Aug 13, 2018, 11:57 PM
Thread OP
I grew up in the Houston area and have lived there most of my life so the humidity is no surprise. I lived in south Louisiana for 8 years. It was worse there if you can believe that. My previous workshop in Houston could get cold enough to hang meat. The new house has two HVAC systems and they both have two stage compressors. The original owner and seller did everything first class and we're the beneficiaries. With the energy efficient windows and extra insulation the electric bills the seller provided were amazingly low. The homeowner's insurance makes up for it after the Harvey flooding though. Fortunately this property has never flooded in almost 30 years.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2018, 08:39 AM
Is the land high enough to not flood?
Edwin
Aug 14, 2018, 10:28 PM
Thread OP
Edwin,

I spent a lot of time researching the elevation and flood history of every house we considered. I'm not sure any house in the greater Houston area is 100% safe from flooding but this one is in a very good location. The slab is at 28 feet above sea level and there is sea level water, Cedar Bayou, within 2100 feet of the house. A relative has a house that backs up to Cedar Bayou and it flooded but the flooding stopped about 1000 feet from this house, confirmed by aerial photos of peoples' stuff sitting out by the street a few days after Harvey. The house is about 5 feet above that flood line. As enormous as the Harvey flooding was, another 5 feet would require a LOT more water. The house is 29 years old and didn't flood in Rita, Ike or Harvey and the flood level from Alicia in 1983 was nowhere near enough to have affected that property. It's in a little cul-de-sac that's higher than any land around in any direction and didn't even have street flooding in Harvey. A nearby neighbor told us that it was high and dry throughout Harvey. That's about as good as assurance can be in that part of the world.

For aeromodelling, it's close to the Prop Nuts field over in Crosby which is about 20 minutes away. The flyover area is hundreds of acres of grass farm. The Manned Spacecraft Center RC Club is about 30 minutes away and there's another field between the house and MSC in Deer Park. I was a member of all of those clubs before my last job took me to several other states for 20 years.
Aug 15, 2018, 05:28 AM
I know Katy might be a drive but they have a Cubs n Cousins event that's a good one to attend. Very laid back flying and friendly atmosphere. I try to make that one every year.
Edwin
Aug 15, 2018, 09:48 PM
Thread OP
I’ve been in the desert for 8 years, 600 miles from good RC clubs and saltwater fishing. Baytown to Katy is nuthin. It’s closer than BomberfieldUSA. I’ve missed good RC for so long that I’ll probably hit meets within 200 miles for a while. Seems like there was a good one in Lake Charles, too.

Rethinking the covering on the L-4. There’s a chance I may cover it with Koverall instead of Chinakote since the quality of planes in that area generally is very high.
Aug 16, 2018, 03:27 PM
Yes , A good one happens this week-end , Cub and Cousins at the same time . Stay tuned as we have a War Bird fly-in in Oct.

Hope to see you here , Jim Martin
Aug 18, 2018, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Jim! We're still in New Mexico. We had to find a house that met our needs before selling the one we're in so the current house isn't even up for sale yet. We won't close on the new one until the first week of September.
Last edited by David2011; Aug 18, 2018 at 11:11 PM.
Aug 18, 2018, 11:04 PM
Thread OP
I had an idea that I thought would make cool looking flying wires for the tail. On a full sized Cub they're round but I wanted to try something different anyway. For years I've pulled the stainless steel splines out of windshield wiper blades and used them mostly to make tools as needed. I thought they would make good tail wires if I silver soldered some tabs onto the ends. All I have to do is figure out where I hid the silver solder from myself. I want to get wires on the tail before moving the airplane, just to make the tail a little stronger. It suffered some damage to the vertical stab last move. That's been fixed and the plane is much farther along now so I want to protect it as much as possible.
Sep 01, 2018, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
It's time to start packing. We have a lot of stuff that commercial movers won't move so we bought a small trailer. I had never seen one just like it. Other than the floor, there is no wood in it so it should outlast me. The sides and top are relatively thick steel (compared to the thin sheetmetal on other trailers we looked at) that's galvanized and then coated with a 12 layer process according to the manufacturer. It's a 2011 model that was never used. The original owner bought it, took it home and put it in his garage. Apparently he passed away before using it and his parents just took it to a dealer a few days ago. It still has the rubber "hairs" on the tires.

The best part is that SWMBO sees its value as an airplane hauler after the move. Closing on the house is this coming Wednesday.
Sep 01, 2018, 04:14 PM
Good snag. There will be plenty of opportunity to use it.
Edwin
Oct 17, 2018, 02:41 AM
Thread OP
Apologies for a shameless, useless post. The thread dropped off of the first 2 pages and I didn't want to lose it. We're splitting our time between the old house and the new one. Moved a truck and trailer load last week. Thinking hard about how to move models without any more damage to fix. Still haven't found the good solder that will solder stainless steel. I want to build the tail fling wires before moving the L-4. If I can't find it I'll make temporary flying wires to stabilize the tail for the move. Models haven't been this far back on the back burner since Hurricane Katrina - and I'm moving back to a hurricane zone.

I drove by the Deer Park club last week and it has been replaced by a massive concrete building. The club has known that the property was for sale for years so it was always a threat. The club facilities were there just a few months ago. What a shock to see it gone. Their Facebook page doesn't show any information on it shutting down or moving yet.
Nov 09, 2018, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
Last night I went to the Johnson Space Center/ Manned Spacecraft Center RC Club meeting, met up with some old friends I hadn’t seen in 20 years and joined the club again. It’s a great group of about 70 members. They’re a mix of NASA people (the JSC part) and people from other walks of life (the MSC side of the membership). The club is over 50 years old and was founded by JSC employees. It was several years before NASA allowed members that weren’t NASA employees. The best part of the facility is that you don’t have to worry about people coming in and destroying it while it’s unoccupied. It’s on a huge patch of land that isn’t used for anything but antenna testing.
Feb 02, 2019, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
The L-4 and other large planes made the trip to the new house with no damage. I also transported many of the smaller planes and all of my kits and balsa. There are still a few planes to move but nothing over .60 size other than some gliders that have their own boxes.

I built a box that fits the bed of my pickup when we first started moving. It’s very light for its size, 4’x6’x42” high. It has an internal framework of 2x2s. I screwed 1x2s and 1x3s horizontally to the frame and padded the spots where planes would sit with pipe insulation. I bound them in place with stretchy plastic film. Nothing moved around in 700 miles. One more trip and all of the models should be moved. Looking forward to this move being done. There’s just too much that we either don’t want commercial movers to touch or stuff they consider hazardous and won’t move.
Feb 02, 2019, 06:29 PM
Looking forward to meeting up with you sometime thus year.
Edwin
Sep 17, 2019, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Just posting another gratuitous, useless post for my 2000th RCG post. We have finally moved and the old house should close in a few days. No workshop yet; just got the household stuff delivered a week ago.

If anyone is going to Bomber Field this weekend please shoot me a PM. I plan to be there Saturday and would like to meet up with you.

Quick Reply