Nov 21, 2018, 11:02 AM

Yay

Hi all

Quick update:

Just received the kit from Banggood.
All is well apart from the somewhat crushed cowling (bigger than i thought).

Import to Belgium costed me 50 euro’s.
Time to see if banggood makes due on their ‘tariff insurance’..

Probably won t be building right now, but I’m happy with what I see so far. 👍
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2018, 04:13 PM
N = R* × fp × ne × fl × fi × f
They make a nice wooden shipping crate to send this out in.....shame it seems they have NO IDEA how to pack it.
HOW ?? does the cowl get crushed and cracked in that box? Let me guess...they put it in first, then the rest of the kit goes in on top.......
Nov 22, 2018, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoic
They make a nice wooden shipping crate to send this out in.....shame it seems they have NO IDEA how to pack it.
HOW ?? does the cowl get crushed and cracked in that box? Let me guess...they put it in first, then the rest of the kit goes in on top.......
The packing was ok; cowling on top.
The crate is just 2-3mm ply with the cowling sitting right beneath the lid.
I think the lid might have been bent; during transport.
Ply bends; fiber not so much.
The glasfiber seems ok; its the hard white coating thats been put on top of it (just white plastic?) thats cracked.
Nov 22, 2018, 04:13 PM
Its Gelcoat or similar, it can be fixed easy enough, but shouldn't have to be. I guess China has run out of packing foam when they turned it all into Zagi's......

Simple guide to fixing gelcoat - https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-re...amaged-gelcoat
Nov 23, 2018, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Its Gelcoat or similar, it can be fixed easy enough, but shouldn't have to be. I guess China has run out of packing foam when they turned it all into Zagi's......

Simple guide to fixing gelcoat - https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-re...amaged-gelcoat
Thanks; will look into it
Nov 25, 2018, 08:43 AM

Its real

So Banggood made good on their word,
They paid me back the full 32 euro’s in import tax..
The other 20 euro’s were custom fees.

I’m somewhat impressed (the tariff insurance costed me 3 euro’s upon placing the order).
Dec 06, 2018, 07:07 AM

How much parts.

Just out of curiosity, anyone has idea from how much parts this plane consists - 200? 300?
Dec 06, 2018, 11:51 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Pete
I have ordered mine from Banggood, though unfortunately it's not next on the build list, so mine will end up in storage for a while too.

Also busting for someone to make a reasonably priced Albatross D5 or D7 balsa kit at about 1400 - 1500mm wingspan
Get this one from Manzano Laser, I just finished it last weekend. Aerodrome rc brand, 59" wingspan.
Dec 07, 2018, 03:52 PM
NICE !! D-7.......I hope it flies as good as it looks, being a D-7...it should. I have yet to see a bad model of one, even a bent D-7 will fly well when trimmed.....GREAT AEROPLANES in any size.
Shame all the Manzano stuff is so tiny. Very nice collection of types. If they had some 80" - 100" span they would be worth looking at........
Dec 07, 2018, 05:00 PM
I have no idea what I'm doing.
Quote:
NICE !! D-7.......I hope it flies as good as it looks, being a D-7...it should. I have yet to see a bad model of one, even a bent D-7 will fly well when trimmed.....GREAT AEROPLANES in any size.
Shame all the Manzano stuff is so tiny. Very nice collection of types. If they had some 80" - 100" span they would be worth looking at........
I have ordered several kits from Manzano, great product every time, but he doesnt have a lot of planes in the 60" or larger sizes I prefer. This D7 kit was really nice, though not cheap, it just flew together on the building table! I just ordered the DR1 from Banggood, looks like fun build too!
Jan 05, 2019, 07:37 AM
I would like to redirect the discussion to the original topic, which is the DWHobby Fokker DR1.
Last year, I bought one and it arrived around Xmas. I have not created any wooden airplane for many many years, so I was curious whether I will enjoy it. But, since I have a couple of other projects at the moment, I did not want to start with the Fokker straight away. Well, I thought, it cannot hurt just to build the dummy engine, which alone consists of around 180 parts. And then, I could not stop. It is so much fun to build this airplane. Compared to the wooden kits in the old days, the quality is really great and the parts fit together very nicely, at least up to my building stage. There was some minor problem with the shipment though. Took a while and the wooden box fell apart when I unpackaged it. It was glued very badly, but that is something that can be fixed easily. The rest seems to be fine. The cowling has a tiny crack though. But that is alright for me.

If you intend to build this plane, I highly recommmend to watch the videos from RC Geeks, which are mentioned on the first page of this thread. They have some very good ideas to improve the Fokker. Unfortunately, the last video stops with the situation that the Fokker does not want to roll to the left. They wanted to try with a smaller prob, but they have not provided the information whether that succeeded. Looks like I will have to find out by myself. Or maybe somebody else knows how to solve this problem.
Last edited by pixelkorrigierer; Jan 07, 2019 at 10:32 AM.
Jan 05, 2019, 07:43 AM
I work on the fuselage at the moment. It consists of many parts, which have to be glued together. Getting them together in the right order is important and that is not clear from the instructions. I came up with doing it like shown in the pictures below. That worked well for me.
Starting with assembling the battery tray together with the second frame works well.

Then you can attach the 1st frame, which gives you a stable structure to continue with the side wall and the other frames.

When attaching the side wall to the frame, make sure not to put any glue to the points I highlighted below. Otherwise, you will have trouble to install some reinforcements later.

I glued together the side 2 side wall pieces of the fuselage before gluing them to the frames in order to have a smooth surface on the side walls.
Jan 05, 2019, 06:35 PM
Nice to see this thread back on track and looking forward to more pictures and build note, I'm waiting for mine to arrive but building the little one while I wait. I agree the quality is nice in comparison to the old days of die smashing parts. This is probably a kit for an experienced builder due to the lack of instructions, but if you have a few kits in the past it shouldn't be too big of an issue. I watched most of the RC model geeks videos on this dr1, just wish he had videoed more of the build activity but it's still great information and tips.
Jan 05, 2019, 06:36 PM
It sure looks good in the pictures and the laser cutting looks precise.
Jan 06, 2019, 09:06 AM
Cool that there are still people viewing this thread. I hoped that it is not dead.
As RC Model Geeks starts most of the time: "I have been busy..."

Most of the parts fit together well. I have marked where it does not fit so well. But that is not a problem. I can solve that with small pieces of ply wood.
[Edit] After looking closer at it, I found out that this gap is my fault. It is possible to build it without this gap.

If you go through your parts, you will find two pieces F19-1. They are not mentioned in the description and it took my a while to find out where they go to. I have marked that in the picture below.

The hatch for the battery tray fits okay. Not perfect but okay. Actually, my hatch is upside down. You can see the mark for the position of the magnet holder. It should be on the other side. But that does not matter.

At the end of the tail, you need the pieces F11 and F14. They are a little bit hard to find, since they are not in the bag where most of the fuselage pieces are, but in the wing bag.

I will reinfoce the frames for the tail. They are bending already.
Last edited by pixelkorrigierer; Jan 13, 2019 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply