May 14, 2018, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katniss
I don't think it's the retracts, but the forward gear doors having to fight the air when deploying the landing gear down. Because of the air resistance on those doors, the gear can't get far enough to lock. I'm tempted to remove them.
I don't have the gear doors installed because of the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2018, 06:16 PM
fastphil, I'm getting about 7,200 rpm with the DLE 20 and Master Airscrew 16-8 three blade. With regard to the gear, the stock gear didn't last very long. I purchased Robart 810 RSE electric retracts. They were garbage. Finally took out the electric motors and drives and replaced with air cylinders. Still using the Robart struts. I have to use 125 psi and slow to "gear speed" to get the gear to extend reliably with the forward gear doors. I have heard that the E-Flite 60-120 size rotating electric gear work ok, but getting the oleo struts fitted can be a pain.
May 15, 2018, 12:46 AM
flyin' Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Pilot
fastphil, I'm getting about 7,200 rpm with the DLE 20 and Master Airscrew 16-8 three blade. With regard to the gear, the stock gear didn't last very long. I purchased Robart 810 RSE electric retracts. They were garbage. Finally took out the electric motors and drives and replaced with air cylinders. Still using the Robart struts. I have to use 125 psi and slow to "gear speed" to get the gear to extend reliably with the forward gear doors. I have heard that the E-Flite 60-120 size rotating electric gear work ok, but getting the oleo struts fitted can be a pain.
Thanks man. I’m curious, have you flown her with a 16x8x2? That seems a big sacrifice in performance, though scale looks does count for something. Retracts are always an issue with these warbirds, it seems.
May 16, 2018, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Very nice Kat , good luck with the maiden.
For those that have this plane or the Kyosho has it been assumed that its the same plane ?
Just curious ,
Thanks
It's the same plane, just different color scheme. Looking at the pictures on Tower's website, the pieces are the exact same, the assembly is the same, the metal flat pins holding the wing halves to the fuse are the same, even down to the pilot....
May 16, 2018, 07:15 PM
Maddened mine today (kyosho color scheme).

CG at 95mm.
3.5" Robert diamond tread wheels
Tacon 110 on 8s 5000 turning an 18x12

Plane took off rather well after a long run down the runway. I was being conservative at first- trying to see how she tracked.
Wasn't difficult to hold relatively straight.

She broke ground and was a tad squirrely until trimmed out.

Flew around for 5 mins trimming her out. She flies well. I never ended up putting it to full throttle.
I deployed half flaps to check to see if it pitched the nose, but none was detected. Full flaps same.

Brought her in on full flaps. She'll slow down and stay flying, but will slow down quickly.
She landed fine. ...needs a little power to keep from bouncing..
May 16, 2018, 09:14 PM
flyin' Dude
Congrats Katniss, that sounds like a hot setup.

Does anybody think a dle30 will fit? I like a bit of speed occasionally and I don’t expect the typical DLE20 setup we use in .60 size warbirds will pull this bigger plane around the same. I can see how electric might be the way to go for performance but I still like to hear my warbirds.
May 17, 2018, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastphil_v
Congrats Katniss, that sounds like a hot setup.

Does anybody think a dle30 will fit? I like a bit of speed occasionally and I donít expect the typical DLE20 setup we use in .60 size warbirds will pull this bigger plane around the same. I can see how electric might be the way to go for performance but I still like to hear my warbirds.
I currently have a VVRC 21cc in mine but have an extra DLE 30 on the shelf. I will take a look tonight and see if it will fit and get back to you.
May 20, 2018, 02:14 PM
flyin' Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangilmore
I currently have a VVRC 21cc in mine but have an extra DLE 30 on the shelf. I will take a look tonight and see if it will fit and get back to you.
Thanks. I also did a screen grab of the DLE30 dimensions. Whatís the desired distance from the firewall to the prop washer on the Corsair?
Jun 17, 2018, 12:08 AM

Corsair Setup

I've been reading the thread on this Phoenix 20cc Corsair. I have one coming to replace my long time friend, my Top Flite 60 sized Corsair. Tower informed me that Top Flite is no longer and since I paid for the Top Flite corsair kit months ago, they replaced the Phoenix kit for the no longer available Top Flite kit. I have all the working parts from my old Top Flite kit and had plans to put them in the new kit. Now with the Pheonix Corsair I have all sorts of concerns and looking for help.

Obviously my OS 120 won't be enough so I was going to either put my Saito 180 in her or get a DLE 20. I love my DLE 55 in my GS Top Flite Mustang. I'm concerned that the DLE 20 won't be enough for that little extra power I have become used to on my old .60 sized. That said the 180 will stick out of the cowl.

Next, based on the thread, the retracts sound junky and I wondered if my Robart Air retracts from my .60 sized would work better. As far as the forward gear doors, on my TF .60 sized, I made mine work with magnets that would attach to the strut and they never bound up. I'll have to see how the recommend Phoenix method works or the piano wire method mentioned. I've found the simpler the better on my scale planes. Any recommendations would be appreciated, Thanks.
Jun 17, 2018, 05:02 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I would go with a DLE 35RA , its compact vs the 55 and like most corsairs this will help keep the weight forward. Most of the Phoenix ARF have room to play in the cowl area so you should be able to also move the cowl forward, adjust the internal cowl blocks and keep the scale equity of the font end.
As far as the retracts , early in the thread I asked if the retracts were problematic like the larger Phoneix P40, the tech team chimed in and stated the retracts were differant then the P40 /improved and not the same . I think I asked this on the Tower thread , you should be able to see that question live.
I have the Phoneix A26 90” plane, the retracts are rock solid no concerns and worrying or replacing them despite my love of electric retracts would have been a total waiste of money.
Relax , wait for your model as I am sure you will dispel the typical urban legend that plegg most of the new ARF releases.
Jun 17, 2018, 07:22 AM
I have this plane(kyosho color scheme).
The retracts work OK, but require using Robert airlines and valves. The included stock stuff is worthless.

Moving the cowl ring forward won't work, but you could add some blocks along the ring to possibly get another 1/4" of space.

I've got an 8s power 110 setup in mine with an 18x12 prop. It flies pretty decent, though it feels slightly heavy in the air to me. I suppose that's based on the way the previous plane I had this motor/prop sitting in.... That one was lighter by a couple pounds.
Jun 22, 2018, 10:15 PM
Flyboy, I have a DLE 20 in mine and it has good power. Not unlimited vertical if that is what you want. Also the cg came out right with the 20. I have a separate radio and ignition battery. Both 2000ma Fife. They are both as for forward as they can go. No extra weight needed. Mine is the old DLE 20 with a pitts muffler. Only the end of the plug protrudes from the cowl. I think the 35RA is not needed, but each to his own.
Aug 14, 2018, 01:01 AM
Just got one of these , going to use a Power 160 on 10s with my - Ramoser varioPROP which was ready for 30cc vq dauntless that I haven't got yet

also ordered some new marking's from callie graphics..

And yes I am replacing the airlines and valves with Robert ones.
Sep 17, 2018, 08:39 AM
Hi All,

I come from an electric background and am considering this airplane as my first gasser. I'd prefer a radial, but it seems the only one that would physically fit is the FG-19R3 which would be underpowered especially at 5,000 feet where I fly (not to mention I'd probably bash the ARF which would add some more weight). I'd like to also put a smoke tank and pump in it. Since I cannot find the manual anywhere online, I thought I'd ask the owners of this model. Is there room in the fuselage for a smoke tank and would the DLE35RA be the best engine choice for my conditions?

Thanks.
Sep 21, 2018, 12:38 PM
Supersonic Engineering
I've just placed an order for one of these - can anyone tell me, please, if it's fitted with a retractable tailwheel?

Quick Reply