Punkair Wilco 1.3 RC Hang Glider Review - RC Groups

Punkair Wilco 1.3 RC Hang Glider Review

Check out our review of the Punkair Wilco 1.3 RC Hang Glider and find out how it flys.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 51" (1295mm)
Flying Weight: 1.2s lbs (552g)
Motor: Hacker Master Force 2826 1200kv Brushless Outrunner
ESC: Hacker 22A
Prop Size: 8x6 Folding
Servos: (2) Hacker Master 9g
Battery: 3S 900-1500mAH
Available at: Air C 2 Fly
Price: $220 with power system and servos

I've been in the hobby long enough to have tried nearly every form of RC aircraft that exists. I like them all, which is weird I think, but the longer I've been flying, the more I tend to want to fly unique interesting models that stand out from the norm.

The Wilco 1.3 RC Hang Glider fits that description to a T. This thing is an EPP foam flying wing that looks like a hang glider. Sure it doesn't have weight shift steering control like a full sized hang glider, but how well does it fly? Read on to find out.

What's in the Box

• EPP Wing Halves
  • Vertical Fins
  • Plastic Rib and Support Pieces
  • EPP Tail (optional)
  • Carbon Fiber Spars and Tubes
  • Hardware Package
  • Two 9g servos
  • Hacker Motor
  • Hacker ESC
  • 8x6 Folding Prop
  • Manual for Assembly & Motor/ESC

Assembly

Even though this is a foam kit, the build only takes a couple of hours. The manual is a series of black and white photos along with matching text instructions. The photos can be sometimes hard to see, but with the text it is not too difficult to figure out what you need to do. I'm not going to bore you with a step by step assembly in this review, but I'll post my photo log so you can have better photos to work off of when building one. Once you get it together you'll want to program your radio for an elevon wing and set the neutral position to have some up elevator. Check the CG per the manual and you are ready to head to the field.

Optional Items

The kit has an optional tail section you can install. It doesn't hurt to install it as it is designed to be removable if needed. I also added wheels using some epoxy and long bolts so I could perform ROG take offs and landings.

Flying

Launch

If you added wheels like I did, you can simply place the wing on your runway, throttle up and off you go. You can also hand launch if you need to and the pilot figure provides an easy hand hold for doing that. Just make sure you have enough up elevator programmed for neutral or you might end up nose diving into the ground. Even though this plane looks like a hang glider, treat it like any other flying wing and you'll be good.

With Tail Vs Without Tail

Flying around feels the same as flying something like a Zagi or other traditional flying wings. It's very stable and hard to stall and is capable of sport aerobatics like loops, rolls and inverted flight. The power is adequate and provides a strong climb out, I'd say around 80-100 Watts per pound. It's not overpowered and not too fast really. The rigging and pilot create some drag that keep the full throttle speeds down to around 60MPH at my best guess. If you like flying wings, this will fly and feel just like that.

I flew both wings, one with the optional tail stabilizer and one without. Without the stabilizer, the wing feels slightly more agile, but also slightly less stable. It does have vertical fins, but not having the tail stabilizer makes it more slippery. With the tail attached, it feels more solid and locked in during turns and less likely to oversteer. Both are perfectly manageable, but my preference would be to use the tail. It's easy enough to add and remove it so try it both ways and see what you like.

Landing

The Wilco slows down very well being so light and as a delta wing, you nearly cannot stall it. That means you can come in nice and slow and land at a crawl. The marketing video shows the pilot hand catching his after a flight. If you don't have wheels, this is a good option as the pilots elbows will hit the ground first during a typical ground landing, just make sure you have the throttle off if you decide to catch it. Having the wheels is more fun for me as I can do touch and goes and land at speed if needed for a nice rollout.

Video

Photos

Conclusion

I think the Punkair Wilco Hang Glider is a great addition to the hobby world. With so many cubs and warbirds out there, it's nice to bring something different to the field. The way this is designed makes it easy to fly for anyone with aileron experience and it looks much better than just a plain old flying wing. It really does look like a hang glider flying and if that sounds cool to you, you are going to love this thing! If you ask me how you should build yours, I'd say add some wheels and use the tail stabilizer and you are ready for some fun.

You can find the Punkair Wilco 1.3 RC Hang Glider Here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Mar 04, 2018, 09:03 AM
EB-66C Team Member
It looks great! Thanks for your detailed assembly pics and review.
Mar 05, 2018, 12:59 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I am really into all the offerings from Punkair/AirC2Fly, and this pretty cool!

I am most excited for their Agilis and Avilla too!
Mar 05, 2018, 01:08 PM
RCG Admin
Hopefully we get a US dealer soon!
Mar 05, 2018, 01:19 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Amen!
... if they don't, I am going to buckle and order one from overseas!

I have no self-control and already know I will be getting an Agilis, Picus and an Avila this year!
Mar 05, 2018, 01:28 PM
RCG Admin
Yeah man, then we need to get together and fly!
Mar 06, 2018, 06:25 PM
It's GoTime all the Time
Upgrade #1 FPV
Latest blog entry: 360 Frames & 360 Hobbies
Mar 06, 2018, 06:59 PM
The Deuce Bigalow of RC
Looks interesting .. might give this a try.

@Jason .... since you are a mod/admin and this thread is an official RCG pub you have spelled a few words incorrectly or did not use proper capitalization.

ASSEMBLY Image #4 ... the brand foamtac should be FOAM-TAC.

ASSEMBLY Image #8 ... 'glueing' should be 'gluing'.

ASSEMBLY Image #39 ... First sentence ends with a period but second does not.

On images with instructions such as 'Glue on the mount and then sand' should end in a period as it is a sentence. If you are listing a bag of parts you can say 'Bag of parts' or 'Control Horn' and no period is expected.

Not busting on you, just this is an RCG pub so it should be correct.
Mar 06, 2018, 07:08 PM
The Deuce Bigalow of RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Hopefully we get a US dealer soon!
As soon as they do ... I will be buying one of these.
Mar 07, 2018, 07:59 AM
RCG Admin
Thanks Cluck, must have been in a hurry on the proof. I fixed the Foam-Tac and gluing. I took the periods out of the captions, I try not to use periods in photo captions.
Mar 07, 2018, 12:33 PM
Hi,

came across this company last year at a show:-

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tted-A-New-Kit

If you look at the thread shipping to USA is no problem, just let Joachim know what you are interested in (in English) and he will sort you out.

Nice fella by the way and his products look as good in real life as in the pictures.

Paul
Mar 07, 2018, 05:14 PM
The Deuce Bigalow of RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Thanks Cluck, must have been in a hurry on the proof. I fixed the Foam-Tac and gluing. I took the periods out of the captions, I try not to use periods in photo captions.
Glad to help. There are no real hard fast rules about images and descriptors but generally what you start with on one you would want to continue with the others. The one exception would be a brand name or official names such as United States.

I might just order one of these from Germany.
Mar 07, 2018, 05:16 PM
The Deuce Bigalow of RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Hi,

came across this company last year at a show:-

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tted-A-New-Kit

If you look at the thread shipping to USA is no problem, just let Joachim know what you are interested in (in English) and he will sort you out.

Nice fella by the way and his products look as good in real life as in the pictures.

Paul
Any idea how he packs? I order a lot from Europe but try to avoid German post and DHL. I got a lot of stuff from Lindinger and a few others and packages made it OK. Anything I get from Germany is usually scrunched. Maybe my bad luck?
Mar 08, 2018, 01:37 AM
No idea what he packs like and to be honest when I was looking at his stuff 'for real' I didn't really even notice how sturdy his boxes were, just that they had bright shiny labels......

Not noticed a problem with stuff that I receive but it has only gone 'around the corner' relatively speaking.

As I said, seems a nice 'on side' friendly guy and as his company is quite new he must be 'hungry', make the point about packaging when you order and if the stuff is damaged demand your money back. Any hassle and post it everywhere and anywhere, nice to have unusual models but not if they arrive damaged and worthless....

Paul
Mar 08, 2018, 09:23 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB

As I said, seems a nice 'on side' friendly guy and as his company is quite new he must be 'hungry', make the point about packaging when you order and if the stuff is damaged demand your money back. Any hassle and post it everywhere and anywhere, nice to have unusual models but not if they arrive damaged and worthless....

Paul
That seems like a bit of a hostile response. Have you any reason to feel you must make demands or make threats to receive quality service? Perhaps give the guy a chance to make it right? You kinda come off as a super aggressive customer...

For the sake of discourse, I'd argue that to most hobbyists, when something arrives damaged it still has value and is not worthless.
We tend to get out a hobby knife, some CA, popsicle sticks and at least attempt to fix.

Quick Reply