Feb 14, 2018, 06:35 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Sure thing! I'll get measurements for you ASAP.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2018, 09:19 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornhill
Would it be possible to get the interior dimensions of the battery bay?

Also the dimension of something on the radio (maybe the length of the status LED in the centre)? I'm making mock ups and that'll help me estimate scales!
Ok, the status LED on the radio is 31mm long. The battery bay is 60mm deep, 34.5mm wide, and 17.5mm tall. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
Feb 15, 2018, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Ok, the status LED on the radio is 31mm long. The battery bay is 60mm deep, 34.5mm wide, and 17.5mm tall. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
That's perfect, thanks!

I really glad to see this thread. I've been waiting for a review that was more than just a youtube video. These measurements & photos are great.
Feb 15, 2018, 09:39 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Happy to help! Glad to hear that you find the thread useful.
Feb 17, 2018, 01:46 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quick night flight video added to first post. Much like the original Bugs 3, this mini version has some nice lights.
Feb 28, 2018, 05:27 PM
Max was kind enough to sell an extra B3 mini, so I've been flying it around. I tossed an Eachine VTX03 video transmitter and the Eachine 1000TVL CCD camera into mine, replacing the headlight with the camera. That mod was incredibly simple since it's already got a 5V JST connector ready to power your FPV setup.

It's pretty sporty. To me, it flies better than its specs suggest. It's surprisingly punchy, and it flies acro really well. Flips and rolls are pretty tight, and the controls are nice and responsive. I love the lights, they make the quad incredibly visible when flying LOS at dusk or at night. The only problem is that they're entirely invisible to the flyer if the quad is flying directly at you. I was flying at dusk and was lured into overconfidence when flying away from myself, because the lights are so obvious. But when I turned around and was bringing it straight back in at myself, I lost it entirely and had to pitch back so that I could see the underside of the quad where the lights are. That's not a huge deal though, pretty nit-picky.

My only gripes come down to the radio and the battery. For the radio, the reported range of 300m doesn't seem to hold up in practice with me. I was getting maybe 100m before signal would drop out. And the radio body is a little small, so pinch flyers might be a little cramped. And like many MJX products, the proprietary battery is a huge PITA. It seems kind of like a cash grab for MJX to lock you into their own batteries. I got an email from MJX saying that there's a shortage of the B3 mini batteries right now, so they haven't shipped any to distributors yet, and no ETA.

It's easily worth the price tag of $99, and you can get it for less than that at a lot of places. Seems like a great way for first timers to get into outdoor acro flying without spending a ton of money.
Mar 01, 2018, 01:34 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Thanks for the report Jonathan. Glad to hear that you are enjoying the quad. You're right about the lower lights not being visible when coming back at yourself. Perhaps you can find a way to mount the front LED somewhere on the body, now that you have put a camera in its place?
Mar 01, 2018, 04:28 PM
Yeah, not a bad idea. I may also try rerouting the lights to the ends of the arms instead of underneath. Or maybe not, it's more fun as an FPV flier anyway I think.

Hopefully your snow is melting so you can get some flying time in.
Mar 01, 2018, 04:36 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Well, it actually was gone, and we got a couple nice days. Now though, we're in the midst of another snow storm. We'll probably have 10 inches on the ground again before morning.
Mar 08, 2018, 10:15 AM
R/C Superfan
Quote:
Well, it actually was gone, and we got a couple nice days. Now though, we're in the midst of another snow storm. We'll probably have 10 inches on the ground again before morning.
Haha,same here,snow was mostly gone now got about 12" on the ground,indoor fpv shall continue
Mar 08, 2018, 10:33 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
I'm charging some batteries for some indoor flying now. Also have some frames printing so I can mess around with a couple new builds. Definitely not going to be doing any outdoor flying for a bit. We're in the middle of a snow storm that's been ongoing for a couple days. I can't even see over the drift that's outside my home office window.
Mar 08, 2018, 12:57 PM
Somehow I fried an ESC on my B3 mini. Bummer. I'm not exactly sure what happened. I had been flying this thing almost daily, then one day I started it up, gave it some throttle, and got some magic smoke. Motor 3 started hiccuping then same to a complete stop. Looked at the board and sure enough, fried.

I feel like that changes my mind about the B3 mini a little bit. I don't know that I'd recommend it with the limited range and potential flaky quality. It might be that this one was just a one off, but it also might be that the components are cheap. I think that's the problem with some of these not-quite-toy-but-not-quite-hobby grade quads. Once you start getting up past $100, it's almost worth it to just take the jump, spend a little bit more, and get a real hobby grade quad.
Mar 08, 2018, 01:27 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Well that's a bummer! I wonder if spare boards will be available, and if so, how much they will cost.
Mar 08, 2018, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Well that's a bummer! I wonder if spare boards will be available, and if so, how much they will cost.
Yeah, I'll be keeping an eye out for them. There doesn't seem to be a ton of interest in this quad, so it doesn't seem like they're in a big hurry to get components available.

It was fun while it lasted!
Mar 13, 2018, 02:10 PM
I'm just about to recieve my B3mini, in a few days... And i sure am quite giddy about it. Since this will be mt 1st manual & acro capable quad, as well as it'll be my 1st time to fly a quad without alt.hold.

Any tips howto fly manual? Should i start off with the acro mode on or off?
And will there be spares for this flier too? Like batteries, props (i wanna try those quad-blades or tri-blades, if available), and the 4in1 ESC board (worries me now that i've just read a board frying)...

Quick Reply