Feb 15, 2018, 07:41 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Discussion

CG45 RBm (Graupner Pilot Boat)

So Back when the Proboat Alpha Patrol Pibber came out, Graupner USA also
had the Twin Jet Pilot boat on sale, with free shipping. I accidentally bought one.

I started a build thread in the Jet Boat forum, however most people are interested in
jet pump designs, and I didn't see a lot the scale modelers there. So this should bring everyone up to speed.

I finally broke down and masked and painted the bow non-skid this week.
Here is a quick review of what I have managed to get assembled, and some of the
modifications that I have made to convert the model to a CG45 RB.
The front of the pilot house could have been modded a bit more, but I didn't see the cuts in the
CG45 RBm till after I had assembled the pilot house parts.

And I would have done the stern deck, but I need to place the railings so that the non-skid can be masked around the base.
(Or I just need more procrastination time)

US CG45 RBM cg-45 uscg Coast Guard
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Apr 20, 2019 at 04:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2018, 07:51 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Welll, just when I think my skills are improving I see what Umi & others are doing.
Feb 15, 2018, 08:01 PM
Yes she just blows the lid off the skills doesn’t she!?.. Well done.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Feb 15, 2018, 08:44 PM
Grumpa Tom
Scale boats belong in the Scale Boats forum, regardless of the drive train system.
Feb 15, 2018, 09:09 PM
boat butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum444
Welll, just when I think my skills are improving I see what Umi & others are doing.
+1 .

Mark
Feb 16, 2018, 12:13 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Looks good. I have some photos from on board the local boat if that would be of help.
Feb 16, 2018, 12:25 PM
Umi, great sequence of a unique boat. Did you use the Tamiya tapes for the masking? How did you treat the intersections of the tape to eliminate creep of paint. Did you cast the window frames or did they come in the kit? Looking like another great build for your fleet. jerryj98501
Feb 16, 2018, 05:36 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Hi Jerry,

I had some Tamiya tape on standby, but when it came down to laying out the non-skid pattern, I decided
to use some airbrushing frisket film. It is a roll of light tack self adhesive semi transparent film.
The brand the local art stor sells is by "Artool"

I cut a length off the roll and sized it to the model, then peeled and stuck the film down.
Then I measured and drew the pattern out on the deck, correcting some of the pattern dimensions to fit.
I then cut out out all the areas that I wanted to be non-skid, and peeled that piece away.

So all of the intersections are part of one continuous sheet. The only areas that suffered bleed, were where the masking
was bubbling or bulging from being pressed around curves. even then, I managed to press those areas down and spray.
Oh, I also sprayed two pre coats of the base aluminum color before I sprayed the black Rustoleum Fine Textured paint.
That was to allow the base color to seal masking edges if any weren't down.
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Feb 19, 2019 at 12:46 PM.
Feb 16, 2018, 05:58 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Wow I can't wait to see the up coming rest of this thread..What a great looking boat..and it's a scale boat that doesn't look out of place (stupid) going fast! Umi so far Amazing..in your two posts alone I got three great ideas..
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Feb 16, 2018, 09:35 PM
KC8WPF
A few pictures of the 45' RBM from Station Tybee Island. I took these in 2016 while attending the Coast Guard Tug Association reunion in Savannah, GA.
Feb 17, 2018, 12:33 AM
r/c ships and workboats
Here are a few more from the local boat station from 2 years ago
Feb 17, 2018, 02:24 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Great reference photos Bob, Keith... I see a hand rail I that I missed.

Feb 17, 2018, 02:54 AM
Keep a Steady Strain....
The boat is looking great Aimee!
Mar 07, 2018, 12:23 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Took a moment to add the non skid to the deck hatch.
The hatch is smaller than on the CG45, so there will be some ad-libbing to the surrounding non-skid pattern.

Mar 07, 2018, 12:13 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Nice. I use the same textured paint for doing non skid on my decks.

Quick Reply