Sep 11, 2019, 09:35 PM
monocote over ultracote every time. I've tried ultra a couple of times and yeah it doesn't stretch shrink and wrap like mono can. i would give double the bucks for more topflite fiberkote though. it is a joy to work with looks spot on for fabric as it is fabric and is as easy to work with as monocote.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2019, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
I want a matte textured look. It needs to look like dyed linen.
I think the RCModelGeeks dude just applied a matt clear coat. The alternative is to do like I did, and just let them sit around long enough to collect ample amounts of dust, which gives them a nice matt finish
Sep 12, 2019, 03:57 AM
casual park flyer
I put a light blue fabric matte covering on my old Pilot Tiger Moth which I still have and scads of an antique solartex bought years ago for an uncompleted 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup. Not interested in monokote or the coverite product. Have many models covered with those products in the past. And many rolls on hand. I want the same products I had available thirty years ago and if I cant find it I'll go old school.

Not a concern. I'll figure something out. Wont be covering until this winter anyway. Thanks for your inputs.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Sep 12, 2019 at 04:51 AM.
Sep 12, 2019, 04:32 AM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash goodly
I just got two 16x10 and one 16x8 zoar ww1 scimitar props for mine. I think the 48 surpass won't be enough motor for this. you will find that you're going to want to beef up a few areas on this model but nothing that can't be done easily. you'll need at least a sixty size 4stroke. if you keep it real lite though you might get away with a 48 but you'll need to add weight to the nose.
The .48 Surpass hauled a Sig Senior with a 12lb. Hi-8 camcorder on board just fine. I imagine it'll at least get this triplane airborne. If not I'll address that when I get to that point. I do have sufficient electric power on hand as well. But I want to go old school with this. (dig out my 72mhz radios? . . hmm.)
Last edited by 52Sabre; Sep 12, 2019 at 05:53 AM.
Sep 12, 2019, 09:59 AM
Quote:
The .48 Surpass hauled a Sig Senior with a 12lb. Hi-8 camcorder on board just fine. I imagine it'll at least get this triplane airborne. If not I'll address that when I get to that point. I do have sufficient electric power on hand as well. But I want to go old school with this. (dig out my 72mhz radios? . . hmm.)
72s are still better then 2.4. the only advantage in 2.4 is no need for the freq board at the club.
Sep 26, 2019, 11:46 AM
done and ready to fly.
Sep 26, 2019, 11:47 AM
she gets paint and pilot after the maiden and three solid shake down flights.
Sep 27, 2019, 12:11 AM
casual park flyer
Quote:
she gets paint and pilot after the maiden and three solid shake down flights.
Looks good! post pics of the wreckage

AMA 998298
Sep 27, 2019, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Looks good! post pics of the wreckage

AMA 998298
thanks for the blessing. remember those words when karma poop piles yours into the ground.
Sep 27, 2019, 06:53 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
thanks for the blessing. remember those words when karma poop piles yours into the ground.
OK "Crash". Take pictures.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Sep 27, 2019 at 07:12 PM.
Sep 27, 2019, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Hey, my friend, your the one with the "Crash Goodly" nick! Do you live up to that?
I crash goodly 99% of the time. landing is nothing more then a well controlled damage free crash. there by" crash goodly" sorry if I offended with the poop karma pile. I will say this much about the model. have lots of spare balsa stock on hand. I ended up having to cut a lot of new parts as some of the wood was not useable in a model that's going to fly.
Sep 27, 2019, 07:22 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
I crash goodly 99% of the time. landing is nothing more then a well controlled damage free crash. there by" crash goodly" sorry if I offended with the poop karma pile. I will say this much about the model. have lots of spare balsa stock on hand. I ended up having to cut a lot of new parts as some of the wood was not useable in a model that's going to fly.
I've got 30 year old kit boxes full of excess balsa. I mean once you punch out a set of ribs it's excess. Might as well ship it with everything punched out. Then the manufacturer can recycle the balsa. The rain forest is damaged enough. Doesn't need to suffer further for some old man's hobby.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Sep 27, 2019 at 09:06 PM.
Sep 27, 2019, 09:28 PM
Quote:
I've got 30 year old kit boxes full of excess balsa. I mean once you punch out a set of ribs it's excess. Might as well ship it with everything punched out. Then the manufacturer can recycle the balsa. The rain forest is damaged enough. Doesn't need to suffer further for some old man's hobby.
that will do the trick. one of my club mates has got a stunning array of balsa and lite ply as well as bass he has been building this collection for 75 years and he's a spry 90 years old. he always is willing to let the gang raid his stock for a build. the laser cutting on these kits is great. they do leave all the pieces in the flat stock. it took about six weeks from start to finish but i'm retired so I have a lot of free time to play in the hobby rooms. the wood in your old kit boxes is going to be better then the stuff they push as balsa nowadays.
Sep 28, 2019, 12:17 AM
casual park flyer
Retired as well. Had gotten used to 4 day builds like my Tidewater Playmate .20 or Sturdy Birdy. Six weeks seems like a long time. But seems my Sig Senior took longer. Had a lot of nose shaping and a custom transparent green and gold monokote pattern. mechanical flaperons. miss that bird.

AMA 998298
Sep 28, 2019, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Retired as well. Had gotten used to 4 day builds like my Tidewater Playmate .20 or Sturdy Birdy. Six weeks seems like a long time. But seems my Sig Senior took longer. Had a lot of nose shaping and a custom transparent green and gold monokote pattern. mechanical flaperons. miss that bird.

AMA 998298
the mrs is retired as well so I got to work around her plans as well. a lot of the time was devoted to designing lite bracing for the wings and fuse you'll se how weak it is out of the box when you get yours.

Quick Reply