Extreme Flight Aces High Focke-Wulf FW-190A - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Extreme Flight Aces High Focke-Wulf FW-190A

Extreme Flight has entered the world of scale warbirds with a splash! With its fantastic flight characteristics, it is sure to become a favorite of anyone looking for a great flying sport airframe with scale looks. Let's take a look at the latest offering from Aces High!

The Aces High Focke-Wulf 190A

Product:Aces High Focke-Wulf 190A
Retail price:$399.95
Wing Span:62"
Weightl:6.5lbs w/o Battery
Motor:Torque 4016/500KV
ESC:AirBoss 80
Prop:Beechwood 15 x 7 E 3-Blade
Batteries used:6s 5000MaH
Servo:6 HiTec HS-7245MH
Available from:Extreme Flight

With more than 212 victories and 830 combat missions, Hermann Graf was awarded the highest military decoration at the time, The Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds. Graf served in both the eastern and western fronts during WWII and was the first Ace to shoot down more than 200 adversaries. And with this kind of pedigree, why not paint your cowling and rudder to something that can't be missed?

Extreme Flight went through the challenging task of researching this amazing aircraft by singling out this exact airframe and recreating it as closely as possible including the actual reproduction of the seemingly random camouflage pattern. Let's jump in with Mean Joe and check it out!

On the Bench

The Extreme Flight Aces High Focke-Wulf 190A hits the bench with many scale details. They really did a great job on the printed covering! With the panel lines and details already on the airframe, this will make for an easy build. The weathering and markings are right on point with the actual "Red Tulip" FW 190A. It really looks great.

The build followed pretty much right along with the typical ARF construction all the way through. The manual is well written and includes many very detailed pictures of how it should progress. I didn't run into any issues at all getting this one ready to hit the field.

As you build your FW-190A make sure you follow the instructions on using the pin method for installing the control surfaces. This will give you the proper gaps all the way around to ensure many successful sorties.

Builders notes:

Make sure you pay close attention to the included wiring diagram for the retract system. This is very important to ensure proper operation of the retracts.

The only thing I needed to modify at all was that the holes in the wing panels were not quite deep enough for the installation of the pin hinges used to mount the pocket flaps. The hinge point should set so that it is fully seated against the control surface. The photo on the top of page 7 of the manual shows the perfect setup. The holes just need to be drilled a little deeper to accommodate this. The rest of the build went perfectly right along with the well-written manual.

The recommended power set up is a perfect match for the Aces High FW-190A. The combination of the Torque 4015T-500kv brushless motor and Air Boss 80amp ESC is going to make for a fantastic flying airframe. This combo has plenty of power for all the scale aerobatics you can throw at it, as well as being powerful enough for some great low pass strafing runs! With the optional 3-blade prop and scale spinner, this is the perfect set up for scale looks and power.

I went with the recommended servo set up on this build and could not be any more happy with the awesome performance of the Hitec HS-7245MH servos. This set up is perfect for this great flying warbird.

I feel that the intermediate builder would have no issues at all getting the Extreme Flight Focke-Wulf 190A ready to maiden in just a few hours from box to field. Now that we got her all ready to go let's head to the field!

Extreme Flight Aces High Focke-Wulf FW-190A - Flight Demo (2 min 14 sec)

The First Sortie

As you can see, the Extreme Flight Aces High Focke-Wulf 190A is a fantastic looking scale airframe. The attention to detail is really quite good and I can see even the hardcore scale enthusiast finding this airframe a hit. The printed covering looks great at the field and I'm sure will turn many heads.

Flight Characteristics

Ok, so the first thing I want to point out is that the Aces High FW-190A "Red Tulip" is a fantastic flying airframe. She has plenty of power for any scale aerobatics you can give her and looks great in the air.

That being said, it is a warbird, so keep in mind that it flys like a warbird. You want to make sure you give her plenty of time to get enough ground speed on take-off to ensure that you get airborne without a tip stall. Just don't try to force her off the ground and you will be fine. Next tip I will give you is she will want to land like a warbird as well. Make sure you keep some speed and a little power on while landing and you will have no issues at all. I see the intermediate to the advanced pilot having no issues with this awesome flying sport warbird.

In Closing

In Closing, the Extreme Flight Aces High Focke-Wulf 190A sport warbird couples great scale looks with an awesome flying airframe. It has plenty of power with this set up for many missions into the sky over your field. The printed covering is very well done and looks great on the ground and in the air. I definitely have to give this one the "Mean Joe" seal of approval for both looks and performance. ~Mean Joe

Last edited by Mean Joe Vermillion; Feb 14, 2018 at 08:09 AM..
Feb 14, 2018, 09:58 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
what a cool bird! The weathering is awesome in person
Feb 14, 2018, 12:32 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Did you have to add any dead weight to hit the recommended CG?

Feb 14, 2018, 02:18 PM
When are they going to fix that god awful canopy
Feb 14, 2018, 02:45 PM
What bugs me about this plane is the servos...why on earth didnt they design it for standard size servos. I absolutely hate having to dish out that kinda money for a servo when a standard would do just fine for 14 dollars. Now i realize that i dont have to buy the hitec 7245 and theres no way I would at 69.99 a piece , but even at 24.99 for the 225MG its ridiculous for a plane in this size. I think this just a pet peeve of mine but a 62inch wingspan plane costing roughly 600+ vs. the 55inch FMS 1400 Fw190 for 314.00 makes it hard to swallow for me. And I prefer balsa over foam.
Feb 14, 2018, 03:44 PM
Cant fly enough
Quite a bit of discussion in this prior thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...90A-Release%21

I definitely prefer wood construction. But the scale details on simple things like the canopy miss the mark of current foamies.
Feb 14, 2018, 07:50 PM
I keep telling myself that I am going to be the one that buys it, bashes it to scale and restarts interest and then something stops me from doing so !
Feb 14, 2018, 08:38 PM
Do you really want to kit bash a $400 dollar kit? I think if I was going to bash something I would bash this.
Feb 14, 2018, 10:27 PM
Frankly I don't think you should have to bash something as simple & obvious as the canopy shape. There's just no excuse for it being wrong.

I like the overall silhouette of the plane, but the devil is literally in the details.
Feb 14, 2018, 10:30 PM
I still don't understand how they could get so much correct and drop the ball on what really is a major feature of the FW 190.
Feb 15, 2018, 12:23 AM
no catchy phrase
Originally Posted by Ldm
I keep telling myself that I am going to be the one that buys it, bashes it to scale and restarts interest and then something stops me from doing so !
Like starting on your Corsair?????????? LOL
Feb 15, 2018, 06:20 AM
Ha ha , the corsair is complex and I have gathered most of what I need for that build but that is virtually a scratch build !
Been on an A26 90”, red box P39 and Lysender.

I am not going to defend all the things wrong with the Fw190 , what I am going to tell you is what it has correct vs all the other Fw190ties
For one the size is just in the comfort zone , dont like 55” or even 58” models , prefer 66 or larger but this is ok .
However the most frustrating part of any Fw190 is ,,,,,,,, ????????
Is it the cowl , the canopy , the gun hood , the small servo boxes lol , NO NO NO .

Its the retracts ! Most if not all with the exception of the Top Flight $800 Fw190 have the gear all wrong and that includes VQ, Seagull, ok so Give FMS some points for that one but remember we are talking wood and 7” more in span.
The retracts on this plane seem to be dead on scale, all medal and proven in the field. Retracts are the most difficult part of the FW to execute correct and fix if incorrect !
The canopy and gun hood is a simple “click , buy , mod and paint” .
Servo boxes too small , please I am not even going to address how easy that is to fix, I have had to add flaps , and retracts to models that have neither one and that is a bash.
The new Seagull is simply too small and the gun hoods looks like , um, well , cant even tell you what they are trying to do with that hood ! Plus most of the retracts seen on the Phonex models are crap , look at the P40 thread so you can count the gear out !

This plane ( Extreme Flight ) on a real 60 power motor will hum, in my opinion its underpowered in the videos for my taste so that is also another after market change I would make.
The removable canopy will allow for a ton of mods including a full cockpit , so while I agree and I have posted multiple times “ all the things wrong with this plane” I have changed my tune on what makes this plane so right !
Feb 15, 2018, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by CF105
Frankly I don't think you should have to bash something as simple & obvious as the canopy shape. There's just no excuse for it being wrong.

I like the overall silhouette of the plane, but the devil is literally in the details.
Yeah, exactly.

It's a molded plastic peice right? How hard is that to fix? Why did they get it wrong to begin with?
Feb 15, 2018, 01:30 PM
Because they are 3D guys not warbird guys
Feb 15, 2018, 06:30 PM
Ok so why in heck would you want to put full size servos in a plane this size? All that is doing is adding a bunch of extra dead weight. There are plenty of good quality and ultra reliable servos that fit this model without going to cheap fulsize servos.

Quick Reply