This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 19, 2018, 03:40 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Discussion

It's been a while between posts - Things change

It has been a long time between blogs! As time rolls on I have discovered life gets in the way of a number of my leisure time activities. When we sold our property at the RV resort and our last RV I find more time to devote to activities unrelated to my RC hobbies. While still involved I am just not getting out to go sail as in the past. A lot has to do with not having lakes in my backyard anymore!

Now I am like most RC sailors that have to load up my vehicle with all my equipment and boats I am planning on sailing that day. In a word it has become work to go sailing. Never thought I’d ever say that! I like to take at least two boats with me so that limits which size boats I can get in our small SUV. That translate to being one 1 meter sized boat and another like my Micro Magic or DF 65. I have been able to get my V32 or my Nirvana in there but that’s about it. I recently sold my Motor Life Boat which was very a very difficult decision. I loved that boat. It had served me well as my go to rescue boat when one my wind powered crafts ran into trouble on a lake. I still have my Classic Chris Craft as an alternate. They came with only a forward ESC from Pro-Boat but I swapped out the ESC with a forward and reserve model. This makes the boat capable as a rescue boat. So all is not lost and it fits nicely on the floor of the car.

I have begun to sell some of my treasures realizing that I am not going to be using them as in years past. It is a challenge to let them go. I am still like a kid in that regard. I become attached to these small treasures. But as I say good bye to each one I am encouraged that they are going to good homes and will be again enjoyed as they were designed to be. I wonder if I am the only one that struggles with this kind of weird attachment to toys.

Good news is I still have a few boats in my shop to complete, so I have not lost my interest there. As time passes I am sure a few more of my treasures will be sold. Where I live this are number of nice places to sail, so all is not lost. I see that some of the threads I follow on the forum have slowed down to a trickle of activity. Perhaps we are going through another dry spell. I’ve seen this happen over the years. I guess there is only so much you can discuss on any given boat. It is good to see some of the favorites are still going strong. I hope to pick up my sailing activities to a similar level as in that past. Time will tell.

Posted some pictures of some of the boats I've recently released from my fleet. I had a few duplicates in there. Those are easier to sell.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2018, 09:13 PM
captbh
Hi Boomer,

It has been a long time but the subject is still the same. Sorry to hear you are cutting back on RC time but life happens. I have always been free time challenged and looking forward to retirement in 3 years.
We have always discussed the Tamiya RTW but I never pulled the plug for the same reasons you are cutting back. I am looking forward to having 1 sailboat in my collection and have always leaned toward scale looks so the RTW and 40EX have tempted me.
I know your love for the RTW and one has shown up on RCG (as I’m sure you know) and here I go again. At $800 it’s not cheap but it does come with crew. I haven’t seen a 40EX in forever.
So would still jump on the RTW if you were in my shoes? How much will I need to figure on to add the servos and mods that make it the boat you love. What about the 40EX?
Thing is I don’t need it today, but they are getting harder to find and when this RTWjust popped up ���� well, you know ��
Bill
May 16, 2018, 03:07 PM

Pro Boat USCG Life Boat RTR to buy

looking for Pro boat USCG PRB3500 to buy. Please send email to [email protected]

Thanks
Aug 08, 2018, 03:08 PM

Wealth of knowledge

Hi Boomer, yes, you are a fountain of knowledge in the RC Sailboat world. That is why I come to you as a last hope for an answer to my situation. I have two Airtronics SD5G transmitters that I have been using with Airtronics RX500 and 92224 receivers. As these receivers are no longer available I have tried in vain to find out what other receivers are compatible with my SD5G. I have posted this question on this forum to no avail. I have been all over the internet trying to find this information and still have no clear answer. I also have asked what other sailors are using in their sailboats with no replies. Is there some big secret about this? Can I use a receiver from another maker? Do I need to replace my transmitters and receivers both? and if so, with what?
Aug 09, 2018, 11:08 AM
Boomer1
Thread OP
Thank you you for your kind words! To address your question I'll start with this:
Sanwa Electronic Instrument Co., Ltd widely known as Sanwa, is a brand of wireless equipment best known for its high end radio-controlled transmitters for scale modelling use. The company have been a subsidiary of the SMC Group since 1965 and began to diversify into the manufacturing of radio-controlled transmitters ... In North America, Sanwa transmitters are marketed as ...Products‎: ‎Radio-controlled transmitters including Airtronics products.
Ok so now you know who built the Airtronics products. That is where I suggest you start. I think you'll find that the some Sanwa products are compatible with the Airtronics transmitters.
There are many receivers out there for sale on the web. E-bay has lots of them. I still use my RDS 8000 - purchased a number of receivers over the years so I have the ones I need to operate my RC fleet. But I am sure I could locate more with out much effort.
So unless your transmitter is not performing to your liking I'd suggest just go shopping for a few compatible receivers. Google searches will provide more information than you'll need to locate the items you need.
Boomer
Aug 09, 2018, 04:46 PM

Secret info?

Thanks Boomer,
The problem is that no one seems to know which receivers are compatible with this transmitter. I do not wish to buy a receiver only to discover that I can not use it. One would have thought that this kind of information would be available on the net, but not so. I can't even get an answer as to what kind of radios other folks on this forum are using. If I must replace my radios I would like some input from other sailors as to what they have experienced. So far, no response. I have this question on several RC forums, however no one has responded. Sad.
Aug 09, 2018, 05:07 PM
Boomer1
Thread OP
There are a few hobby shops that list receivers for Airtronics. Let me look for a couple of those for you to call to ask your questions.
Be back soon.
Boomer

Quick Reply