Feb 17, 2018, 09:35 PM
I am not a robot
Yes Yes Steve, let's hear you comparisons. It looks very similar to the Slick as I remember mine. But since I've decided to go back to all electric, I don't have it here to look at now.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2018, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbishw92
Looks good Steve cant waite to here what you think about it compared to the Slick
Come on Bill you have to get one that way I can fly it . I will be honest when the new schemes were first shown I didn't like them at all. I did like the cowl right off the bat. Now the schemes are starting to grow on me. I'm thinking this is one of those it looks much better in person things.
Feb 17, 2018, 10:39 PM
out to have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregertman
Come on Bill you have to get one that way I can fly it . I will be honest when the new schemes were first shown I didn't like them at all. I did like the cowl right off the bat. Now the schemes are starting to grow on me. I'm thinking this is one of those it looks much better in person things.
If they have an orange one in Toledo it will be coming home with me.
Feb 17, 2018, 10:41 PM
Jus 1 more plane is all I need

Time to build

Lots of building in the coming weeks. Going to power them both with Xpwr 30's. Will build the 74" Slick first, then the custom covering on the 75" Edge. Hope to have the Slick ready for the NGMARC fly-in but work travel may get in the way of the hobby LOL.
Feb 17, 2018, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Sweet. Xpower / motrofly or DA 35 for power?
Feb 17, 2018, 10:51 PM
out to have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregertman
Sweet. Xpower / motrofly or DA 35 for power?
probably going to pull the DA35 out of the laser and huck the out of it.
Feb 17, 2018, 10:59 PM
Now I realy want to fly it.
Feb 17, 2018, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashVegas
Lots of building in the coming weeks. Going to power them both with Xpwr 30's. Will build the 74" Slick first, then the custom covering on the 75" Edge. Hope to have the Slick ready for the NGMARC fly-in but work travel may get in the way of the hobby LOL.

Custom covering?
Feb 17, 2018, 11:40 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Hi Bert, I had to get a new iPhone, and having a bit of problems with the email set-up, as soon as I can do so, I will post the motor box photos. That said, it appears to be identical to the 74" Slick. Just a different shape, and it appears the wings are definitely thinner.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 18, 2018 at 01:35 AM.
Feb 18, 2018, 12:01 AM
Team EFRC, Castle, BandE
Thread OP
Quote:
You can preorder and they will bring it, that will assure the process......just sayin
Feb 18, 2018, 12:33 AM
Closed Account
I need some advise guys...

This will be my first plane in this size class (I've owned 41 to 60 in) and I want a few more opinions...

I plan on Xpwr 30 setup. I have used the Talon 90 in my 60in planes with great results. Is there any reason I should go with the Edge 80 instead of that?

Thinking of using 7955TG's...what do you fellas think?

For the Spektrum guys...would you go with a Powersafe RX with 2 batteries or would you go with a lighter regular RX on one Battery?

Also any other suggestions I'm open to hear em'!!
Feb 18, 2018, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashVegas
You'd be surprised what you can fit in smaller vehicles. This is my wife's older Highlander (not the new bigger one) with front seat folded forward. 91" Yak, 74" Edge, 60" Edge, and a foamy speed plane. All with the stabs on. Necessity is the mother of invention.
I have a 2012 Subaru WRX hatchback. I freaking love it because it's a fast, sporty car, yet i can fit plenty of planes in it. The two pics with multiple planes are a 3DHS 74 Edge, a 57" PA Extra MX, a 32" foamy and an 56" Quaker. This includes a full-sized toolbox behind the passenger seat and a toolbag full of Lipos in the passenger footwell. Driver's seat is still all the way back (I'm 6'-3"). I don't have a pic of it, but the past two seasons, I've been bringing my 74 Edge, the foamy and an FMS 67" foam Corsair. All fit easily. Not saying it's easy packing and unpacking it because it has to be done in just the right order, but still doable for a car this size. Being a hatchback is the key. Could never fit all this in the same car in the sedan version.

The third pic is my buddy's 50cc, 88" EF Edge 540T. The rudder and both horizontal stabilizers are removed and the passenger is folded all the way down. Hatch closes with room to spare (no wings here, but those are the smallest part of any 3D plane). So good to know I won't have to trade in my car if I want to go 50cc size!
Feb 18, 2018, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stang

This will be my first plane in this size class (I've owned 41 to 60 in) and I want a few more opinions...

I plan on Xpwr 30 setup. I have used the Talon 90 in my 60in planes with great results. Is there any reason I should go with the Edge 80 instead of that?

For the Spektrum guys...would you go with a Powersafe RX with 2 batteries or would you go with a lighter regular RX on one Battery?

If you are planning on using the Edge 80, you will have to use either a battery or an ESC for the receiver. Due to the 'hassles' of wiring up a 12S system, and then how they have to be plugged in in a certain order each time, I am going with a battery this time. Probably one of the Thunder Power 2S 2000mAH RX packs they sell. but will have them put normal 12 gauge wire on them when they build them and I will then put a female Deans plug on those then a male Deans with two heavy duty servo type leads/plugs soldered to it. I don't believe the Talon is rated for 12S, but rather 8S max.

As to the receiver, those are great receivers, but with a plane this size, I really don't think you need two RX packs.

HS-7955TGs are great servos for the plane, and though not 'rated' for 8.4 volts, they work perfectly fine on that voltage. That said, I am going to try a set of the ProModeler DS345BLHV servos this time around. If they live up to their claims (and I see no reason they shouldn't), they should be very good servos.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 18, 2018 at 01:41 AM.
Feb 18, 2018, 01:38 AM
Ok Bert..

I don't know how much good these will be to you, as it was difficult to get photos inside a black box, but here are some motor box pix. As noted, it appears to be identical construction to the 74" Slick.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Feb 18, 2018, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stang

The Talon 90 isn't an HV ESC is it? If not, it can only handle up to 6S or maybe 8S. The 90A is plenty though. I would go with a CC Edge 80HV. 80A is plenty for this motor setup. I have basically the same but with a Motrolfly 4330-216 and 20x8 prop going on four seasons. Max continuous current is only 69A.

The 7955TG's are perfect and from what I have heard confirmed many times is that you can run them at high voltage, 8.4V, though they will jitter a little at neutral. Running them at maybe 8V would probably eliminate that. But I ended up using 7954SH servos, which are the same but steel gears and are designed to run at HV. You get 400 oz-in at 8.4V and they are quite fast at this voltage too.

This was my also my first plane larger than 60" so I had a lot of questions, especially about how to power the RX and servos. At this size, with brand new kit and components, yo're getting in the price range where you might want a lot of redundancy similar to what you see in 50cc and larger planes. I came to the conclusion that this is not justified in a 30cc plane and I really wanted it to come in at no more than 11lb. So I have a CC BEC Pro powered by one of the 6S packs (running 12S) and it powers my RX and servos.

Well this is my initial setup. I have since added an Xtreme Power Systems x10+. It is like a poor-man's PowerBox system. It provides the servos their own power bus that is capable of like 40A and other neat features. Tiny, practically no weight and only $35. I also added a Scorpion Backup Guard for redundancy. It only adds 3.6oz of weight and costs $35 about.

I really feel like powering the RX/servos from a separate lipo is overkill in this size, especially two lipos for redundancy. Plus, now you have to worry about how many flights you can get on that pack. After five flights, can I fly another time? Voltage is 3.8V/cell, I guess so, maybe? What if it's 3.75V/cell, another flight? When I switched from gas to electric, all my planes were powered by the ESC's BEC or a separate BEC powered by the main pack. Every flight I have a fresh battery for the RX/servos. Never worry about if my flight pack can do another flight or not. Think about how many crashes involve miscalculating whether the flight pack can go another flight. That probably accounts for half of all crashes, flight pack going dead. I think the setup I have come up with is the best balance of weight , complexity and redundancy in this size and type plane.

Quick Reply