Aug 23, 2019, 04:57 AM
Not sure what happened. I bought quite long time ago. If it only happened recently. Would it be caused by the trade war?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
Did the a900 series of vehicles get updated to metal gears? It seems as if the price has jumped for the standard a959 (without the B). In the case of the 12428, the price jump happened when they put metal gears in it. Aside from the 540 motor, just looking at pics it seems as if some plastic parts on the regular buggy get replaced with aluminum on the B.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 10:07 AM
Quote:
On the road, on a course, ....? I usually have mine on grass and donít think the little bugger would like that.
About the A979-B! I have tried it in my backyard on short grass too! Works much better than expected! At my previous trys on grass the grass was too long, I guess.

Stock motor stayed cool. Needs a wheelie bar. The back of the body shell gets hooked up on the ground while wheelie!
Aug 23, 2019, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearig
Not sure what happened. I bought quite long time ago. If it only happened recently. Would it be caused by the trade war?
I donít know how much is from the trade war, but weíre now being charged s&h where it used to be free. I also noticed a charge for insurance lately. A couple too many packages getting lost or damaged and they have to cover their rears?
Aug 23, 2019, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer
About the A979-B! I have tried it in my backyard on short grass too! Works much better than expected! At my previous trys on grass the grass was too long, I guess.

Stock motor stayed cool. Needs a wheelie bar. The back of the body shell gets hooked up on the ground while wheelie!
Those little buggers have always intrigued me, but I have longish grass and donít want to invest a lot of money only to find out it wonít take the punishment.
Aug 24, 2019, 07:28 PM
Thread OP

Up In Smoke!!

I got my receiver today and put the Eurobuggy together. My maiden got me a little over 2 minutes before the ESC went up in smoke. With the 12T motor, the stock ESC would stop for thermal overload in short order. I thought the separate ESC with fan would certainly take the load, but, I guess not. I don't need break neck speed and have the stock 17T motor. I'm open to suggestions on separate brushed ESC's. This silly thing says "320A". I know that sounds ridiculous, but which one do you believe?
https://www.banggood.com/ESC-Brushed...r_warehouse=CN
Aug 25, 2019, 12:10 AM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
No wonder. These ESCs are for max 30A continuous current only.
If this at all - I'd guess 20A for a safe value at most with these ESCs.
Most sellers won't tell you that - just boast the max peak amp the ESC will survive for barely a second.

Get an ESC from a reliable seller/manufacturer that will post a proper spec sheet. As the HobbyWing series or the Hobbyking rebrands.
Follow their motor turn count recommendations, too.

Good Luck!
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Aug 25, 2019 at 12:31 AM.
Aug 25, 2019, 06:16 AM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Those little buggers have always intrigued me, but I have longish grass and donít want to invest a lot of money only to find out it wonít take the punishment.
I went even smaller than 1/18 for my latest aquisition with a 1/24 Carisma MSA-1A Subaru Brat. Simply amazed at what this little crawler will handle. It will be getting a new esc and rx as the combo unit suffers from too much lag which make it hard to get rolling smoothly.
Carisma Scale Adventure MSA-1E Subaru Brat.Trooper's Hill evening run (4 min 44 sec)

Andy
Aug 25, 2019, 07:03 AM
Thread OP
I have looked up the ESC's specifically used on the Titan 12T motors and they aren't any more money than the junk I just got. The only thing missing that I like is the fan. Well, when the ESC went, the fan survived, so, that's now available for the next try. There are Hobby Wing ESC and the 40 A and 60A versions aren't far apart in price. Like I said, I'm not a speed demon anyway, so, the 12T that thrills so many may be coming out.
Just for giggles, I spent a little time looking at things other than what shows up under the My RC Groups button, the whole Off Road forum. I spied a new Arrma 1/8 scale buggy with 4-wheel drive, etc. for $200. It's marketed by Horizon Hobby, so, that means their proprietary connectors, what looks to be a 5-wire servo, and what seems to be a combination controller. Wait, those are all detriments rather than pluses! Those are things we poor folk running poor folk vehicles get rid of! It's too bad that Arrma lowered their standards, but I guess it's to get us poor folk to bite. It really does look to be a nice, easy to work on buggy. Everything comes apart easily and the part list must be readily available with quick delivery promised. It also comes with a NiMH battery. Again, when I got into RC Heli's in 2008, the big deal was getting rid of NiMH batteries because they are bigger and heavier than lipo's.
Speaking of NiMH batteries, I did not see anything saying I needed to choose which style battery I was using with that ESC that burned up. I also didn't see anything in the description before I bought it. It is a single motor version of what I have bought before, which is actually made to operate 2 motors. The only difference is that I am running a 12T motor instead of a 17T stock motor.
The season is starting to ramp down, so, I will not get something that needs to come over from China. I need to buy something I can get within a week.
P.S.
I guessed wrong on several parts of the Arrma. This is the link if you're interested. It comes in a brushless version for $100 more. The Arrma site shows it with videos.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...y#post42594957
Last edited by kodak_jack; Aug 25, 2019 at 07:54 AM.
Aug 25, 2019, 07:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
I went even smaller than 1/18 for my latest aquisition with a 1/24 Carisma MSA-1A Subaru Brat. Simply amazed at what this little crawler will handle. It will be getting a new esc and rx as the combo unit suffers from too much lag which make it hard to get rolling smoothly.
Andy
How hard is it to find electronics for something getting that small?
Aug 25, 2019, 08:05 AM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
How hard is it to find electronics for something getting that small?
I've ordered this real cheap esc https://www.banggood.com/DumboRC-10A...r_warehouse=CN which was only £3.38 when I ordered it this morning! I'll try and get rid of the surplus wires to save space and there's space over the top of the motor cross brace for either it or the RX. Not really found a super small one compared to some of the 6-10 amp plane brushless esc's but I suppose having reverse and drag break makes them more complicated
Aug 25, 2019, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
I just bought this on Ebay. It's in-country and I should have it rather quickly. It's a respected brand and it has a 3A BEC and rated for 60A. Let's hope for the best.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...IAAOSwPqRc90lD
Aug 25, 2019, 08:18 AM
Reap the wild wind
Looks very similar to the Hobbywing 1060 and this one I bought from BG along with the seoparate programming card https://www.banggood.com/60A-ESC-Car...r_warehouse=CN Works fine in my 1/10th rigs
Aug 25, 2019, 10:26 AM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Quote:
I just bought this on Ebay. It's in-country and I should have it rather quickly. It's a respected brand and it has a 3A BEC and rated for 60A. Let's hope for the best.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...IAAOSwPqRc90lD
Quite on the edge for a 12 Turn 550 motor regarding its specs (That's just me, overengineering most things...).

Should work as long as you stay with 2s, though.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany
Quite on the edge for a 12 Turn 550 motor regarding its specs (That's just me, overengineering most things...).

Should work as long as you stay with 2s, though.
When I bought the Eurobuggy, that was in it and it was good on the stock ESC for quite a while. Then, it started acting up and stopping for thermal overload. I'm not a speed demon and certainly won't push it with 3S.
Aug 27, 2019, 02:15 PM
Hi guys.

I'm struggling with monkeyhobby ... Was looking for 12423 parts and they were the only ones to have them.

Did some of you purchased things on their website? And eventually received them?

I should have made a quick investigation before spending my money. They seem to be scammers.

Quick Reply