Feb 12, 2018, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

1:64 scale MV Jupiter (A calmac car ferry)

Hi to anyone who see's this. I am making a relatively big rc model boat and came across this website when I was looking for pictures. My hope is to show what I am doing (if I can figure out how to put photos up) and how I'm doing it and also to learn from more experienced modelers (as I am only 14) how to do certain things.

I am not doing the Voith Schneider motors because I have been told that they are complicated and also they are a bit expensive for me. At the moment I have finished the Hull and I am currently working on the details for the car deck(moving from the back to the front).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2018, 01:59 PM
Sounds good Andrew, looking forward to seeing some photos of your progress.
Last edited by steve mahoney; Feb 12, 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Feb 12, 2018, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM446
Hi to anyone who see's this. I am making a relatively big rc model boat and came across this website when I was looking for pictures. My hope is to show what I am doing (if I can figure out how to put photos up) and how I'm doing it and also to learn from more experienced modelers (as I am only 14) how to do certain things.

I am not doing the Voith Schneider motors because I have been told that they are complicated and also they are a bit expensive for me. At the moment I have finished the Hull and I am currently working on the details for the car deck(moving from the back to the front).

Thanks, Andrew
you have made a very wise choice not to go down the voith route Andrew.....they are a real pain to set up properly and I still haven't done so........twin propellers and a bow thruster would be just as good on his model..........take care and happy building. neil.
Feb 12, 2018, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
thanks Neil and Steve

just a photo of a sunset on the Clyde to test if I can upload photos
Feb 12, 2018, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
There will be no photos posted till Thursday because its in my School and we are off till then. Work will be slow going, due to the fact that I can only work on the boat 1 hour a day(break time and lunch). I hope to make it as detailed as Neils(link to his thread at the bottom)but I doubt it due to the fact Neil has WAY more experience BUT I do have access to 3D printer so that should help a lot.

Neil's build thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...acbrayne-ferry
Feb 12, 2018, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Was looking for more photos for the stern of the ship and came across this.
Feb 12, 2018, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
Found this interesting

https://www.orcadian.co.uk/orcadia-s...orkney-waters/
Feb 12, 2018, 09:33 PM
boat butcher
Quote:

Thanks, Andrew
Welcome to the forum .

Mark
Feb 13, 2018, 07:02 AM
Thread OP
Ran into a bit of a problem with the electronic... because I didn't use the Voiths I got a controller with 3 channels 1 of them being an on/off switch for lights. But now that I have decided to get a bow thruster for the boat I now need to get a different controller so that I can use the rudder, main motor and bow thruster. If anyone has any good website links or controllers that I could use that would be great.
Feb 13, 2018, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
The components used for the Bow thruster setup
Feb 13, 2018, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
and of course the battery but for some reason it wont let me upload a photo of it.
Feb 13, 2018, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
Sort of finished the bow thruster electrics just need to measure the length of wire needed to connect the bow thruster to the speed controller.
Feb 13, 2018, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Was looking for more photos for the stern of the ship and came across this.

sadly Andrew she never sailed a route with cargo.......the new owners found her unsuitable for what they required and although they spent a lot of money getting her back to useable state and a repaint and name, she is back up for sale.....the last of a class called "Streakers".

go on to this site, you'll see many photos and much info on them. https://www.facebook.com/groups/994209153998722/
Feb 13, 2018, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
If only I had enough money to buy her and take her back to the Clyde.
Feb 13, 2018, 05:27 PM
Quote:
If only I had enough money to buy her and take her back to the Clyde.

there is a group of dedicated people who are trying to do just that, Andrew.

Quick Reply