May 18, 2018, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
It seems to like your mods just fine!
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2018, 07:37 AM

Rear & front shocks

Tested a couple of rear shock sets: http://yesuserserviceableparts.blogs...mods-tail.html

The ones I'm currently using and happy enough with:
https://www.banggood.com/HSP-110-Rc-...-p-925470.html $6.39 - hold oil well, progressive springs, easy install. So much better than originals that for now(tm) I can't desire for anything better.

Name: 20180519_145032.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 133.6 KB
Description:

Also tested dual spring remote reservoir ones but their stock combination of piping and couplings doesn't work.

Name: 20180517_184501.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 610.0 KB
Description:

Also changed front shocks to Hobby King's TrackStar 68 mm ones, they do fit but 61 mm ones would have been a better match with my current shock tower fitting under stock bonnet (or the original horizontal setup, not sure). The 68 mm ones have 17 mm throw between minimum and maximum, but only about 10 mm is utilized in this configuration (car front throw maybe bit less than 25 mm/1"), the 61 mm ones have some less mm (anybody?) but could probably use all of that. Very high quality shocks and every part available as spares. Some day I'll somehow redesign the tower to match longer shocks, but don't hold your breath as I'm pretty happy with the current ones. TrackStar 100 mm shocks would likely to be very good rear shocks for this car, but currently I have no need to invest more on them.

Name: 20180518_231405_1024.jpg
Views: 111
Size: 88.2 KB
Description: Name: 20180519_103611_1024.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 101.1 KB
Description:

68 mm: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/alu-shoc...13x60mm-2.html $12.71
61 mm: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/alu-big-...x48-5mm-2.html $12.43
May 21, 2018, 11:03 AM
Great mods, where did you find this shock tower?
May 21, 2018, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Great job as usual, TJ. I wonder how much bigger wheels and tires affect the shocks and tower dimensions. I am not running the stock ones and that probably accounts for the pins being on the hairy edge of popping out. Any new shocks tested are greatly appreciated and will be added to page 1. Anything bought in the US is a big help,too. The waiting from China gets old in a hurry. The shorter shocks might be nice to try.
May 22, 2018, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quim
Great mods, where did you find this shock tower?
Didn't, needed to design and print my own: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2864109 Also listed on the first page of this thread.

Quote:
Great job as usual, TJ. I wonder how much bigger wheels and tires affect the shocks and tower dimensions. I am not running the stock ones and that probably accounts for the pins being on the hairy edge of popping out.
Somehow I don't have that problem, something else than shocks in the front suspension geometry limits the movement enough so that the pins are not in danger of falling off. That's why I started suspecting there may be slightly different geometries, or maybe just Chinese tolerances:) I do have the big paddle tires ("tries") I have used with the same shock tower but original shocks no problem. Will need to get more general purpose big wheels, as the paddle ones aren't good for fast driving.

Quote:
Any new shocks tested are greatly appreciated and will be added to page 1. Anything bought in the US is a big help,too. The waiting from China gets old in a hurry. The shorter shocks might be nice to try.
I'm not in the US and our local shops have rather less to select from than the Chinese big ones, prices also tend to easily be close to that of the car for a pair of shocks, not my budget. And I like global sources; as an engineer I design for manufacturability, repeatability and reliable sourcing, and can't turn it off for personal projects:)
Just remember the old rule for Chinese orders - Order, forget, and be happily surprised when you finally receive the thing. Frankly, HobbyKing has been pretty quick, quicker than me getting a trip to a local store arranged, and Banggood also often delivers in a week-10 days, if you take the ~$2 express shipping. I have too many projects in progress to too eagerly need some specific upgrade parts (replacements for broken parts can be annoying however, like the new 21T servo arm, without which the car was useless).
May 22, 2018, 04:48 AM
*** Little OFF TOPIC Concerning deliveries from China (to Europe) ***

Since January I made many orders from HobbyKing, GearBest, Banggood, Asiatees and AliExpress.

In January, the deliveries took about 5 weeks (end of the year holidays backlog, I guess), but since then, I sometimes received the items within 10 days. So this is perfectly acceptable for me.

I have also ordered some items from the Europe warehouse of HobbyKing, and received them in a couple of days (Belgium is just next to the Netherlands).

I also had my shares of issues:
- GearBest: Leaking shock -> partial refund of a nice amount ; 2S battery with 1 dead cell -> new battery shipped (without having to return the defective one)
- AliExpress: melted adapters -> full refund ; lost package of a car body (in my country, during the return to post office, as I wasn't there) -> full refund, reordered (a couple of box more expensive), and received it

Note that I always choose the less expensive delivery option that has tracking available (except if it costs more then the item's value).

So I can't really complain about that.
May 22, 2018, 06:04 AM
Thread OP
"I'm not in the US and our local shops have rather less to select from than the Chinese big ones, prices also tend to easily be close to that of the car for a pair of shocks, not my budget. And I like global sources; as an engineer I design for manufacturability, repeatability and reliable sourcing, and can't turn it off for personal projects
Just remember the old rule for Chinese orders - Order, forget, and be happily surprised when you finally receive the thing. Frankly, HobbyKing has been pretty quick, quicker than me getting a trip to a local store arranged, and Banggood also often delivers in a week-10 days, if you take the ~$2 express shipping. I have too many projects in progress to too eagerly need some specific upgrade parts (replacements for broken parts can be annoying however, like the new 21T servo arm, without which the car was useless). "
The servo arm is a 25 tooth. In the 10428-B thread, a guy suggested a 24 tooth arm that would not work. I then waited another 3 weeks for a 25 tooth version.
I'll have to try the express shipping the next time I order. I like Banggood except when they turn a 5 piece order into 5 separate orders! I think the biggest problem is parts sitting in customs for weeks on end.
I welcome any and every mod for this buggy. What gets confusing is trying to keep track of mods on the original thread. I tried to keep the every day stuff and the mods separated for ease of use.
The majority of my career, I was a process improvement tech for the Big Yellow Box. Maintenance was important, but doing redesigns and mods were necessary for reliability. I got my BS in Reliability Engineering later in my career. I understand Infant Mortality, but in many cases, it's caused by a lousy design that needs to be improved if not redesigned. I am not a parts changer. I will not replace a lousy part with the same.
There is a guy on the original thread who cannot understand the failures most of us have had. For one thing, his was bought before Christmas = a different batch? Many of us have bought after then and have failures if we look at it wrong. He also runs his on nice flat surfaces, unlike what most off road buggies run on. He was the first to suggest the metal gears, but has yet to install his. It's like being in different worlds.
Last edited by kodak_jack; May 22, 2018 at 06:42 AM.
May 22, 2018, 06:17 AM
Thread OP
The problem I have with Chinese orders is that they track up to the item leaving China. After that, it seems to disapear. I'm thinking it's because it's sitting in a giant cargotainer in customs. After that, it gets passed to USPS and that has its own problems. The BIG problem with AliEpress is they feel it's the customer's responsibility to get on their supplier's butt to fill the order. They even put a time limit on the process and, if not filled in that time frame, the order is cancelled. I had to get on the metal gear wholesaler's backside to fill my order before it was cancelled. They finally did it with only 2 days to spare. I am the customer. That is not MY job! I have a better understanding of why most RC car and truck guys pay the big bucks for big name brands. It's not because they are break and trouble free. It's because parts are readily available and delivered in a reasonable amount of time and without hassles. I cringe when guys come up with a decent idea for a fix or mod and the link is for AliExpress.
May 22, 2018, 07:33 AM
Quote:
The BIG problem with AliEpress is they feel it's the customer's responsibility to get on their supplier's butt to fill the order. They even put a time limit on the process and, if not filled in that time frame, the order is cancelled. I had to get on the metal gear wholesaler's backside to fill my order before it was cancelled. They finally did it with only 2 days to spare. I am the customer. That is not MY job! I have a better understanding of why most RC car and truck guys pay the big bucks for big name brands. It's not because they are break and trouble free. It's because parts are readily available and delivered in a reasonable amount of time and without hassles. I cringe when guys come up with a decent idea for a fix or mod and the link is for AliExpress.
Well, as far as I know, AliExpress themselves do no sell anything, it's just an online platform (like Amazon Marketplace).
So when you buy something, its from a seller, not a supplier directly (in some cases it might be directly from the factory maybe).

And some sellers are not good or customer oriented, but others are.
However, I agree that (most of the time) English is not their strength , and in case of trouble, the communication is not always easy.

BTW, nice surprise when arriving home, got 4 packages, all the same day
Got my metal gears, so I mount them now.
Last edited by iLan84; May 22, 2018 at 10:57 AM.
May 22, 2018, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
As described as best as possible, you should know by now that the gear mesh is too tight. There are several methods that have been tried. Ivan has used a 7/16" bit to get the bearing to sit deeper and the same with a grinding wheel to get the pinion itself to sit deeper. The 7/16" bit I used was a spade bit that has a flat cutting surface rather than the typical V. I thought a 5/8" end mill might work to open the area for the pinion, but it wanted to grab too aggressively. I am away from home until the weekend, but I would like to try a 5/8" spade bit for the pinion seat. Give us your ideas as you get into it. Good luck.
May 22, 2018, 01:34 PM
Well, thanks jack!

I am currently working on my Zombie for the moment (and probably the whole evening).
Tomorrow or the day after, I will try to work on this one.

But I am simply going to give a try to the metal gears + stock plastic pinion combination, as suggested by ivan. We'll see what happens then
May 22, 2018, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Ivan is the first I've heard say he actually chewed up the ring and pinion gears in plastic. What I have heard, over and over again, is that the gears at the ends of the axles round out the flats that are molded into them that match the flats on the shafts. Those are worth replacing with metal. Beware that the flat head screws holding them to the shafts are held in with thread locker and you end up destroying the gear trying to get the screw out. Ivan snapped the head off of one and had to drill out the tiny screw!! Fun and games.
May 23, 2018, 12:06 AM
With my soldering iron at 400C and some patience to let the screw warm up I have been able to get it out undamaged.
May 23, 2018, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Ivan is the first I've heard say he actually chewed up the ring and pinion gears in plastic. What I have heard, over and over again, is that the gears at the ends of the axles round out the flats that are molded into them that match the flats on the shafts. Those are worth replacing with metal. Beware that the flat head screws holding them to the shafts are held in with thread locker and you end up destroying the gear trying to get the screw out. Ivan snapped the head off of one and had to drill out the tiny screw!! Fun and games.
Well, Ivan is not the only one, I also damaged my pinion + ring gears on the rear at least.
But I often run on high grass.
Also, I had troubles with my shaft, so it might have participated in damaging the gears.

But indeed, one of my umbrellas rear end is not flat any more.
About the screws, I believe I already removed the umbrellas screws without much of a problem.
But the one I already damaged is the pinion one, so I am really afraid not being able to remove it.
I'll try heating it, and I think I saw that a screw of the same size is used elsewhere on the vehicle (don't got this size in my stock).

Do these issues only happen mainly on the rear or also in the front?
I checked the front not long ago, everthing was still OK, so I will only install the metal gears on the rear for the moment.
May 23, 2018, 04:02 AM
I only redid my front diff. After extensively heating the pinion screw I was a bit afraid (from reading what you guys went through) that I would round off that head or snap it off completely, but to my surprise it came loose and unscrewed.

I reaseated the bearing and pinion slightly deeper, because the mesh was way too tight.

Quick Reply