Best way to remedy? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 11, 2018, 08:06 AM
Help!

Best way to remedy?

A low level mishap resulted in the carb mounting bracket breaking off on my ASP 160 twin.
What would be the best way to remedy the situation? Off course changing the case is one. And I don't want to go Aluminum welding/solder for risk of case distortion.
JB Weld or Devcon Titanium Putty?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2018, 08:27 AM
You could try the JB or whatever, but it looks like a weak spot that will never be as strong or as weak as it was originally. Maybe use a safety wire so it doesn't get lost in the air. A machined angle bracket could be made up for the flange and glued or ? maybe screwed on that round surface which has more area to stick.
Feb 11, 2018, 09:00 AM
Devcon and Loctite make an alloy mix epoxy repair and I have used both. Devcon was drillable and tapable at the end.

http://devconeurope.com/products/met...inium-putty-f/

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...TTY/p/LCT97463

Another option is the swap to a carb for each jug. There was a thread somewhere, but cannot find it yet, ("Caffeine Low" light still on).
Feb 11, 2018, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandrayan
A low level mishap resulted in the carb mounting bracket breaking off on my ASP 160 twin.
What would be the best way to remedy the situation? Off course changing the case is one. And I don't want to go Aluminum welding/solder for risk of case distortion.
JB Weld or Devcon Titanium Putty?
Sit back and evaluate the total cost. Any low cost repair will eventually cost you way more money than you can imagine. It is just a matter of time. There is a person lurking right behind you. His name is Murphy and he is the law. He already reared his ugly head and broke your carb. If you try something like Devcon or JP Weld Murphy will strike you down at the most inconvenient time like you are flying low and heading the wrong way.

The most secure method is to find a competent machinist and machine a custom bracket to hold the carb to the engine. However by the time it is said and done it will cost you a lot less if you just buy another crank case.
Feb 11, 2018, 01:02 PM
the great Gassif´er
That is not a really big deal, as long as the case ain't leaking or cracked:

Just make a plate from aluminium or the likes, say 2 mm thickness, and fit it between the casing and the T-connector. Let that piece of sheet extend forward, and drill 2 more holes in it to which the carb can be bolted.
You need to slack the flange nuts of the intake tubes on the heads, but there is enough space to move the tubes a bit.
If you wish to do so, you can glue the broken off piece back to the case, then continue to glue the 2 mm sheet to the mounts as reinforcement then fit the carb and T-connector in place to align everything while the JB-weld is curing.

See scetch.

EDIT: you might need to file/grind some to get a good fit, but it should be possible without too much issues.
Last edited by Brutus1967; Feb 11, 2018 at 01:21 PM.
Feb 11, 2018, 01:25 PM
the great Gassif´er
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
The most secure method is to find a competent machinist and machine a custom bracket to hold the carb to the engine. However by the time it is said and done it will cost you a lot less if you just buy another crank case.
A new crankcase is about 75 British pounds at JustEngines, without shipping.
OP is in India, and I am fairly sure a professional machinist there can make a decent bracket for way less than that....
Feb 11, 2018, 01:46 PM
>>A new crankcase is about 75 British pounds at JustEngines, without shipping.
OP is in India, and I am fairly sure a professional machinist there can make a decent bracket for way less than that....<<

OP will have to decide for himself. I don't know where he bought his engine from. Maybe he can get ASP parts in India or maybe not. Personally I would attempt to "fix" it myself until it blows up in my face but that's because I love to tinker. I don't know how much resources the OP has. So I can only suggest the conservative way out of this. Hate to have something to screw him up because he "listens" to us.
Feb 11, 2018, 01:51 PM
Simply Reliable
The bracket option is fine if you can arrange for fabrication. On the same note, people are often too hasty and rule out welding. The key to welding is a good welder of course. Aluminum is not prone to distortion in most cases if properly done. Cleaning is tantamount and a good welder will know how to prepare.

Finding the right machine guy may be a lot easier than a qualified welder. A lot less at stake by taking the bracket route in the long run. If you lived nearby I would be glad to weld that for you. I’m afraid even the postage is prohibitive.
Feb 11, 2018, 05:28 PM
Sponsored by my Wife

part needed

run an ad for a wrecked or broken engine to get parts.....!
Last edited by JEanes; Feb 11, 2018 at 06:10 PM.
Feb 11, 2018, 06:34 PM
Not sure how easy this is to get in India? I have used this to repair an engine case that had the mounting lug torn off. You use a stainless steel brush to clean everything, propane torch and just sort of use it like soldering copper pipe. It will flow into the crack and is stronger than I would have ever thought possible. You could build it up on each side as a fillet.

https://www.amazon.com/ALUMALOY-Poun...ords=alumiweld

https://www.alumiweld.com/awpricing.html

It does not look like it is a stress point, JB Weld should be strong enough to hold it. I have used the putty and was surprised how well it holds. I have fixed crock pot lids, cast aluminum pans with it. It can be drilled and tapped too.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8267...ywords=jb+weld

You will have to figure out what the cost of each way to repair, bracket, new case, donor motor?

Buzz.
Feb 12, 2018, 12:30 AM
You can use a low heat, propane torch repair rod such as:
https://www.alumiweld.com/
Stronger than aluminium and works well for small repairs.
I used a few times to repair muffler mounting base.
Feb 12, 2018, 06:42 AM
Thank you all for valuable suggestions. Much appreciated

I have ordered some JB weld and will look into fabricating a bracket as well. Will update here once I have worked on the engine
Feb 12, 2018, 06:56 AM
Simply Reliable
Sand or grind to roughen up the area to be glued. Then clean it well. First with alcohol or acetone, followed by soap and water. Dry well before using the JB Weld. Using the Bert- bracket as back up would be a good idea.
Feb 12, 2018, 07:05 AM
I was thinking first with soap and water and then alcohol. Any reason you recommend other way?
Yes I have a variation on the the idea suggested by Bert. Will make one in brass to see how it goes and if it works will get one made in steel
Feb 12, 2018, 07:20 AM
the great Gassif´er
Alcohol (the potable variant) is a mediocre degreaser, Methanol (the glow fuel) is even totally ineffective if you have run the engine on gasoline (Methanol does not dissolve most 2-stroke oils used in gasoline).

Just mentioning that, as I see you have a CH ignition, and no mention of the fuel used.
If you are running the engine on glow fuel, Methanol will be a good choice. But flush liberally.

In general, when cleaning, you need to degrease first, as most water and soap solutions don't really degrease, and the grease encapsulates other dirt, rendering water and soap useless against that dirt.

Acetone works good, Brake Cleaner usually works good, water and soap work good for the non-greasy impurities left by the degreaser, and if you really want to get the best cleanliness possible, then after the degreaser and the water and soap, scrub with a clean brush and liberal use of destilled water (not demineralized) and leave to dry naturally. You can't get cleaner than that. We use that for our cargotanks if we need to transport for example edible products.

But that is just for info only, most likely the water and soap allready leave a clean enough surface.

The material of the bracket is really of less importance, you could even use plywood if you wish to do so.

Quick Reply