Mar 30, 2018, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric-2000
I thought there might be a firewall plate, but that is not the case with the Corsair. The firewall is 40mm thick with internal webbing. It prints with 2 outer walls and 6 top layers. There is thrust built in so the top layering is stepped a bit for the offset.
If you have a different motor back plate or your motor is a different depth, this firewall will need to be modified. Adding or reducing height can be done inside S3D but if the hole pattern changes you will need to do some moving of vertices.
After it was printed I annealed it on the printers heated bed with an aluminum pan over the part. Turned it up to 120 and let it cook for about 25 minutes.
What filament do you use to print the corsair?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2018, 07:19 AM
stevek1959

3D Builder

Quote:
There is a problem with F4U_fuselage_02, both the factory and the stl. When using S3D and you save the file it loses some of the face around the cowling tabs. I tried importing the STL and saving the Factory file with the same issue (see attachment). It does not show up until the file is reopened. Unfortunately I did not see it in the preview and I lost 8 hours of printing
I tried Simplify versions 3.1.1 up to 4.1.1 with the same issue. My fix was to bring it into 3DSMax weld the verts and re-export it, the problem went away. I did not try saving the G-Code without saving the Factory File, maybe it will maintain the faces before you exit.

FYI, this has been reported this to Stepan at 3DLabprint.
Hi Electric,
I wonder if running it through 3D builder that is installed in Windows 10 would fix it. This morning I woke up and saw the same issue with Fuselage_02. I am at work at the moment and can't try the 3D Builder fix.
Steve
Mar 30, 2018, 09:59 AM
MorganTech
I'm running windows 7, so the 3D builder is out. I used 3DSMax and it fixed the problem for me. I use mostly MAX and Rhino for my modeling.
Mar 30, 2018, 10:02 AM
MorganTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
What filament do you use to print the corsair?
I'm using PushPlastic Premium HighHeat PLA, Once I switched over to High Heat I was able to raise my printing temp to 235 and that has helped with layer bonding making for a really strong print.
Mar 30, 2018, 10:10 AM
My planes plow into the field
Does anyone know why 3DLabPrint does not recommend ABS filament to build the Corsair?
Mar 30, 2018, 12:10 PM
Quote:
I'm using PushPlastic Premium HighHeat PLA, Once I switched over to High Heat I was able to raise my printing temp to 235 and that has helped with layer bonding making for a really strong print.
Thanks, that's what I used do far. Trying a PETG plane right now. Not sure if it is rigid enough just yet.
Mar 30, 2018, 04:27 PM
subscribed. F2G variant anyone?
Mar 30, 2018, 06:16 PM
MorganTech
I've been doing some research on the mods, it looks to be a few minor changes. The two that stand out as being the most complicated would be the longer cowling and obviously the P-51 style canopy. The taller vert stab would be the easiest!
Mar 31, 2018, 08:03 AM
stevek1959

Fixed Fuelage_02 file.

Quote:
I'm running windows 7, so the 3D builder is out. I used 3DSMax and it fixed the problem for me. I use mostly MAX and Rhino for my modeling.
---
Last edited by stevek1959; Apr 06, 2018 at 06:20 AM.
Mar 31, 2018, 08:51 AM
Can you share the fixed stl with us please? I am planning to print it in PETG too btw. Just finishing my PETG FPV easymax at the moment.
Mar 31, 2018, 08:59 AM
Quote:
I've been doing some research on the mods, it looks to be a few minor changes. The two that stand out as being the most complicated would be the longer cowling and obviously the P-51 style canopy. The taller vert stab would be the easiest!
e-2k: go Baby GO! The plane's flight characteristics, CG etc will be altered by the extended nose and taller tail. Why not just modify the canopy and razorback within the existing design Not perfectly scale but darn close.
Mar 31, 2018, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek1959
OK, I ran 3D Builder on the problem section
Can you tell us exactly what you did in 3D Builder? thanks
Mar 31, 2018, 01:33 PM
stevek1959

3D builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
Can you tell us exactly what you did in 3D Builder? thanks

If you have windows 10 search for 3D Builder it is resident in Win10. Open 3D builder then load object which in this case is the Fuselage_02 file. After it is loaded hit the import model button on the top left. Look on the bottom right of your screen it will say there are issues with this file, follow the prompt to click to repair. Wait for it to repair, should take 5 or ten minutes depending on the speed of your computer.
Mar 31, 2018, 01:35 PM
stevek1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse
Can you share the fixed stl with us please? I am planning to print it in PETG too btw. Just finishing my PETG FPV easymax at the moment.

I don't think I can share the repaired file, this may violate the agreement we have with 3D Labprint, or am I wrong?
Mar 31, 2018, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek1959
If you have windows 10 search......
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Quick Reply