please help with Enigma setup - RC Groups
Feb 10, 2018, 02:18 AM
Discussion

please help with Enigma setup

I am the proud new owner of a used Enigma F5B airframe. As this is my first "F5B" I have some questions regarding battery selection and throw setup.

The Enigma came with:

Neu 1509/ 1.5D 6.7/S a castle creations Phoenix 125 and an RF 16/17 prop

there is a CC BEC wired in parallel with the battery leads to power the rx. I am running a 72 mhz multiplex royal evo with a hitec 6 channel rx

questions:

what battery should I use?

How much throw for :

elevator
ailerons
flaps

when crow is applied how much up up aileron and down flap should I use?
at full crow will I need any elevator compensation? if so how much

Is any elevator or aileron compensation used when motor is run

Thanks in advance for the help. Please feel free to add any advice or anecdotes
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2018, 09:13 AM
There was a guide somewhere but it escapes me where it was. I run the same setup with a Thunderpower 4s 3850(will measure) and it’s a fun energy packed performer. I don’t use a bec but use a separate LiFe battery instead I think it’s 800mA

If no one comes up with the build guide location I’ll measure my settings for you.
Ed
Feb 10, 2018, 01:03 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
You will need down elevator compensation for crow brake. If you can get it, flaps down 90 degrees. Ailerons up maybe 20 degrees. How much compensation? Hard to say, you'll have to do some testing to get it dialed in right. I'd start with about 25%... I'd use the TLAR method for aileron throws but err on the conservative side, you can always dial them up later. I use full throw on elevator up and down but also use a lot of expo. Snap flaps are optional, I don't typically use them for sport flying. No elevator compensation for motor on.. It should want to climb under power and some down elevator will be required but it's manageable. These are what I use for basic F5B airframe setups, the Enigma may be different and I'm certainly no expert but that should get you in the ballpark. I also use flight modes so I have more aileron travel for thermal mode and far less for speed mode.. I also have a launch mode with generous motor delay (at least 1 second). Less delay on other modes.. I actually have a couple of clicks of up elevator in launch mode too. Models will vary but when I did the maiden on my virage with neutral elevator it didn't want to climb much after I hit the power and was too close to the ground going too fast for my liking. Of course throttle is on a switch (spring loaded) so crow brake is proportional with throttle stick. Good luck and if this is your 1st F5B airframe, get ready to hold on for dear life. Oh and you'll probably crash it but that doesn't mean I HOPE you will crash it..
Feb 10, 2018, 04:35 PM
It is my first F5B the closest thing I've flown was a 10 cell hotliner about 10 years ago..... after that I've been flying my dlg's a little. I found my old castle creations USB interface and will try and see what the esc is set up for.
Feb 10, 2018, 09:04 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
10 cell hotliner is basically F5B.. LOL.. You'll be fine
Feb 10, 2018, 09:21 PM
Ditch the CC BEC, use a small rx power instead....
Feb 10, 2018, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
10 cell hotliner is basically F5B.. LOL.. You'll be fine
Not if they were round cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsteve
Ditch the CC BEC, use a small rx power instead....
Agreed. Good advice.

Lenny
Feb 11, 2018, 02:32 PM
yes round cells haha i've been out of the game that long! at least the were nimh!
Feb 11, 2018, 02:37 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
The good old days when you were lucky to get 25 good flights from a 10 cell NiMH pack before they vented
Feb 11, 2018, 07:36 PM

power setup 4S 3850 65C

how does this look? lots of warnings here... Will the motor and esc be up to the challenge as long as I keep the motor run times approx 2 seconds?
Feb 11, 2018, 08:05 PM
I’ve run this same setup completely for several years without issue. Same 16x17s 1509-1.5d-6.6 with castle 125 and 4s 3850’s. running on switch so no partial throttle. Great combo and I use 45 seconds total runtime that yields 50% of pack usage and long service life from batteries. I think I measured 190amps.

Still one of my favourite planes to fly.
Feb 11, 2018, 08:14 PM
I have an Enigma, with a NEU 1512, 1.5D. 18X23 prop, but running a TP 5S, 3850. Max watts (via the CC log) was just over 3700 watts if I remember correctly. I don't hardly fly it much anymore, simply because I have focused more on the FPV quad racers lately. It's an awesome aircraft! I used an Enerloop 4 cell battery pack for servo/receiver power. I remember utilizing the heavier 4 cell pack to get the CG correct.
Feb 12, 2018, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys!
Feb 12, 2018, 12:32 PM
Ordering the 4s 3850 batteries today but can't find anyone with stock on 6mm bullet connectors. Tried soaring USA and neumotors. Where should I look next?
Feb 12, 2018, 01:35 PM
Still Noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiguy
Ordering the 4s 3850 batteries today but can't find anyone with stock on 6mm bullet connectors. Tried soaring USA and neumotors. Where should I look next?
Hobbyking?

Quick Reply