Feb 13, 2018, 01:00 AM
The Old Shop Teacher!
Thread OP
Discussion

Any Info on a Bob Parkinson Balsa "Pusher Prop" F-18 Kit

Hello to All!!

I am new and looking for info on an old Canadian made kit.

I have just acquired a Bob Parkinson Balsa "Pusher Prop" F-18 Kit.
This is a .60 sized plane 64" Long and a 51" WS w/ Foam wing cores and Bob's "Jetskin" wing covering / sheet vinyl .
This is a "factory" made "Pusher".
I assume it was made as a proof of concept for the Blue Hornet / Fiberglass Fuse?
I am not sure if this was first then the Blue Hornet then the Regal Eagle, Barracuda, Cheetah?
There was a video made by Bob showing how to build this and then how to as showing him flying this F-18 model!!!
I have the instructions for both the kit and for the "Jetskin"
I am looking for any and all info on the kit.
Year Made?
Scale?
Plans?
Pictures?
Build Log?
Kit box top Picture?
Pictures of the kit?
What every you have or know PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Thank You!!!!
Jeff Sawyer
Lancaster, Ohio
Last edited by sprint312; Feb 13, 2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: adding new info
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2018, 09:31 AM
I made three of these. What do you need to know. Toolmaker and I copied the plans a while back.

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint312
Hello To All!

I have just acquired a Bob Parkinson Balsa "Pusher Prop" F-18 Kit.
This is a .60 sized plane 64" Long and a 51" WS w/ Foam wing cores and Bob's Jetskin.
I am looking for any and all info on the kit.
Year Made?
Scale?
Plans?
Pictures?
Build Log?
Kit box top Picture?
Pictures of the kit?
What every you have or know PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Thank You!!!!
Jeff Sawyer
Lancaster, Ohio
Feb 13, 2018, 01:40 PM
The Old Shop Teacher!
Thread OP
Hello!!!!!!!

Thank you for the reply!!!
See my added photos.

I have the instructions but no plans!
So I need plans PLEASE!!!!

Also any kit info you may have like I asked for in my post PLEASE!!!!!
Year that it was made?
Scale?
Box Picture?
Build log?
Bob's Video on how to build and fly it?
Any thing else you may have PLEASE!!!!

Any lessons you learned etc.

Thank You!!!
Jeff

You may call me if you like
Last edited by sprint312; Feb 13, 2018 at 01:57 PM.
Feb 13, 2018, 03:40 PM
Hi Jeff,

This a "builders kit". I know Bob and worked directly with him on this. The placement of the fan is not defined.. I really had to monkey with it but I marked the plans that I have. Mine is ramtech with a OS 90 DF engine. The problem with a rear situated engine as opposed to the front placed motor that the plane was designed around is that a rear engine pushes the CG way back so you have to be creative. I also made another airframe to accommodate a turbine but it is tough to carry enough fuel and not kill the wing loading on it.

The hornet flies really nice.. It is really almost as nice as a pattern plane.

Another thing for me that I found helped with placing the wings was the use of a laser level to situate the wings. And finally for the turbine version I used carbon fiber spars from wing tip to wing tip through the body of the plane in order to strengthen the plane.

Toolmaker was making plans for this plane. I will ask him.. I am sure he will give you a set.

Andy

Quote:
Hello!!!!!!!

Thank you for the reply!!!
See my added photos.

I have the instructions but no plans!
So I need plans PLEASE!!!!

Also any kit info you may have like I asked for in my post PLEASE!!!!!
Year that it was made?
Scale?
Box Picture?
Build log?
Bob's Video on how to build and fly it?
Any thing else you may have PLEASE!!!!

Any lessons you learned etc.

Thank You!!!
Jeff

You may call me if you like
Feb 13, 2018, 07:58 PM
The Old Shop Teacher!
Thread OP
Hi Andy!!

Again thank you for the reply.
My research shows that Bob died in 2016 @ 79.
This kit was a PUSHER Prop only kit.
It is ALL balsa with foam core wing that were to be covered with Bob's "Jetskin" which is basically thin sheet vinyl.
This kit was NEVER a DF or made for a DF
The direction for the build is for a PUSHER.

Please look at pictures I have since loaded
The 1st Pix was in the kit
The 2nd is of the kit from an older forum post ( site I forgot) and looks / contents the same as mine.
The 3rd Pix is I assume of the plane he made. I doubt that Bob took this.
4th Pix Pg 1 instruction w/pix -PUSHER PROP
5th Pix 3rd / last Pg of Inst.
6th Pix 1st of basic plans
7th Draw of the Engine mount PUSHER
8th he include a Blue Angels draw, so AFTER the Blue Hornet was made?
9th Bob's Jetskin Inst

So if you plans are for a Balsa Fuse it may help?
But since it has been highly modified for DF it may not work?

There was even a build video that Bob stared in and then flight set up with Bob flying this plane!!
That would be the real answer.
I am 66 and a retired Shop Teacher and built a lot of planes so the building is not the problem!!
I just have a big box of wood with no part #s !!!
Bob precut a lot of the shapes and that at least gets the middle of the Fuse front and back half.
after that I could guess based on some build pictures of Mike Pastros's PUSHER F-18 RCM Plans that became the proto for the G&P's PUSHER F-18.
So that is what I know

Jeff
Feb 15, 2018, 03:08 PM
Hi Jeff,

We might be on different tracks here. I am really bothered to hear that Bob died. I had many good conversations with him. Almost went to see him as I am in buffalo and not that far from where he lived.

It appears from your dissertation here that there were other models of the F18. I specifically have plans and a manual somewhere for the F18 Super hornet.

I had the video but for my purposes the video was not useful to me. This was a very challenging build but it was worth the effort. As for the kit, this was mainly plastic parts that you might not be able to find but by the time I built 2, I was making my own parts. The wing plans I have show ribbed but I elected to make my own foam core wings. I never used any vinyl but again I think we are on different tracks here.

I will tell you that looking at the pics you have, I recall Bob saying he retrofitted the design to accommodate a ducted fan. Hence this is probably what lead to the kit I received from him. The design looks altogether similar so perhaps you can use the plans I have then.

Andy

Quote:
Hi Andy!!

Again thank you for the reply.
My research shows that Bob died in 2016 @ 79.
This kit was a PUSHER Prop only kit.
It is ALL balsa with foam core wing that were to be covered with Bob's "Jetskin" which is basically thin sheet vinyl.
This kit was NEVER a DF or made for a DF
The direction for the build is for a PUSHER.

Please look at pictures I have since loaded
The 1st Pix was in the kit
The 2nd is of the kit from an older forum post ( site I forgot) and looks / contents the same as mine.
The 3rd Pix is I assume of the plane he made. I doubt that Bob took this.
4th Pix Pg 1 instruction w/pix -PUSHER PROP
5th Pix 3rd / last Pg of Inst.
6th Pix 1st of basic plans
7th Draw of the Engine mount PUSHER
8th he include a Blue Angels draw, so AFTER the Blue Hornet was made?
9th Bob's Jetskin Inst

So if you plans are for a Balsa Fuse it may help?
But since it has been highly modified for DF it may not work?

There was even a build video that Bob stared in and then flight set up with Bob flying this plane!!
That would be the real answer.
I am 66 and a retired Shop Teacher and built a lot of planes so the building is not the problem!!
I just have a big box of wood with no part #s !!!
Bob precut a lot of the shapes and that at least gets the middle of the Fuse front and back half.
after that I could guess based on some build pictures of Mike Pastros's PUSHER F-18 RCM Plans that became the proto for the G&P's PUSHER F-18.
So that is what I know

Jeff
Feb 16, 2018, 02:20 AM
The Old Shop Teacher!
Thread OP
Hi Andy!!!!

No I think we are going the same way!!!
Bear with me because I think I have some good answers now!!!!
As a former teacher I may get long winded.
If you look at my last picture of instructions you will se what I am talking about in regard to Jetskins.
So the plastic I am talking about is roll of very thin sheet vinyl that Bob made and used like Monokote except that you used contact cement to sheet the wings he called it Jetskin.
As in the 2nd pic of the kit I have all of the Vacuform parts!! Pilot, Canopy, Cockpit, Fuse Hump, Stakes and Tail Cone
I know that I am missing just a few pcs of wood like Both LE and Sub LE, TE, Plywood to make Tail Cone mounts, Servo rails etc. .
Now I have by looking at any BPM post come up with some more info!!!!
If you look at this post on here by mshay: Build Log Bob Parkinson fun fly F-15 jet.
Lo and behold there was a PUSHER Regal Eagle!!!!!
There are some pics of the Box Top Art, Kit Contents, Plans and a start of the front half of the / nose fuse!
This is clearly a PUSHER and spelled out on the lid pic with Dow Pink Wings, Mine are the traditional White Foam.
He posted a pic of PG 1 of Inst. They are laid out diff than mine BUT do have a 1989 date
As this makes me think really hard, I remember the ads for 2 reasons first, His logo and the fact that it was Canadian.
(I live in Columbus, Oh area and have been to Buff/ Falls and Tor. due to hockey 50-60 times over the yrs.)
I also now remember PUSHER ads and the DF ads from I would say Mid 1980's.
I cut something out F-15? and kept that but all of that stuff went a different way with a how you say a change in administration ( got tired of her stuff after 23 yrs.)
So I now know that there is Box Art that confirms this as FACT: F-15 Pusher, F-15 DF / Regal Eagle, F-18 The Blue Hornet DF and now my PUSHER kit and at least another on a post on maybe on RCU that there was a F-18 Pusher, then the DF Barracuda and Cheetah.
So based on your comments then the Pushers were first then the DFs.
Now as for the ONLY F-18 plans I know of are of Mike Pastor's PUSHER in RCM ( He was Canadian also).
They were both made in .40 & .60 and had Built Up wings!!
The .60 model became the PROTO for the G&P Fiber Fused DF F-18.

SO the pushers were most likely made first and with Built Up wings like Mike Pastor's then he went to foam.
I can't tell by the pic how some the hot wire of the wings are but mine are very "wavy" as he was not constant in his pulling the wire to cut the core.
They needs sanding to get them to the point of being able to cover them.

WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok then I would kindly take ANYTHING you have and reimburse you for the same!!!
Do you still have the Video?
Would you have the Box Top Art or a pic of?

I will make a new post with some more pics on what I know and even Bob's Obit.

I can't thank you enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff

P.S. The Blue F-18 Pusher I assume was the finished model the other guy in the only other F-18 Pusher prop post built?
My pic of White Marines was in the box stapled to the inst and hence the Factory Photo
Last edited by sprint312; Feb 16, 2018 at 02:30 AM. Reason: add photos
Feb 16, 2018, 03:28 AM
The Old Shop Teacher!
Thread OP
Hi Andy!!

Here is part 2 of my reply!!
Yes Part 2!!

Ok here is the rest of the info I have found!
There were F-18 Regal Eagle Supreme kits (DF only?) / see copy of Post from here!!
So to me a SUPREME kit was as follows.
My guess was that they included the Jetskin and I would assume things like gas tanks, wheels and based on my "factory photo" if you look really close Robart Strut covers.
If you read the top of my Jetskins inst. it clearly states that the jetskin WAS NOT included in all kits!!
I took 2 pics of the roll of Jetskin.
I have taken a picture of the basic kit laid out minus the wood bundle!
I have taken 2 pics of the engine mount and prop guard with the drawing in the Inst.
And as I said before the Mike Pastro's RCM Plans.

So I just about have it wraped up I guess except any thing I can get from!!
This is about 45 hrs. of research since last Thur. 2/8 to get this far!!

Jeff
Last edited by sprint312; Feb 16, 2018 at 03:35 AM. Reason: add photos
Feb 16, 2018, 07:54 AM
Hi Jeff,

I was a teacher too for a long time so I understand wholly.

I can tell you firsthand that Bob lost his wife very tragically to colon cancer.. it took him apart and things went downhill for him. My wife also died from cancer so i know what the road is like. By the time I got my kit there was no color anything.. not pics, no glossies... I got a video that was useless to me. it was a DVD that has long been gone. I pitched it.

Andy

Quote:
Hi Andy!!

Here is part 2 of my reply!!
Yes Part 2!!

Ok here is the rest of the info I have found!
There were F-18 Regal Eagle Supreme kits (DF only?) / see copy of Post from here!!
So to me a SUPREME kit was as follows.
My guess was that they included the Jetskin and I would assume things like gas tanks, wheels and based on my "factory photo" if you look really close Robart Strut covers.
If you read the top of my Jetskins inst. it clearly states that the jetskin WAS NOT included in all kits!!
I took 2 pics of the roll of Jetskin.
I have taken a picture of the basic kit laid out minus the wood bundle!
I have taken 2 pics of the engine mount and prop guard with the drawing in the Inst.
And as I said before the Mike Pastro's RCM Plans.

So I just about have it wraped up I guess except any thing I can get from!!
This is about 45 hrs. of research since last Thur. 2/8 to get this far!!

Jeff
Feb 16, 2018, 12:58 PM
The Old Shop Teacher!
Thread OP
Hi Andy!!!

Funny but not!! Pam's Husband died w/ colon cancer as well 5 yrs. of no fun!!
My dad took 5 yrs. at the end for him with MS.
So I FULLY understand where you and what Bob had endured!

Ok then so have I solved the mystery then in your mind of what I have?

Do you have anything let that I may have?
As I said I will gladly reimburse you!

PS - You know what is funny? I have dual posts - General Airplane and then Jet on here and then RCU and on the Canadian version of here R/C Canada and NOT ONE response from there. You would think they would have bought some?

I have only 2 people actually respond with some type of info and your 1.

Jeff
Last edited by sprint312; Feb 16, 2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: adding new info

Quick Reply