What RC Plane Would You Want On a Deserted Island?

Surely you've played the deserted island game before, or at least have heard of it. Well I wanted to play this game with my RCG friends here and find out what one airplane you would want with you.

Splash

What Plane Will You Choose?

Surely you've played the deserted island game before, or at least have heard of it. Normally, it starts with a group of friends coming up with an idea like "If you were on a deserted island, what one survival item would you take with you?" or what one person would you want there with you, etc. Well I wanted to play this game with my RCG friends here and find out what one airplane you would want with you.

Keep in mind, that you are stuck on this island forever with no access to any planes other than the ONE you bring with you. This is the plane you will be flying for the rest of your life. Since this is all fake and just for fun, let's assume that there is a hydroelectric power plant on the island so you can recharge batteries as much you like.

For me, I would pick the Snipe DLG. If I had to pick a favorite plane that I own currently, it would be the Snipe. I can launch it roughly 200ft+ into the air and fly several minutes to several hours depending on the conditions and it's always fun and challenging to find the lift each and every flight. I can't see myself getting bored with that.

Let me know what plane you would choose and why.

Feb 13, 2018, 10:43 AM
Arrowhead
I’d pick one with enough range to get a message to civilization!
Feb 13, 2018, 10:47 AM
Mine would probably be the Valiant 1.3

I'm assuming the island will have electricity & batteries available, since without those, none of us would be flying for very long.
Latest blog entry: Goldberg Eagle 2
Feb 13, 2018, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
I’d pick one with enough range to get a message to civilization!
You win!

I'd be quite happy with my Mystique RES glider. Given the challenging nature of thermaling and the abundant thermals, I'd probably keep myself quite occupied.
Feb 13, 2018, 11:15 AM
I'd feel better if the island has a grove of balsa trees.

Andy
Feb 13, 2018, 11:18 AM
Arrowhead
I tried to resist, but couldnít help myself

In the spirit of the thread though... though Iíve moved on to primarily balsa planes... Iíd have to go with my trusty olí PZ Wildcat. After 7 or 8 years in this hobby, it remains the one plane I never get tired of.
Feb 13, 2018, 11:51 AM
That's actually kind of a tough question. I generally prefer speed - right now my EFXtra is probably my favorite plane. But I don't know if it would be THE plane I would have if I could only have one. Having only one plane with 3-4 minute flight times would get old I think. In the last year I have taken out my Easystar II a couple of times, and the long flight times make a pretty big contribution to the fun factor for an otherwise kind of boring plane. Maybe I'm just getting old...

I think I might go with the Tundra. I actually find it somewhat boring, but it is amazingly versatile. STOL, floats, FPV potential, upgraded to 4S, has some aerobatic potential, etc.

Naa.. Still too low in the flight time department. Maybe a long range FPV wing for 20+ minute flight times, but something I could also hot rod LOS with...
Feb 13, 2018, 12:01 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
If the island had a nice slope , a Le Fish :

Hardcore Ultrabatics / VTPR with Le Fish (4 min 32 sec)

Feb 13, 2018, 12:05 PM
That was cool...
Feb 13, 2018, 12:36 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
A multiplex funcub, 15 minute flights, and the most fun i have had with rc.
Feb 13, 2018, 12:52 PM
One large enough to carry me back to civilization!

But in all reality, any Extreme Flight plane. Probably my 60" EF Laser or 74" Edge.
Feb 13, 2018, 12:57 PM
AeroDan
Maybe the OLD Cox Hobbies “Sky Rally” scale ultra-light, w/EP conversion. I saw this on the shelf @Hobby Shack-La Habra (Now Closed), 30+ years ago. About $90-. Back then, $90- to this little-fat-kid was like $90K.
Feb 13, 2018, 01:06 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
That was cool...
Here is a Le Fish being flown mountainside in high winds :

Acrobatic flying with Le Fish, NE Bowl of Mt Elden, AZ (3 min 42 sec)

Feb 13, 2018, 01:28 PM
Whats one of them solar r/c planes that can fly forever, how about that because anything else would be boring after day 1 and ur batteries/fuel is gone.
Feb 13, 2018, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
Whats one of them solar r/c planes that can fly forever, how about that because anything else would be boring after day 1 and ur batteries/fuel is gone.
In the article:
"Since this is all fake and just for fun, let's assume that there is a hydroelectric power plant on the island so you can recharge batteries as much you like."

Quick Reply