Feb 13, 2018, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New phoenix 20cc Corsair

Was ordering some stuff from Towerhobbies and noticed that Phoenix is releasing a new 20cc Corsair.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2018, 04:49 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Its a nice size my concern is the retracts . THere is a thread on the P40 and apparently the retracts are really bad .
Feb 14, 2018, 05:10 AM
Thread OP
Yeah thats a major drawback.
Feb 14, 2018, 08:17 AM
Full scale or 1/8 scale
Dam,I just bought an ESM corsair/brick.
Feb 14, 2018, 10:11 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I am not sure you need to be upset I think you have a better model
Last edited by Ldm; Feb 14, 2018 at 01:22 PM.
Feb 14, 2018, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
flaps
Feb 27, 2018, 03:30 PM
I bought this Corsair from ZigiRC almost a year ago. I've been really busy so I haven't finished it but all I need to do is balance and fly. So far the retracts seems to be good as they have proven to hold air and cycle without issue. Also, it's confirmed that the Corsair uses different retracts than the P40.

I've been searching for a thread about this airplane for a long time and I'm glad to have found one. Once I fly it I will report back with the flight characteristics.

A buddy at my local field has the P40 and he definitely had issues with the retracts. I also own the 60CC Tucano and I have had good luck with the retracts. In my experience, the biggest issue with the retracts is the soft metal they are made out of.
Last edited by ryangilmore; Feb 27, 2018 at 03:54 PM.
Mar 01, 2018, 03:20 AM
Ryan, can you let us know the cowl diameter?
Mar 01, 2018, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huang
Ryan, can you let us know the cowl diameter?
I will take measurements tonight and post the diameter. I have a VVRC 21CC mounted in mine.
Mar 01, 2018, 12:31 PM
Thanks Ryan! That would be really helpful.

How did it balance with the VVRC21? I'm trying to see if a Saito 170r3 radial would fit/balance. The Saito has a diameter of 198mm and weighs 46 oz, about 18 oz more than the VVRC.
Mar 02, 2018, 09:02 AM
The inner dimensions of the cowl are 7.5". Please don't be thrown off by the measuring tape alignment on the right side as it's due to the angle of the camera position.

I haven't balanced it yet but I feel I might need to add a little bit of weight. Once I balance I will provide the nose weight that was needed.
Last edited by ryangilmore; Mar 02, 2018 at 11:09 AM.
Mar 02, 2018, 12:37 PM
Thanks for taking that picture!

It's a bummer the Saito 170R3 won't fit as it is 7.8" in diameter, plus the cowl tapers smaller towards the front. It also means the FA-200r3 or the FG-33r3 won't fit as well.
Mar 11, 2018, 12:21 PM
I saw this on the Tower website. Looked at all the pictures and specs. This is the 71" wing span Koyosho Corsair right down to the odd pilot and retracts, just different covering and markings.

I've had it about three years so will impart what info I can. The airplane is fairly light at 12.3 lbs with a DLE 20. The 20 is a good match for the airplane. I was flying off a grass runway and the air retracts didn't last long. They are made of very soft aluminum and soon got where they didn't work. The plane flys good. No added weight was needed to balance with the DLE 20. It does have the Corsair fish tail in rough air. I added a gyro on the rudder which helped.

I replaced the retracts with Robart 60 size electrics. These are no good as they had very small machine screws threaded into soft aluminum that pulled loose. Sent them in twice under warranty. I finally removed the electric motors in the Robarts and converted to air using Robart struts and air cylinders.. They are now working fine. I have over a hundred flights on this plane.

The plane has wheel well doors. I couldn't get the factory set up to work correctly and had to redesign and use small servos on the doors. I used a HK sequencer and after a lot of fiddling got things working. I replaced the dummy engine with one for a H-9 Hellcat and installed a more scale size pilot.
Mar 11, 2018, 12:36 PM
I also used bigger wheels, as large as would fit in the wells. I didn't like the control linkage for the flaps and did an internal linkage. Here is a picture of the door set up. Also picture of stock dummy engine and the replacement I used.
Mar 11, 2018, 12:48 PM
Now for flight characteristics: In an approach stall, gear and flaps down, it will fly quite slow, when it breaks, it falls off to the left, but does not snap and recovery is quick. No tendency to snap out of tight turns or pull ups, at least not that I have seen. On landings with flaps, in trying to three point it gets very slow and is a fine line between landing or getting too slow and stalling. I instead like to use full flaps, carry a little power and land on the mains at a higher speed. It will do large loops but does slow near the top. The 20 is a good match and is adequate power, but not over powered.

Quick Reply