Feb 13, 2018, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Boats with lights and sound systems

With all the questions and talk about boats with lights and sound, how many of you on RCG would use that boat, as a "first grab", regular run boat?
Meaning: 1-2 times a month, 2-3 hours of use, at regular club runs. I have 3 tugs with lights, and two are "first grab", regular use boats, the third is 30+ years old and does not get used regularly anymore. I know "simple" 2-3 channel boats are what most of my club members regularly run, the other boats come out 1-3 times a year, if you are lucky.

Thoughts anyone....
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2018, 03:08 PM
Mmm, tugs...
My complicated models can swim, I just never have time to go out.
Feb 13, 2018, 04:11 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
My most complex boats run the most, because I need the practice.

The springer is three channel plus lights, and it gets a lot of run time not
because it is complex, but because it is easiest to set up and transport, and
provide recovery for other modelers. The last time I had it out I brought a barge.
When we arrived and found the pond low, I grounded the barge, and used the
springer to practice salvaging the grounded barge. While the other modelers were
finished running back and forth, after 20 minutes and had idled their models to chat, I was
still resetting the barge high and dry, and making the ungrounding more of a challenge.

So really, a simple model is fine, as long as the task is difficult.

Feb 13, 2018, 06:03 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
I guess it all depends on what you,the builder/buyer want to get out of RC models. When I was a kid (some say I still am) I loved boats and model trains...trains were the only models we really had ,oh yeah there were airplanes but they were attached to a string and required an adult present...then there was the Lindberg line...If only those motorized plastic boats could go out and come back! RC was expensive,real expensive... Now we can, my boats- I want to look as real as I can make them -with lights and sound and smell ( smoke? ) if I could have little robot people I would...but sometimes its nice to throw (literally) something in the water and do laps. Lately as I get older I find its more fun solving the engineering problems of the build....Run the boat, if it all worked as planned move on to the next set of problems...But again that's just me..
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Feb 13, 2018, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
I guess my question was somewhat misunderstood.

I was curious about the guys with boats that have nav lights, deck lights, interior lights, sound systems, etc., all controlled by your radio (you know the boats), how often are those boats actually run?

Example: Pat HAS THEM, but admits he never has time to run them. So they unfortunately become very expensive display items.
Feb 13, 2018, 07:25 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Ah, but they're not display items... they were building exercises... and that's how I like to spend my time.
Feb 13, 2018, 07:37 PM
Greetings....I have way too many boats, some have just navigation light (fishing boat) some have nav lights & cabin lights, one even has it in the compass, tow lights on a tug, spot light on wheelhse roof....just did a Coast Guard Springer with flashing red & blue police type lights on the roof top..,,One has to plan how the wiring will run, what the voltage of the lights are so you can power them & most of the time when running they can't even be seen !!!
Feb 13, 2018, 08:27 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Some people like to run their boats all day at the pond- some people like to build their boats and prove their boats at the pond -some have bells and whistles -some are all business ...that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Feb 13, 2018, 09:18 PM
jda
jda
Fossil builder
Many of my boats have running lights but only one has a sound system. That one always comes off the shelf any time there is an event. The next one is a tow boat which doubles as a retriever. Since we have quit having local regattas my hobby is mainly boat building, a lot more static models and recently trying some scratch building. Still enjoy the building!
Feb 13, 2018, 09:43 PM
Grumpa Tom
I have a few scale boats with lights and/or sound systems, and I used to run one of them every week when the Irregular's were in business. But there is no longer a "scale" group of boaters in my 'hood, just fast electric speed demons so my scale boats almost never get out anymore.
Feb 13, 2018, 10:28 PM
Nickel Belter
I have working lights on all my boats but I don't use them much until fall comes around and I'm boating in twilight. Looking to find a sound system to put in my most-run boat this summer.
Feb 14, 2018, 08:56 AM
I tend to get carried away with all the bells and whistles. Like Patmat and Gaito, I enjoy the design part and solving problems. My current build, a Dumas triple cockpit Chris Craft has 15 leds, a Harbor Models sound system with two speakers, two step down voltage regulators, three rc switches and full telemetry. I like the telemetry, as being able to look at the screen on my transmitter and see battery voltage, current draw and motor temp is almost like being in the boat looking at the gauge's. Being able to turn the lighting on and off from shore with the rc switches also gives me a bit of the being in the boat feeling. A bit of overkill perhaps, but I find it enjoyable to make everything work together. As I sold off my other Chris Crafts, it will be my primary boat this summer.
Feb 14, 2018, 11:00 AM
Started with lights in some of my boats but since I have never gone sailing at night, I gave up on that idea and started putting in working add ons. Working water monitor in one, working tow winch in another, and working radar antenna in another. Like Aimee, I prefer to have a task for my tugs to do at the pond than just going around in circles. Barge handling, Tanker docking etc. To each his own. Currently, my logging tug is the first one I grab off the shelf, but I know that when I get my tanker in the water, my Smit Ned with the working winch will be the first choice.
Feb 14, 2018, 12:04 PM
Patmat I feel the same way about building and designing. Have seven boats almost finished, and three have not hit the water. Hard to find a decent place to float. My wife also thinks they are display pieces, but when I tell her they are building exercises, she reminds me I probably should spend a few more hours at the gym for exercise also. She is a great partner though and fully backs my "building exercises". jerryj98501
Feb 14, 2018, 12:10 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryj98501
Patmat I feel the same way about building and designing. Have seven boats almost finished, and three have not hit the water. Hard to find a decent place to float. My wife also thinks they are display pieces, but when I tell her they are building exercises, she reminds me I probably should spend a few more hours at the gym for exercise also. She is a great partner though and fully backs my "building exercises". jerryj98501

I can second this as well Jerry. Difference is that mine do make it out to the water several times a year or on public displays. I have found that I am less willing to go the extra features that I used to "think" had to be on a scale type model. And if I do have them operating...well just don't use them as much since most play time is in daylight.

Quick Reply