Psycho Chicken - RC Groups
Feb 12, 2018, 02:24 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Build Log

Psycho Chicken

Psycho Chicken will start life as a 1.2 meter hollow molded flying wing.

Airfoils were kindly designed for me by Peter Wick, thanks very much Peter. I provided a basic wing plan and Peter gave me the details.

28 degrees sweep tapering from 150mm root to 120mm at the tip. 1 degree of wing twist at span station 1 and 3.5 degrees twist at the root with 1 degree of anhedral.

Profili converted the plots that Peter gave me into printable airfoils. Foam cores were hotwired using aluminium templates and bagged with one layer of 165 gsm twill weave glass. These have now been filled, shaped and sanded then painted with 2k.

Peter suggested fitting winglets aft of the wing tips highest point so I experimented with curved transitions made from MDF that morphed from the PW foil into a HT12 airfoil. These turned out really well and have also been painted.

Psycho Chicken hotwired foam cores. (0 min 44 sec)

Foam core (0 min 30 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2018, 03:19 PM
Very nice.

What do you think/plan the all-up-weight to be?

-Dave
Feb 12, 2018, 05:16 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave
Very nice.

What do you think/plan the all-up-weight to be?

-Dave
Thanks Dave. I imagine a medium weight build to be around 500gms but there are a lot of variables. A simple pod fuse could be used or a larger blended centre which will increase the span. And there's options for various layups depending on whether it is to be a lightweight floater or a heavier speedy sloper.
Feb 12, 2018, 06:00 PM
Slow builder
Nice.
I'll be watching this build.

Al
Feb 12, 2018, 08:39 PM
less is more
So just a layer of heavy glass to make the wing plug for molding?
This DOES look doable.
Getting the parting board to match the twisted wing should be interesting.

This little gem could be really fun with a ballast tube in the wing. Just a lb. or two could really make a difference.
Feb 12, 2018, 09:07 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53
So just a layer of heavy glass to make the wing plug for molding?
This DOES look doable.
Getting the parting board to match the twisted wing should be interesting.

This little gem could be really fun with a ballast tube in the wing. Just a lb. or two could really make a difference.
Yes Kent, a single layer of 165 gsm glass is sufficient provided that a couple layers of resin are applied to completely seal the foam so the thinners in the paint doesn't attack the foam. Napalm plugs were made this way. The templates were drawn in Profili with 0.6mm skin thickness to cater for the glass thickness and resin and then the plug has body filler applied to low areas as per normal.

The twist in the wing had me dreading making the parting plane but I made a start on that this morning and much to my surprise both the leading edge and trailing edge appear to be very close to flat and even, within 0.5mm. The real challenge will be curved parting planes for the winglets. They promise to be lots of fun!!!
Feb 13, 2018, 12:00 AM
Faster is Better
Very cool project. I like it.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Feb 14, 2018, 09:53 PM
Living on the Dark Side.

Filling and sanding, and..... filling and sanding.....and......more fu.....

Well after about a million hours filling and sanding the plugs they received a few spray coats of hi build 2k primer before being rubbed flat a few times using a guide coat to highlight the low areas, This was followed by a top coat where my spray gun decided to release all the built up gunge that had accumulated inside the workings of the gun. This resulted in a super shiny finish that looked like gravel had been liberally cast on the paint. Anyway after lots of sanding the finish is now pretty good, not perfect but good enuf.

The parting planes have now been fabricated using melamine coated MDF. Despite my earlier prediction the Leading edge had a 2.5mm kick in it at the twist change line but this was easily catered for with the MDF. The trailing edge also had 1.5mm kick. Blocks were glued onto the parting plane and gently sanded to the exact height required then were glued onto the flat base boards.

One skin surface has been rubbed back with wet and dry starting at 320 grit, then 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 and 3000, ....whew!!! Then the polisher was used to buff out the 3000 scratches. It came up to an acceptable finish. The rest of the wings will be finished this arvo I hope then set in the parting plane ready for edge sealing prior to starting on the mold.
Feb 14, 2018, 10:09 PM
Certifiable User
Good stuff Greg. So many cool models getting made down under

Subscribed
Feb 14, 2018, 10:35 PM
It's time for me to fly
Inspiration ?

The Fools - Psycho Chicken (1980) (3 min 23 sec)

( Apologies to the Talking Heads! )
Feb 14, 2018, 11:18 PM
Living on the Dark Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando
Good stuff Greg. So many cool models getting made down under

Subscribed
Thanks Lee, yes there's a wealth of knowledge and accomplished builders close by and are happy to help a newbie learn the ropes, thanks to those guys.
Good to hear you are subbed, hope you enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
Inspiration ?

https://youtu.be/UnBlst3T7bY

( Apologies to the Talking Heads! )
Haha thats pretty funny Jim.I wasn't aware that there was a knock off of the Talking Heads Psycho Killer but when my shift partner and I hear it on the radio on night shift we strut round the workshop yelling out " PSYCHO CHICKEN", so yeah mate you are correct, that was the inspiration.
Feb 15, 2018, 09:19 AM
It's time for me to fly
Awesome
They were a local band when I was in Boston, late 70s. On the original uncensored version, where the chicken clucks, were the lyrics "what the ?

Cool project!
Feb 15, 2018, 09:24 AM
Person of interest
LOL - loved that vid. This little bit of improv from your countryman Pommie Johnson always cracked me up too:

Gonged But Not Forgotten - Psycho Chicken (0 min 51 sec)
Feb 16, 2018, 03:06 AM
Auzzie built planks
Subbed I was wondering when the thread was going to start after getting txt of shinny bits and pieces

I'll put my name down for the DS spec version , cactus starts in April so hurry up and " get R done "
Latest blog entry: More colours
Feb 16, 2018, 04:50 AM
Keep the camera rolling.
Great looking project mate. Put me down for a light version, with ballist tube. Very lucky getting help from some awesome builders.
Still need to get my hands on one of Tims light gizo's. Should be an awesome year of gliding.

Quick Reply