new Hobbywing esc i set the jumper to LiPo. However, when i put in the original Lion battery, the car stops dead after about 30s .... is that because the lvc of LiPo is way higher that Lion or did the Lion battery likely get damaged when the original esc unit shorted out? Any thoughts on this? (I already ordered 4 more of those LiPos since they are great and were 50% off last week)
Last edited by orbatec; Jan 19, 2020 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Submitted too fast on tablet
Jan 19, 2020, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I just posted this recently:
https://www.wltoysrc.com/

The source has parts for just about any WLToys part you would need as well as upgrade parts.
I need to stress this here:
When it comes to seeing how the buggy is pu......
I wish i lived near you...I feel like a hobbit in the presence of Gandalf The White.... for total beginners the learning curve is steep! Fortunately, i like steep curves
Jan 19, 2020, 07:19 PM
Looking for some insight here.
This is my first rc car, well other than when I was a kid with a few radio shack cars that only turned in reverse!
I’ve been having a lot of fun with this one and buying little eBay “upgrade” parts here and there.
I bought some austar wheels and they are 4.5” tall. A solid inch taller than The stockers. They were too much and the motor ran very hot so I quickly changed back to stock.
I realize I’ll need to upgrade the electronics pretty soon. The stock speed and torque is very adequate for me. The upgrade motors I see seem to make this buggy insanely fast and likely to break a lot of parts too!
Is there a sweet spot? An electronics upgrade that I could safely use the big tires to crawl with and not overheat? Keeping the stock speed and torque.
Could I also safely use the stock tires for more road use.
I’m hoping for the best of both worlds I guess.
Any advice or suggestions are greatly welcomed.
Also could I accomplish this for 100$ ish with reliable parts?
Thanks
Last edited by Dconcb; Jan 19, 2020 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Grammar
Jan 19, 2020, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbatec
One question Google cant find me an answer on.... when i ordered the 12428 I immediately ordered a ZOP Power 2200 LiPo. With the new Hobbywing esc i set the jumper to LiPo. However, when i put in the original Lion battery, the car stops dead after about 30s .... is that because the lvc of LiPo is way higher that Lion or did the Lion battery likely get damaged when the original esc unit shorted out? Any thoughts on this? (I already ordered 4 more of those LiPos since they are great and were 50% off last week)
It could very well be that the lipo is damaged. The lvc is determined by the ESC, not the battery. If it sees low voltage, it shuts down.
Jan 19, 2020, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dconcb
This is my first rc car, well other than when I was a kid with a few radio shack cars that only turned in reverse!
I’ve been having a lot of fun with this one and buying little eBay “upgrade” parts here and there.
I bought some austar wheels and they are 4.5” tall. A solid inch taller than The stockers. They were too much and the motor ran very hot so I quickly changed back to stock.
I realize I’ll need to upgrade the electronics pretty soon. The stock speed and torque is very adequate for me. The upgrade motors I see seem to make this buggy insanely fast and likely to break a lot of parts too!
Is there a sweet spot? An electronics upgrade that I could safely use the big tires to crawl with and not overheat? Keeping the stock speed and torque.
Thanks
I recently saw this on our friends' thread for the Feiyue-03 thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-racer/page188
Post 2811
It even gives the poster's motor and ESC he is using. You can see that if the gearing isn't correct for the motor, it might go like a bat out of hell, but it will also burn it up.
Jan 21, 2020, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I recently saw this on our friends' thread for the Feiyue-03 thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-racer/page188
Post 2811
It even gives the poster's motor and ESC he is using. You can see that if the gearing isn't correct for the motor, it might go like a bat out of hell, but it will also burn it up.
Thanks @kodakjack.
Looks like I’ve got some learning to do as soon as time allows!
But... I’ve gotta ask, any chance of a recommendation or a link for a decent package for electronic components upgrade? Hate to be lazy here, just not much “toy time” to do proper research and get a better understanding right now.
Thanks again!!
Jan 21, 2020, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
I've see this combo used quite a bit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32810652643.html

Just as this one gets used a lot and, my preference, I'd rather deal with Banggood than AliExpress:

https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-3...r_warehouse=CN

Others have done brushless upgrades and may chime in. Mine are still the brushed motor with new brushed ESC, servo and FlySky receiver & GT3C transmitter. If you were to stick with the brushed motor, I'd recommend a HobbyWing 60 amp ESC.

https://www.banggood.com/QuicRun-106...r_warehouse=CN

NOTE: There are many copies of this ESC on Ebay and elsewhere and they are complete garbage. The ads will even tell you they are the genuine thing, but they aren't. The real thing will say Quicrun and have the HobbyWing logo on it. The real one should also come with real HobbyWing instructions.

If you want to go like a bat outta hell using a brushed motor, you can try the Titan 12T motor that comes on many Traxxas vehicles. If you want to go slow, like a crawler, you can find a 35T motor. Just know that if you buy a brushless motor with too many KV, the buggy likely can't handle it. Pay attention to which battery connector the new brushed or brushless ESC comes with in case you need to order a different connector that goes with the batteries you want to use. The stock batteries have a Dean's connector on them. They can be a big PITA at times as they may be hard to push to make the connection as well as next to impossible to pull back apart because they don't give you a good textured surface to grab onto! If you are installing an ESC that does not come with a Dean's connector, it will be time to decide whether you want to change it to Dean's or convert it and the batteries to something a little easier to use like the XT60. It has a means of gripping the two connectors for easier separation. A new ESC, of either variety, should also give you an on-off switch that you can get to in the case of an emergency, not one right on the ESC itself since that may be the thing that goes poof!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=xt60+conn...sl_w6wptdkd3_e
Jan 21, 2020, 03:55 PM
Wow!
That is a wealth of knowledge right there.
A huge thanks for taking the time to educate me.
I sincerely appreciate this!!
Best regards
Jan 21, 2020, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
I have 3 WLToys vehicles and have spent a LOT of time and money on each one. I think my advice is that you don't go overboard and then end up getting to the point where it sits on a shelf. Don't get caught up in the bling parts that are for looks only. Spend wisely, grasshopper.
Jan 22, 2020, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Thanks
For me it is also my first RC (that and a Himoto 1:10 monster truck I also bought for my son which he managed to trash now too...at least I get some strange behavior that points to the electronics (will test some this week-end) BUT...

The motor itself, a 540, is more than sufficient for this little beast to work some real magic. I have been more than impressed with the things my son does with this buggy. To be honest, with the LiPo of 2200maH 35C fully charged, it accelerates damn fast and simply flips over if you turn to quickly. So all those "upgrades" to a brushless motor that will run your car at 80km/h seems overkill: it will likely flip backwards when you hit full throttle.

So I would keep the motor brushed, especially if you want to get it out there even in the rain and in dirt ... sure it will eventually break, but they are cheaper than brushless...I think to really make it "crawl" you'll need to work on the gear ratio because from where I stand this buggy is somewhat of a hybrid: racer and crawler....

What I find disappointing is that ESC's are either for brushed or brushless....that sucks... I upgraded my esc but in doing so committed to staying brushed for now. Which is fine because it runs more than fast enough and crawls pretty damn good in my opinion...my son drove it out of a 2 foot deep hole he dug in the ground with a steep wall (surely more than 60 degrees). I was convinced the car could never make it out and it turned out to be a piece of cake. He takes it through mud, farming fields, over big stones....I really am amazed by this little thing with its no doubt cheap stock motor. The weekness for me are the electronics....so far....but depends on what you are after I guess, and how fast you want to go to the next level.

The Himoto by the way is way more expensive (close to 300 EURO) and also has a 540 brushed motor....and it is also heavier with VERY big tires. As long as I don't use the 5000mAh battery the motor is just fine...but I have an active cooling (twin fan) installed now just to be sure.

The gear ratio is probably what you need to look at: likely even if you go brushless you can configure it so that it doesn't turn into a speed monster...but like you said: the parts are made to a certain spec....if you increase any of them signficantly (speed, torque), I think you'll have a good chance of seeing stuff break here and there. So a powerful engine, geared for more torque and less speed, may not go down well with the stock servo or suspension or ...

My personal opinion is that the stock tires are pretty decent...but I probably know about as much or maybe less about rc than you
Jan 22, 2020, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Thanks
Best thing to do IMO is to install a smaller pinion gear to compensate for the taller tires. Stock is 17 tooth, 32 pitch. I like the pinion gears from robinson racing, they're cheap and I haven't had any problems with them. Maybe try a 15 tooth and see how that works. There are gear ratio calculators online if you want to plug in the numbers and get more exact.
Jan 22, 2020, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
Good advice from both guys.
Whenever possible, or maybe MAKE it possible, get an ESC with a cooling fan on it. Putting a heat sink with a fan on the motor doesn't hurt either.
The gearing chart from the FY guys does not take into account any change in tire diameter. If you go taller, a drop of an additional tooth or two might be in order.
Jan 23, 2020, 03:27 PM
Awesome info from all.
Big thanks for sharing. After rethinking everything. I’m going to wait until something fails, then get a cooled esc, servo and some gears to play around with for the big tires.
If I really get the itch to play, some of those aarma cars look like a better money pit!!
Still, this thing is a lot of fun.
Jan 23, 2020, 08:13 PM
Thread OP
The ESC and servo are a start, BUT, you also need a receiver and transmitter to go with them.
The Arrma Typhon buggy is very nice. I would not bother with the brushed one. Then, you go to the 3S and 6S. I'm told the 3S has plenty of power, BUT, it comes with a LOT of plastic (steering, suspension, etc.) and there is no modding to 6S better components. They aren't compatible, the sneaky . So, unless you're filthy rich and can get the 6S, I guess you get the 3S and be ready to pay for the play. OBTW, since Arrma is being sold through Horizon Hobby, like most other vehicles they sell now, it does NOT come with a battery. So, on top of the price of the buggy, you have to have money for a battery - the hard case type = $$$$$. More info than you might want to know, but no extra charge.

Quick Reply