Feb 11, 2018, 10:22 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Estrellita for RPBO (now CAP19)

You will find drawings of George Woolls's Estrellita here -

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1538

I am building it original size, 10gm electric motor, RET.

This log will be erratic for a while. My partner needs medical treatment for which we must move to the big smoke.

During the exile I will have plenty of time to cogitate, and write about, various aspects of the project. So insomniacs rejoice. For the next four weeks I can do no building at all. Whenever this thread comes up, you can guarantee a gentle, uneventful journey to dreamland.

Here is a photo of progress so far.
Last edited by Footrrot; Apr 20, 2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: amend
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2018, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the build, I will be watching. And good luck the medical treatment

Greg
Feb 12, 2018, 05:31 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Looking forward to this one from one of my favourite designers. I have his La Paloma biplane which is structurally a lot like the Estrellita, converted to electric RET with a 30-50 watt motor and it is a really nice performer. Much of the structure is very like the Estrellita and I made very few changes.

And good wishes for the medical issues.
Last edited by Sundancer; Feb 13, 2018 at 02:01 AM.
Feb 12, 2018, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I've looked at the build log for your lovely La Paloma SD and will be stealing whatever I can from it.

There's a third model in this family that I can't find in OZ - it's a tailless called Arrowhead, scan below. A few years ago I set out to build it but mysteriously it turned into a pusher with a little pod fuse and tip fins. Actually that's the third GW design that has transformed on the building board. Must stick with the programme this time.

Hit the road tomorrow morning and the exile begins.
Feb 28, 2018, 06:20 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
That's an interesting plan, the Arrowhead - would love to see the article and pic to go with it, if you have those pages..?
Feb 28, 2018, 06:39 AM
RFJ
RFJ
Arrowhead article,

Ray
Feb 28, 2018, 10:13 AM
Culper Junior
Nice looking model, I’ll be watching along also.

And again, good luck with the medical issues.
Jim
Feb 28, 2018, 03:32 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ
Arrowhead article,

Ray
Outstanding. Thanks Ray, you are a wonder.

Steve
Apr 04, 2018, 10:25 PM
Thread OP
The exile is over - good to be home and My Beloved is a box of birds again. The backlog of chores is daunting but if the worst comes to the worst I will leave a machete (we call them 'slashers') at the gate and visitors can hack their own path to the door.

I will do the wing next using laminated ribs as usual. Before the exile I laid up three sheets of 1/32" on the form so I can start straight away.

Have just spoken to an old aeromodelling friend who surprised me having almost completed an Estrellita himself, his one properly rubber powered FF. A little while back Bruce was speculating that modern radio and power systems are comparable in weight to rubber and prop assembly so it will be good to have real data. My one will tend more towards 'control' rather than 'assist' so won't have the lightest gear but we may still learn something.
Apr 05, 2018, 11:54 PM
Thread OP
Wing went together very quickly. With this form of construction there is no tedious fitting. Can I take you through the building sequence? The photo below and the drawing in the last post should help.

Start with the le - lay it against a straight edge and apply pins tight alongside. Remove the straight edge and apply more pins to hold it firmly against the first pins.

Glue the lower ribs to the le leaving them over length to be trimmed at the te using a straight edge. I will come back to this because there is a trick to it but you can see that it's very quick.

Fit the little gussets that go over the lower rib and against the le. It's been explained a few times on this forum how you make gussets from strip, flipping it for each cut.

Glue the mainspar over the lower ribs.

Glue the upper ribs in place. In a constant chord wing the ribs would already have been shaped before stripping from the blank and would need no trimming at all. As this wing is tapered I had to trim each rib at the te but this needs nothing like the precision that a butt joint would as the rib just lays over the lower rib and te.

There, it's done, just waiting for some sanding and attaching to the centre section.
Apr 06, 2018, 03:33 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footrrot
...I will come back to this because there is a trick to it but you can see that it's very quick...
I have a cup of tea halfway to my lips, my breath is bated, awaiting your golden words to flow, giving the secret of this ease. Hurry up, please; I'll be needing to use the bathroom soon...
Very neat work; I presume that this method of construction could be applied to most wings..? Any notable exceptions or reasons not to..? Thanks for the explanation and photos.
Apr 06, 2018, 08:12 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Nice work, Footrrot. I like your wing build technique.
Apr 06, 2018, 08:23 AM
Edubarca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footrrot
Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I've looked at the build log for your lovely La Paloma SD and will be stealing whatever I can from it.

There's a third model in this family that I can't find in OZ - it's a tailless called Arrowhead, scan below. A few years ago I set out to build it but mysteriously it turned into a pusher with a little pod fuse and tip fins. Actually that's the third GW design that has transformed on the building board. Must stick with the programme this time.

Hit the road tomorrow morning and the exile begins.
This is the news of the year!! I didn't know there was a third partner in the Estrellita/La Paloma family. Hope the plan is uploaded to Outerzone.

By the way, "Estrellita" means "Little Star" in Spanish, and "La Paloma", means "The Dove", coincidentally, Paloma is my daughter's name.

And both Estrellita and La Paloma are excellent flyers with very imaginative and practical structure designs, especially the propeller. GW was a genius.
Apr 06, 2018, 08:52 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca
This is the news of the year!! I didn't know there was a third partner in the Estrellita/La Paloma family. Hope the plan is uploaded to Outerzone.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9850
Apr 06, 2018, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Dad and Brokenspar - I've been using this form of wing construction for about a quarter of a century now. The only reservation I would have is that the depth of the mainspar is restricted - I would do a towline glider some other way.

Edubarca - thanks for the background on the GW names - I just love the sound of them. I agree with you that he was a genius. His models ranged from the very beautiful like the Witch wakefield, to the very unusual Ace of Diamonds. Did you know that he did a rubber powered version of the AoD a sketch of which appeared in a Zaic annual? I'll look for it.

I won't be sticking very closely to his construction methods because I am a barbarian but my friend building the rubber powered one will, including the laminated prop. He is working from the proper full size plan which he tells me has many interesting details not discernable on the OZ version which seems to be scanned from the magazine. When he's finished I will see if I can scan his plan for OZ.

Colonel - you've nodded off again - I posted the Arrowhead earlier #4.

Quick Reply