Feb 10, 2018, 11:47 AM
Discussion

No Drones over my classic car, Bub!

https://journal.classiccars.com/2017...urs-delegance/
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2018, 01:14 PM
Suspended Account
Considering what some of those cars are worth....

Can't say as I blame them.
Feb 10, 2018, 02:53 PM
Not sure how effective the Eagle will be, but can't say I blame the car owners or show coordinators.
Feb 10, 2018, 03:17 PM
I can just imagine the whining and complaining by the droners.
"It's not fair....sob, I got rights....my expensive drone......"
Feb 10, 2018, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
Not sure how effective the Eagle will be, but can't say I blame the car owners or show coordinators.
Of course as he soars overhead, maybe chasing a drone or maybe just patrolling. I have no doubt at some time he will produce one nice big dollup for some car below.
Last edited by KMK001; Feb 10, 2018 at 04:49 PM.
Feb 10, 2018, 04:58 PM
The eagle disables the drone, but I doubt it catches and flies off with it.

What happens to the falling disabled drone? If the eagle drops say a Phantom 4 on a million $ car, whose responsible for the damage, the eagle operator or the drone operator? Not to mention the crowd of people ogling the cars.

Don't think they thought this all the way through....
Feb 10, 2018, 05:28 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol
The eagle disables the drone, but I doubt it catches and flies off with it.

What happens to the falling disabled drone? If the eagle drops say a Phantom 4 on a million $ car, whose responsible for the damage, the eagle operator or the drone operator? Not to mention the crowd of people ogling the cars.

Don't think they thought this all the way through....
The Bald eagle is capable of hauling off a full grown rabbit and then some. Though the drone presents some issues of its own, as far as pure lifting capability goes I think the eagle can handle it.
Feb 10, 2018, 06:06 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Many car shows like that have background music.

I can just hear it now.

Every time the eagle strikes.

Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle" on the PA.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Feb 11, 2018, 01:34 PM
What I would suggest they do should the Eagle catch a drone at the show field:

1) Retrieve the drone from the eagle.
2) Obtain the FAA registration number from the drone. (ALL of them ARE registered nowadays, don't you know?)
3) Announce the "Lucky Number Winner", being the FAA registration number, over the P.A.
4) Once the rightful owner shows up, with proof in his pocket that they are indeed the FAA registered owner...
5) Take the gloves off of the eagle's talons and hand it the drone.
6) Blindfold the owner and spin him in a circle 32 times.
7) Have the owner retrieve his drone from the eagle.

That oughta do it.
Feb 11, 2018, 06:38 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube Goldberg
What I would suggest they do should the Eagle catch a drone at the show field:

1) Retrieve the drone from the eagle.
2) Obtain the FAA registration number from the drone. (ALL of them ARE registered nowadays, don't you know?)
3) Announce the "Lucky Number Winner", being the FAA registration number, over the P.A.
4) Once the rightful owner shows up, with proof in his pocket that they are indeed the FAA registered owner...
5) Take the gloves off of the eagle's talons and hand it the drone.
6) Blindfold the owner and spin him in a circle 32 times.
7) Have the owner retrieve his drone from the eagle.

That oughta do it.
Except, the eagle doesn't wear gloves. His handler does.
Feb 12, 2018, 07:39 AM
What happens if someone fly's a very large drone? Legless eagle? Animal cruelty?
Feb 12, 2018, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
The Bald eagle is capable of hauling off a full grown rabbit and then some. Though the drone presents some issues of its own, as far as pure lifting capability goes I think the eagle can handle it.
A full grown wild rabbit does not weigh as much as a P4 with a gimbal and camera. A rabbit is smaller and easier to grip. Also, you can't use a bald eagle to chase drones, they are protected. I also suspect that the eagle's job is to disable or upset the drone so that it crashes, not carry it off.
Feb 12, 2018, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol
A full grown wild rabbit does not weigh as much as a P4 with a gimbal and camera. A rabbit is smaller and easier to grip. Also, you can't use a bald eagle to chase drones, they are protected. I also suspect that the eagle's job is to disable or upset the drone so that it crashes, not carry it off.
They should not use the eagle because its claws will get cut up by the props. If it is one of those very large commercial drones the prop may cut the legs off.
Feb 12, 2018, 08:49 AM
Suspended Account
Well I see the hawking experts are chiming in. Speaking from experience, having kept and hunted with two Peregrines when younger and interested in raptors from an early age:

1. special circumstances will allow the keeping of a Bald Eagle and hunting with it. Usually it's a rescue bird that was injured or lost it parents at too early an age. Something like that and for some reason deemed incapable of surviving in the wild.

2. Making contact with a drone, while the eagle would probably not escape totally unscathed, the talons and legs are far sturdier than you might think. And a trained bird would have the jesses attached and quite possibly some leather leggings as well.

3. the average Bald Eagle is capable of carrying off 5 pounds.

4. No contact, a single flap of a Bald Eagles wing is capable of breaking a human arm or causing a concussion. Just the turbulence from a flap can be enough to upset a drone.

5. I'd prefer to use a Golden Eagle. They've been documented carrying off young deer.

6. Or the peregrine who uses a ramming technique with their breast bone and is documented doing over 200mph in a dive.

Now let the critics chime in. But unless you've actually kept a bird...........................
Feb 12, 2018, 12:25 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
What if I AM a Bird?

that's my last name

I've been documented doing well over 200 mph in a climb, let alone a dive

And, I have been known to open a door by pushing on it with my chest when both hands are full. Does that count?
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case

Quick Reply