2 Boats, One transmitter. Will it work? - RC Groups
Feb 10, 2018, 07:55 AM
Beach Bum
Discussion

2 Boats, One transmitter. Will it work?

I have two boats and no one to sail with. Has anyone tried piloting two boats on one transmitter?
Assuming I can bind two six-channel receivers and have them operate simultaneously, I would have one boat on left stick (ch 3 + 4) and one on right (ch 1 + 2). Right stick would need spring removed and indent attached or tightened.

Been flying rc planes for years so using both sticks and a couple switches and dials is not an issue. What will be a learning curve is mentally separating the sticks to control two different craft.
Boats; RG65 and Monsoon
Radio; FlySky i6
RG65 C-rig on B-mast. 25 knots. (0 min 54 sec)

Hydropro C-rig. Cape point NC (0 min 49 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2018, 08:05 AM
As long as you maintain control separation as you describe where you basically give 3 channels to each boat, then yes. It will work and the only thing stopping you would be your own coordination on the sticks.
Feb 10, 2018, 08:48 AM
binding two receivers with the i6?
Can you describe how that works? Great idea with two boats ….
:-)
Feb 10, 2018, 09:12 AM

Racing Yourself

If you're going to race yourself which will you bet on?
Feb 10, 2018, 09:20 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Binding is something that happens on receiver side. Basically you turn receiver 1 on, bind it, then off. Repeat with receiver 2. After this, if you turn both receivers on, both will accept signals from your transmitter.

So yes, it should work. The idea of using separate channels is genius! If your transmitter has some spare knobs (like the ones you turn) you can use these for sail position, leaving the sticks for rudder only!
Feb 10, 2018, 09:24 AM
John Ball
It may depend on your radio type - some Rx send telemetry back to the Tx and so two Rx sending data may confuse the Tx.

But it should be easy to try as shown above - just bind one Rx and then the other, and then try it.

John
Feb 10, 2018, 11:46 AM
I used to take out 2 boats with 2 transmitters. A bit hard at first with one on left hand side and one on the right. Was a really fun thing to do at lunch for me.
Feb 11, 2018, 02:27 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
I use a Flysky FS-T6 for my DF65 and DF95.
I've had both boats powered up, side by side, and they both react the same to the TX signal.
So using different channels on each boat simultaneously will not be a problem.
Feb 11, 2018, 12:13 PM
Hey Steve

In my opinion - This really cool idea ...

Some would ask ...
"Why do this ??"

Your asnwer might just be simply ...
"Because I can "

Please make some additional forum posts - I am sure others will be intersted too ... even if just for the FUN OF DOING THIS !! ... that is what a hobby is for ... fun and tinkering
Feb 11, 2018, 01:06 PM
Boomer1
If you are interested I have an unused Flysky FS-T6 with two receivers. Got it as spare set up but have not used and it should be doing something constructive instead of just sitting. If interested shoot me a PM and we can figure out a fair price and how to get it to you. I am in Orange County quite often to visit my daughter in Orange.
Boomer
Feb 11, 2018, 04:59 PM
I use one transmitter to control two boats. This is my recovery boat setup. Yes, I know, he wants to steer each boat separately.
Name: Barge 1.JPG
Views: 15
Size: 564.9 KB
Description:
Feb 11, 2018, 10:53 PM
Hey Steve did you work at NEB back in the day?
Feb 12, 2018, 06:54 AM
Beach Bum
Thank you all for the input.
After a number of attempts it seems that the FS-i6 will only allow one receiver to bind to a selected model. I tried binding one at a time and two simultaneously. Also tried turned off Rx telemetry. Binding second Rx deletes bind to first Rx.
I also have the older FS-t6 that I believe will work with two Rx, confirmed by post #8. Just need to order another 6-ch Rx for it.
Been busy this weekend sailing a hunk of Chinese plastic known as the Monsoon. It is a finiky boat that can be unforgiving but I am figuring it out. What I think it needs is a lower aspect sail and reduction of mast height.
To sub wrecker, no I did not work at NEB, have only lived in NC and VA.
Monsoon Sailboat (0 min 54 sec)
Feb 12, 2018, 10:40 AM
So here’s the thing about sailing two boats off of one transmitter—it can and has been done, but it’s a bad idea. You simply can’t maintain optimum control over both boats. One will ultimately stray off course and you will over correct. Sail too close to each other and they will collide. Anything happens like a wave or a third boat or a rock approaches and you can’t get both boats away without some drastic maneuvers. Save your money and sail them one at a time or get a buddy to sail your second boat. It will be much more fun.
Feb 14, 2018, 10:32 AM
so unhappy….
I did it two days ago. It worked (with FlySky i6)
Turnigy - 2 Empfänger an 1 Sender (two boats with one transmitter) (0 min 33 sec)

Today I tried it again. no chance. don't know what is wrong ….

Quick Reply