This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 07, 2019, 12:17 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Another good day at the field flying the F-4 Phantom

After a year of flying & abuse still all original retract pins etc. but two slightly cracked mains gear doors (been too lazy to replace).

JetFan 90 / HET inrunner motor & Hitec HS5245MG servo on elevator.

to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2019, 12:00 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
The original F-4 Phantom was/is a Mach 2.2+ fighter jet ...

The foam model flies pretty jet-like, but could always use some extra speed & performance .

This could be achieved say by brute force, using a 14S setup - which nevertheless makes little sense in this rather draggy foamie, with $2 flimsy styrene retract mounts etc. ...

Another option is to improve flight characteristics by reducing drag. The foam model has plenty of it : ridges, finger-deep panel lines, bumps, large wide slots, sharp blunt edges etc.

I did not want to ruin the top-side appearance of the F-4. So all my filling & sanding work was confined to the bottom, as on many of my other foamies.

For ex. a smooth clean wing & tail surfaces will give some slight improvement in top speed, and improved overall handling. That's at least my experience

Apr 11, 2019, 12:27 PM
Innocent Bystander
We are 'Worlds Apart' on this whole Minimize Drag on our F-4s thing Herb ... !!! Hahahahaha Cheers !!
Apr 11, 2019, 03:36 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
I like both When I fly though I prefer a cleaner airframe ...

Turbines have excess power, so there stores hanging off the wings matter less ... To me EDFs are always on the edge of being underpowered
Apr 11, 2019, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaroo
We are 'Worlds Apart' on this whole Minimize Drag on our F-4s thing Herb ... !!! Hahahahaha Cheers !!
I NEED those bombs and rockets !

Where can I get them ? Thanks
Apr 14, 2019, 11:55 AM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Some more good flights on the Phantom yesterday ...

Took a couple of pictures of my "straight and level" elevator trim after a year of flying, and with the CG moved slightly back with respect to the manual,

Last edited by Herb; Apr 14, 2019 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply