Feb 18, 2018, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Power Vision Powerray

I did a forum search on these terms and got no hits. There are several youtube vids on this product and it is available on Amazon. I have no connection with the company and am wondering if anyone here has one of these ROVs and if so what has your experience been. A couple of the youtube vids mention a problem with sand, small rocks, or plants getting into the system and causing issues. Not sure how much of an issue this would be and maybe more to the point is it specific to this ROV or something all ROVs have. In any case I would like to hear from you guys about what you think of it.

PowerVision PowerRay 4k UnderWater Drone (A Fisherman's Review) (15 min 28 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2018, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
Well I am probably gonna order one of these but since it is Presidents Day I have some time to wait and still not delay it's arrival date. So the thought occurred to me that if there is an issue of debris getting into the intake area and/or props maybe I could add some type of screen, maybe in the form of a bubble or what ever to help solve the problem.

So any of you guys who build ROVs have suggestions about how serious debris gumming up the works is and if it is a real problem what have you done about it. Also if you have other suggestions other than this ROV at it's price point please chime in.
May 20, 2019, 11:14 AM
Hi,

I just got one and have been playing with it in the San Francisco Bay. In fact as I write I am in Clipper Cove. It works as advertised, although I think the SF Bay's poor visibility is going to limit my use.

You asked about debris. Out of 7 or 8 runs I got some kelp caught in one instance which necessitated ending the run and (gently) pulling it back to the boat by the cord. After clearing the debris it was fine again.

Overall, the user experience is as good or better than my DJI Inpsire 1. I haven''t called support, so I can't give any feedback on that. But the out of box experience has been pretty trouble free. The directions are vague, but I have seemed to be able to figure out everything I've wanted to do. I've had a few glitches, like having to log on to the unit multiple times to download the picture and videos. But that eventually worked itself out.

If you order one, I would order one of these from Home Depot to manage the cord.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-150-...0PDQ/205382988

The cord comes in a roll with no spool.

Also, I ordered the Powerray package that comes with the with goggles. They are merely a holder for your phone and don't have any electronic function of their own. The phone app does the video, so any phone goggle visor should work.

I was playing around with the depth finder/fish finder this morning and it seemed to work well. I haven't found a way to have video and the depth finder info on at once, but it may be possible using 2 iPads or an iPad and a phone. Later this week I'll try and get some vids posted in youtube. But remember, the bay's visibility is the limiting factor for me. The drones camera seems to be quite good.

One thing, since it uses a vertical prop to drive it down to depth it sucks up mud and clouds the water when you get to the bottom.
Last edited by F344; May 20, 2019 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply