Nov 27, 2004, 12:59 PM
never fast enough !!!
Thread OP

New Rookie almost ready to go up

This is my second rookie ... The first one unfortunately crashed on its maiden flight (combination of canard, with inappropriate CG caused the plane to stall really weird during final approach .. the back dropped and the plane came down vertically tail first ... i will put more detail on this on my web site soon)

The plane weighs in at 19lbs which hopefully means it will go ballistic ..

- P120 (no de-rating this one !! ) 27lbs thrust .. Pito speed sensor will still be set up in the future to see how fast this thing goes ..

- vectoring pipe set up for 40 degree up deflection (hope i donít rip the wings off _

- hitec digitals on wings ,and futaba 9204 on tail (thats what i had laying around)

- 2700 mah NiMh Battery for radio, and stock 1250mah NiCd for ECU

- Garry Mueller 76 oz main tank / UAT

- gy240 Futaba gyro on nose

for $600 i donít think you can get a better plane that the Rookie, .. It will hold its own and even out fly a BVM Bobcat, and on top of that, it has thrust vectoring .... I hope to fly it today, or early this week ...

Wojtek
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2004, 01:19 PM
Displaced Texan
Sweet, Woj! Heard what happened to your AMT 400.....that sucks!
At least you'll have something else to play with until you get the 400 fixed.

Phantom comming along nicely. Covered in sawdust today. Will try to catch you at Bill's next weekend.

Brg,
Jeff
Nov 28, 2004, 08:19 AM
never fast enough !!!
Thread OP
Jeff,

let me know when you will be coming on by .. I'm planning to fly all day Saturday. If I get the gear blocks in for the robart 630s I'll also have the Gripen up in the air (if you havenít heard, I flamed out, and had a hard landing ... oops my ECU battery ran out ) ...

I had sent the AMT in yesterday, so it should arrive in WV on Monday ... I hope the warranty service turn around is quick, I was just starting to get into that KingCat.. The plane glides so well that the engine seizing with over 1/2 the fuel left in the tanks was a no issue to bring in over the runway .. Figures, ..I decide to get an AMT (most reliable engine by reputation) and I'M the one who gets one that dies in the air screaming like a dying rabbit (thatís literally how it sounded like) .. I called AMT up immediately, and they seem to have never had this happen before, especially on an engine with only 7.5 flights on it .. Based on their pre and post sale support, i think i should have a good engine back in no time.

I did not fly the rookie yesterday, but will probably take off during the week to maiden it ..

Now I have a question for you : why in the world are you not flying that Aggressor you left at U-fly ?? that thing will be ballistic in the air !!

catch you later ..

Wojtek
Nov 28, 2004, 10:27 AM
Displaced Texan
Woj,
I hope that AMT sorts you out quickly. Sounds like a bearing gave up on you....and at a really crappy time....in flight! Glad you were able to get it back on the ground ok. I've seen many of those Kingcats fly, and they look as though they glide forever, and would do well engine out.

I'd love to see the Gripen in the air. I bet that bird is hard to see when it get moving! You having custom trunions made for that gear?

As far as the Aggressor, well, that is PURE laziness on my part! It does need a few things to be worked out.....l/g doors for example. The mains need to be connected pneumaticaly;plane was designed for mechanical retracts....I hate them so am converting to air using the BVM units. The setup of the air cyls needs to be worked out. Nothing hard, but time consuming. It LOOKS killer, though, and will scream once I get off my butt! LOL

I'll try to catch you next weekend. I should be at the shop by about 10-1030.

Cya,
Jeff
Nov 29, 2004, 08:38 PM
never fast enough !!!
Thread OP
Jeff,

sounds like you could have that Aggressor up and flying in a days worth of work .. I Hung it up for you in the shop, so next time you are by, plan to work on it for a few hours .. we can take it down and you can cut your gear doors out .. if you need a gear sequencer, tower hobbies sells one for around $30, and all you need is 2 air valves (1 gear, 2 doors)

As for my AT400, it was received by AMT today and this will be a warranty repair ... Sounds like a washer that is used on the preload caused the bearing to go out of alignment, throwing the whole bearing apart, and it went from there ... While the engine is at AMT, they will also free of charge upgrade my combustion chamber, and some other components along with some modifications ... i was told I can expect around 4 more lbs of thrust out of the engine now, at even faster response rate ... (as it is the throttle response was so fast, i could rev the at400 like i was throttling a zenoah g45 ) I can't wait to get the engine back in the KingCat ..

As for the Gripen, yea, its hard to see it, especially when its sideways .. i sometimes roll it on its side a bit just to get a comfort-glance of the wings .. from top or bottom, the delta wing is very visible ...

let me know when you will be my .. I still have not flown the rookie, so i might do it this weekend .. will you be by ??

later ..

Wojtek
Dec 17, 2004, 08:59 PM
fly'n low
Sent mine back to Comp Arf. It was damaged upon arival .I am going to put a Eagle in the new one when it shows up. hope to have it in the air by mid jan. 30lbs of thrust, she should book.
Dec 17, 2004, 11:30 PM
Woj,

Are you using the stock vector pipe or a different one?

Brian
Dec 18, 2004, 11:29 AM
never fast enough !!!
Thread OP
the stock one ...

Wojtek
Feb 18, 2005, 12:50 PM
very interesting

Quick Reply