Feb 15, 2018, 07:32 PM
Winging It
I know this has GPS, though I don't know how it uses the information. Geo tagging videos and photos? No return to home, right? Does it save flight information?

Does it have sensors aside from the 13 cameras? Barometer? IR?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2018, 04:24 AM
Very impressive OA, especially from a small startup, and even more impressive that it's actually not vapor. But the market? Who in their right mind is going to want a "selfie drone" with a 2-axis gimbal, and a below average sensor at $2500?

They're seriously looking for unicorn customers with this thing. If they've got great OA software, but their margins are (apparently) so low, then they should have capitalized on the IP instead of trying to sell a product. $2500 and "selfie drone" is an oxymoron
Feb 21, 2018, 08:59 AM
Older I get, the better I was.
Kind of a chase plane in a way.
Feb 21, 2018, 09:15 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Just seen they sent one to Casey Neistat, he is waiting for decent weather to give it a real world test, and we all know if someone can break or crash something he's the guy.
Feb 21, 2018, 09:23 AM
Older I get, the better I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Just seen they sent one to Casey Neistat, he is waiting for decent weather to give it a real world test, and we all know if someone can break or crash something he's the guy.
I totally agree.
Feb 21, 2018, 11:17 AM
I think this product is just a teaser, but I also think they will sell quite a few since they can literally replace a camera crew for some types of prosumer filming of outdoor sports.

What's more interesting (and maybe a little disturbing) is that the end game for this tech must surely be security/military/paramilitary.
Feb 21, 2018, 10:34 PM
aka Motionsic @ YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Courtice
You need a selfie drone that is programmed to follow your hobby drones around.
I am down for that. Tried it with Mavic Pro but result has been disappointing:
Test RC Plane Chase with Mavic Pro Active Track- Raw (0 min 40 sec)

Does the R1 require the target to wear a tag?
Feb 22, 2018, 10:51 AM
It takes a specially designed quad to shoot "above the horizon". A gimbal way out front, mounted so it can swing up as well as down.

Most quads are built to film things on the ground like people, cars, bikes, landscape; things that are lower in elevation than the quad. The Mavic looks like a standard design in that regard, and it tracked fine while that plane was lower, but when it had to shoot up, it glitched and couldn't follow.
Feb 27, 2018, 02:46 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!

Casey "Flew" it.

So here is the first test flight...he apparently isn't really good at knowing what other aircraft he has is capable of, but ehhh it is Casey no less.

SELF FLYING ROBOT DRONE OF THE FUTURE; The Skydio R1 (9 min 47 sec)
Feb 27, 2018, 04:19 PM
At work so I can't listen, but I did watch that vid. What a peculiar individual; I believe I would like to be his friend.

Anyways, I've only seen a handful of videos of this quad but the obstacle avoidance is unreal. When it did that little feint through the trees at 5:15, found it couldn't fit, then backed up and went around the other way? Are you kidding me?!? The future is here, and it's equal parts amazing and scary.
Feb 28, 2018, 12:52 AM
It's impressive .....
Feb 28, 2018, 02:20 AM
That's indeed some very impressive OA
Feb 28, 2018, 06:52 AM
Fear only fear in life
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy
I am down for that. Tried it with Mavic Pro but result has been disappointing:
https://youtu.be/uLbQaxHoRmA

Does the R1 require the target to wear a tag?
it seems fine until the last bit where the background changed to the dark shrubs, I can well imagine it would not have tracked it there.

the other part is where the gimball seemed to be jumping a bit, the plane was very small to be able to follow.

I think not a bad job done by the active track
Feb 28, 2018, 07:47 AM
Happy to see Casey's review of the Skydio. He is a big DJI fan and has used their products extensively. Hearing his gushing praise of the Skydio, says a lot. This drone is really a big leap in tracking and following ability. It is pricey and kind of a one trick pony, but if you need that trick, it is the only one that can do it a any price.
Feb 28, 2018, 08:44 AM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan
I think this product is just a teaser, but I also think they will sell quite a few since they can literally replace a camera crew for some types of prosumer filming of outdoor sports.

What's more interesting (and maybe a little disturbing) is that the end game for this tech must surely be security/military/paramilitary.
In the beginning I see a lot of the adventure companies (mountain biking, kayaking, skiing, etc.) buying this. The question becomes how many of these companies there are and how much it costs to market to them.

There is nothing secretive about this drone. The cost it due to a number of factors, the processing power and cameras are probably a big part. The consumer drone companies are not likely to copy it even if they could due to the price. That's why it's great that Skydio reportedly has some big pockets behind them. They will need them to eventually get the price down.

I wonder - at what price will the masses (here) buy one? My guess is at 1/2 the current price they'd fly off the shelves. I guess they are following the Tesla and other models that say to come out with the top tech first and let those sales finance the eventual consumer models.

Quick Reply