ME 323 Gigant Graupner Kit - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 11, 2018, 07:17 PM
Build Log

ME 323 Gigant Graupner Kit

Wow! its been a long time since I've posted on RCgroups, 4 years actually.. I've been steadily busy with the Hobby, even got involved with flying indoor rubber powered duration planes which was/is a huge difference from anything I've done in the hobby before. I guess my nerves have gotten shot building something that only weighs 3.1 grams and breaks if you look at it cross-eyed, so I'm building something a bit more substantial, albeit somewhat off the beaten path.

My latest project deserves a build log, I think.

What has 6 engines and 10 wheels?????

It's a Monster WWII glider converted to a power by 6 engines!! The ME 323 GIGANT.

Here is a fascinating video of the real aircraft, it's well worth watching:

Messerschmitt Me 323 Gigant (11 min 4 sec)

This Graupner Kit is about 12 years old and I don't think the kit has been made for many years, the one I'm building came with die-cut parts, the parts are the best die-cuts I have ever seen, which has made for nice construction. The original design called for brushed Speed 280 motors they are anchors compared to the brushless I'm thinking about using. On the plus side of going brushless I will gain a substantial gain in thrust, and perhaps 6 ounces or so of weight loss. The weight loss is a good thing, but it might make achieving the CG balance problematic. I certainly need to make the tail section as light as possible. The plane will fly especially if you can keep the all up weight below 3 1/2 pounds, that's what I'm shooting for.

Questions, suggestions please jump in here....

Here are a few pics of my current progress:
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2018, 09:12 PM
Gorilla glue rocks
Unusual subject. Looking forward to watching it being built.

Spit100
Feb 11, 2018, 09:21 PM
Pro Hoarder
Very cool..I will fallow along. I have one of these that I picked up second hand.. It was pre lipos when I tried to fly it..the single aileron was not a good option and was not done very well. I was lucky to not destroy the plane. I have repaired the damage but not update the controls. it has sat for years now...
Feb 11, 2018, 11:39 PM
Post # 20 million
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit100
Unusual subject. Looking forward to watching it being built.

Spit100
Agree, good luck with the build.
Feb 12, 2018, 01:22 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Hi Bill,

Looking forward to your build. And thanks for the video--wow!

Paul
Feb 12, 2018, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Very cool..I will fallow along. I have one of these that I picked up second hand.. It was pre lipos when I tried to fly it..the single aileron was not a good option and was not done very well. I was lucky to not destroy the plane. I have repaired the damage but not update the controls. it has sat for years now...
Hey turbo,

Yes I agree the single servo for the ailerons is not a great design, so I have changed to a single servo in both outer wing panels to activate the ailerons.

Hopefully if my Gigant is successful you might be able to restore yours to flying condition, BTW do you recall the weight of yours when you try to fly it?
Feb 12, 2018, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne
Hi Bill,

Looking forward to your build. And thanks for the video--wow!

Paul
Yes isn't that video something!! Glad you enjoyed it. How about that Gal German test pilot, what a story.
Feb 12, 2018, 09:26 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
If you scroll down to the 'Similar Threads' list, there are a few thread listed on the Graupner Me 323.

Feb 12, 2018, 11:31 AM
Great video !

Thanks for posting.

COOL plane !!!
Feb 12, 2018, 12:26 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Welcome back Bill. Missed you! Interesting subject. Good luck with it.

Tony
Feb 12, 2018, 12:39 PM
Or current resident
Yea, good to see you back! I'm along for the ride. Should be an interesting build.
I have this kit too. I was thinking the same thing, with today's motors should be able to shave off a lot of weight and have more power too. The props are fairly small so possibly one of the RacerStar quad motors and Gemfan 3 blade props?
Glenn
Feb 12, 2018, 12:59 PM
Interesting model.
Still have (somewhere) the British magazine review of the thing, back when it was just released.
Reviewer was Glowing about the kit build quality and it's subsequent flight abilities...
s280's ..nicads 'n all.
Bearing in mind that it was a model of a Large, cumbersome /slow flying monster aircraft.
Feb 12, 2018, 02:35 PM
Hey,

Tony, Glenn , and Bare glad to see you guys are all still Kickin'....hehe This hobby must be good for longevity.

I certainly see what your saying about Quad motors and the Gemfan props Glenn. Take a peek at the picture of the Graupner prop supplied with the kit, it's tiny a 4X2 3 blade. The little spinner and hub are really sexy, I should be able to mount a 5 inch prop on the spinner and hub the motor spacing on the wing will allow that. The wire run from the wing outboard motors will be about 20 inches to the Esc's and I want to keep the max amps to about 5 so I can use some 22 gauge stranded wire, probably some HD servo lead.

The folks that built and flew this plane pre brushless did quite a feat, but like Bare said it is based on a big old slow Glider.

My last plane build was about as far as you can get from the Gigant, it's a electrified Goldberg Tiger60 it took me about 5 months of tinkering to build,we just maidened it 3 weeks ago.
Feb 12, 2018, 03:50 PM
Or current resident
I have the motors and props in my kit too. I really like those props and spinners and think they would work well on one of the 4000KV motors. Only thing is the shaft. I think the 1106 motor might be the ticket.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-150-Free-Test
https://www.banggood.com/4X-Racersta...SAAEgI5VvD_BwE
Feb 12, 2018, 04:07 PM
an 1811 at 2000 kv or 2900 kv will work well on 3s.
Same Kvs and size shaft as an S280 as well
Headsup Rc has 'em and ships immediately for a couple of Bux.

Quick Reply