Feb 28, 2018, 09:16 AM
aka Motionsic @ YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri
.............. I guess they are following the Tesla and other models that say to come out with the top tech first and let those sales finance the eventual consumer models.
Agree with everything you said except this part, Tesla barely covers operations with sales. It’s the hype and CAPITAL RAISE that finance their built out. Tesla has always been one failed capital raise away from collapse, but always has the future product wow factor to draw investors in (fan boys that believe Musk word for word without checking the facts....)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2018, 06:45 PM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy
Agree with everything you said except this part, Tesla barely covers operations with sales. Itís the hype and CAPITAL RAISE that finance their built out. Tesla has always been one failed capital raise away from collapse, but always has the future product wow factor to draw investors in (fan boys that believe Musk word for word without checking the facts....)
Facts are fungible and always moving along. I bought a bunch of Tesla at 22 but sold it at 50+.
I believe in the guy (his rockets work, and that's the hardest thing on earth to do)......but I agree it's risky.

But his idea still stands. He wanted and hoped to use the roadster and the S to finance the smaller vehicles...and to an extent he has.
When I first heard him give that theory (before the first Tesla was out), I didn't really buy it...but I think that is how VCR's and a lot of other consumer goods worked. Flat Screen TV's have REALLY followed that curve. The TV and Sports Nuts bought the first generations for many thousands of dollars.

Anyway, hopefully the brain trust of those investors have some plan. The engineers did a great job but they are typically not the ones who can make all the proper projections and marketing moves. In any case, they are likely to be 100's of millions of dollars into the project before a penny of profit is made, so it's not for a weak of heart (or wallet).
Mar 03, 2018, 03:28 PM
Quote:
The cost it due to a number of factors, the processing power and cameras are probably a big part. The consumer drone companies are not likely to copy it even if they could due to the price.
I think we'll see this capability in DJI quads very soon, the Mavic Air is already using realtime 3D terrain mapping but with fewer cameras and presumably a somewhat less capable processor, however the 3 year old Nvidia TX1 used in the Skydio is not that expensive.. around $200 for a developer kit so presumably a fraction of that in volume and I don't imagine the B&W cameras they use would be expensive..

I think it really comes down to software expertise and whether DJI has comparable R&D talent.
Mar 03, 2018, 05:42 PM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan
I think we'll see this capability in DJI quads very soon, the Mavic Air is already using realtime 3D terrain mapping but with fewer cameras and presumably a somewhat less capable processor, however the 3 year old Nvidia TX1 used in the Skydio is not that expensive.. around $200 for a developer kit so presumably a fraction of that in volume and I don't imagine the B&W cameras they use would be expensive..

I think it really comes down to software expertise and whether DJI has comparable R&D talent.
Skydio may have some engineers even better than the run-of-the-mill DJI guys....but I think it really takes a team and organization to get the best out of the brains. Much of the DJI stuff is headed by a single engineer (beside Wang)...I don't know how the heck he does it, but he seems to head most of the projects.

Like the Patriots and the Eagles I think this stuff is really a team effort. You can have the best QB in the business and he's not going to win the superbowl without a LOT of good players.

I think Apple set a lot of the model here - Jobs had the vision and although he was not an engineer he had the ability to know what was bad and what was great (In my "critic" role I have some of that talent....I can't make something great, but I can tell you if music, or tech or many other things are top-notch). So then the leader (Jobs, Wang) had to have a small cadre of folks who have similar vision and know what can be done - and what cannot. They are the equiv. of the Coaching Staff.

This is why I hope Skydio has a complete forward-looking plan in place....to make the most of what they have started. Otherwise, it's a nice little leap forward and a great demo - but it could be so much more.
Mar 05, 2018, 01:11 PM
Valiant Poultry
The video is impressive. It's larger than what I thought based on the initial images...I was thinking it was much smaller.

If I had a ton of expendable money, I'd be a buyer for sure. I like riding bicycles and there are many places that I can physically fly my other drones, but I certainly wouldn't trust them in any of the "follow me" modes that they have. This, on the other hand, looks like it would be up to the task!!
Apr 10, 2018, 02:41 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
So here is the first test flight...he apparently isn't really good at knowing what other aircraft he has is capable of, but ehhh it is Casey no less.

https://youtu.be/mlJGtSg5oRw
Looks good. It does have a lot of potential as Casey was saying.
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Apr 11, 2018, 07:21 PM
Suspended Account
Impressive

CAN WE CRASH IT? - Skydio R1 Maiden flight! (5 min 53 sec)
Apr 16, 2018, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
That's puttting it mildy ... that's pretty unbelievable!

It wasn't fooled when one of the guys tried to hide behind one of those banners (tracking on most quads would have lost their subject there I bet). It was comfortably zipping thru and around those trees. Even some branches didn't stop it.
Last edited by Pixelpeter; Apr 16, 2018 at 05:11 AM. Reason: adding
Apr 16, 2018, 02:16 PM
Free as a bird now.
Very, very impressive, but they seriously need to address the noise issue. They could have named this drone the Screaming Banshee. This product is a selfie drone, which means it is going to be flown in close proximity to people. I think that a good selfie drone needs to be whisper quiet, or else its going to attract a lot of unwanted attention.
Apr 16, 2018, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Truly amazing, especially since it is all done visually. Nothing else I have seen even comes close to this ability.
Apr 16, 2018, 05:25 PM
Suspended Account
Fly on wall at DJI:

Yuneec, Autel, Parrot, 3DR.............................

Skydio

Wonder if they will compete or try and buy
Apr 16, 2018, 07:36 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Wow, very impressive.

I can envision the law enforcement applications for this.
Tracking a subject who is trying to escape on foot through the woods and over the hills.
You don't need video downlink capabilities, just follow that noise.
Apr 16, 2018, 11:54 PM
It looks like a step forward but just running in the woods it did run into some branches. For the idea that action sports companies will use this version, maybe. If it can’t avoid branches at jogging pace, what will it do through the woods at skiing or dirt biking pace? Don’t get me wrong, it’s the best OA I’ve seen, but it didn’t seem flawless. It’s a next generation step forward for sure but it’s not quite the final stage some are making it sound. It will be interesting to see where this goes in the future.
Apr 17, 2018, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2
It looks like a step forward but just running in the woods it did run into some branches. For the idea that action sports companies will use this version, maybe. If it canít avoid branches at jogging pace, what will it do through the woods at skiing or dirt biking pace? Donít get me wrong, itís the best OA Iíve seen, but it didnít seem flawless. Itís a next generation step forward for sure but itís not quite the final stage some are making it sound. It will be interesting to see where this goes in the future.
Snowboard through the woods:
Snowboarding with Skydio R1 (1 min 48 sec)

Mountain biking:
Skydio R1 Mountain Biking #3 (4 min 9 sec)
Apr 17, 2018, 11:18 AM
So are you saying the test flite one was a defective unit that ran into branches? That showed a person on foot running it into small branches. Itís incredibly impressive but itís not good enough to avoid small branches. Again, the best Iíve seen so far, but not good enough to follow me through the trails here or even follow on a hike/jog in the woods. I donít think action companies will buy this, at least if they operate in the woods.

Quick Reply