Feb 18, 2018, 08:07 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
So far I’m thinking stock with some minor mods as in going electric and that’s going to be a change. Chines as well to keep water off the motor
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2018, 08:14 PM
All Things RC
Just watched a few videos on this plane. I really like it! The only think I don't like is how big the pontoons are. However, seems to land nicely and fly well. I would probably also go electric for my location. Multiple reasons. One of which is there is not a close local hospital. Not that you can't hurt yourself with electric, but glow offers more situations in which the hands are close to the spinning prop. Do you know if this plane has a water rudder? It seems to steer well enough. My A5 is absolutely horrid on the water. Basically point it in the direction you want to go and floor it to get it on plane and to get air over the rudder. I bought it as a toy for the lake so this is fine, but it is not at home on taxi!
Feb 18, 2018, 10:26 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
I donít think it has water rudder: my current water plane has no rudder and it can be a handful In strong breezes.
Last edited by walter3rd; Feb 19, 2018 at 08:44 AM.
Feb 20, 2018, 01:44 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
I’m using pin hinges on this build. I’m sure ca hinges would be just fine but I have them so I figured why not. Toothpicks used to stake for extra insurance. Plate glass holding the elevator flat while the joiner dries in epoxy. this is going to be a slow build so bear with me...
Last edited by walter3rd; Feb 20, 2018 at 01:50 PM.
Feb 21, 2018, 04:09 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardonly
Just watched a few videos on this plane. I really like it! The only think I don't like is how big the pontoons are. ......
I've been seriously looking at this plane for a bit now and I'm with you on this. So I've been pondering modifying them and retracting them out to the wing tips ala Catalina PBY style.

Mike
Feb 21, 2018, 03:14 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
or the super dragon style that is smaller design and a different shape cjeck it out. looks like a nice design. sig, alien website.
Mar 12, 2018, 05:06 PM
Crunching planes since 7/2014
Hows the build going?
Mar 12, 2018, 06:33 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
super slow. i just glued in the doublers for the fuse sides yesterday. lots going on and this weekend my sister was in town and did more partying than building. oh well. ill get back on it soon.
Mar 14, 2018, 04:31 PM
I plan on following too. I want my next true balsa build to be a float plane, not that a nice sea plane is out the question though. I do have a question. The spinner on your E-flight motor. Where did you find that? I need one for a two blade propeller, but that style.
Mar 15, 2018, 07:06 AM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Tru turn
Mar 15, 2018, 04:22 PM
Thank you! I could've plowed through threads for five more months and never found what I wanted. Good luck with the build. Glad I'm signed up to follow along...
Mar 24, 2018, 01:02 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
Slowly getting there: Forward progress is progress
Last edited by walter3rd; Mar 25, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
Mar 26, 2018, 03:19 PM
Walter,
Nice looking job how is the laser cutting in that kit?
Brian
Mar 26, 2018, 05:45 PM
I just want to go fly!
Thread OP
So far the laser cut pieces are pretty spot on. The notch and tab makes it really easy to get it perfect. Thanks
Mar 26, 2018, 09:16 PM
This is a super cool plane!

Quick Reply