Looking for a History lesson - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by OilFlyOne, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 09, 2018, 01:54 PM
Trader Rating: 104
$1.00 USD
Buyer pays shipping
Found

Looking for a History lesson

I had a older flying buddy who exited the World and I was fortunate enough to end up with a lot of his Collection ,,Most of the items I have Narrowed Down to what they are,, and Some I have passed down for others to Enjoy.. This is the Last model I have not been able identify ,, It's very Well built with a 41" Wingspan and due to my young age of 44 I have never seen a Model like this ,, After studying the Plane the rudder has a slight fixed angle to the right, the 2 pull cables coming out of the left Wing function the elevator up and Down ,, Almost kinda makes me laugh a bit ,,,, Well it looks Dangeous as Hell !! Thank you for looking and comments of maybe who Might of manufactured the Kit , and the Value it might Be !! I know I Will never attempt to fly it but love a History Lesson and if Somebody is interested I'd entertain a offer once I Am educated !!!
Last edited by OilFlyOne; Feb 09, 2018 at 02:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2018, 02:01 PM
Trader Rating: 3
ʇsol
It's a control-line airplane. The cables operate the elevator. I don't know what model it is, but control-line was - and to an extent still is - very popular in some areas.
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Feb 09, 2018, 02:10 PM
Vulturetec Thank you for bringing my ignorance up to Par I never Knew this existed in the Hobby Will read up further on the Link, Still seems Dangerous as Hell,, lol Now to see if we can Narrow down the Model!!
Latest blog entry: TBS Caipirinha
Feb 09, 2018, 02:22 PM
Trader Rating: 155
And You're Not
There's a pic out there somewhere of me flying a CL plane. CL handle in right hand, beer in the other. We used to fly CL at the field right at dusk, when 30ft was as far as you needed to see. Would bring the bull bats out (small birds that look like little falcons) to chase the planes.

Your model looks like it was either a one-off or a RC model converted to CL - it doesn't look like any CL plane I've seen, but I'm not an expert.
Last edited by Jeffery; Feb 09, 2018 at 02:31 PM.
Feb 09, 2018, 02:40 PM
You know you maybe right about the converted Part,,I Never saw my old Buddys Storage where alot of this came from,,, but he would always tell me he loved experimenting with the Hobby... Has my mind wondering Now ,, I did read in that Control line link that some Gas control Lines used 3 Lines,, one to control the throttle,, The particular Motor on this has no butterfly Valve so its a Wide open setup!!
Feb 09, 2018, 03:06 PM
Trader Rating: 155
And You're Not
Most CL is just set and go, no throttle and wide open until the tank is empty. At least that's the way all of mine were. Not a good time to discover you suffer from dizzyness!
Latest blog entry: Old RC Pics for George
Feb 09, 2018, 03:11 PM
I can just Imagine Flying one of these spinning around, and around, to only see a CL break or pulling them out and see the Plane go soaring across the Sky!! Kinda Like a Discuss Thrower ,, Lol
Feb 09, 2018, 06:02 PM
Trader Rating: 45
It's no more dangerous then RC... matter of fact it's safer on many levels. They aren't big monsters by any stretch. On the bigger c/l planes(sometimes call U-control or Ukie) the lines are steel... on a plane this size it the lines would probably be about an .018 gauge, by 60' long. Two lines are needed(obviously there's two lead-outs on the plane).. one is "up" elevator, the other "down".

The size and length of line is directly related to the size of the plane/engine they're flying. There's 3 basic line lengths... 30' for 1/2A planes(.049 size, and these are usually dacron type thread..still very strong), 52' for planes in the .15 size engine range(steel.. sometimes a tad small at .016 gauge), then there's the .018's very common in .35 or so size engine models.

Line lengths and size are very important...as if they correct lines aren't used... then yes it can get dangerous... too small a line will be weak.. too short a line and you will spin into the ground(short lines you'll spin faster, physics 101).

The plane you pictured might have been a conversion from RC to C/L.. just judging by the outer shape and configuration.. but it might also be a scratch/plans built plane. Hard to tell by the pics really.

If a line does break(yes, I've had them break back in the day)... the plane will not go soaring across the sky.. LOL... as again there's 2 lines on the plane(up/down), so they'd both have to break at the same time... The odds aren't great they would... matter of fact if you broke 2 lines at the same time.. go buy a lottery ticket, as the odds of 2 lines breaking, and winning a big lottery are near the same.

If a line breaks though... the plane will go the opposite way until it hits the ground(which is usually immediate)... if the down line breaks.. the plane is a now a lawn-dart.. if the up line breaks.. the plane will just tightly loop a time or 2 until it hits... and with nobody in the flight-path(never ever should be anyone there anyway).. breaking a line will only break a plane.... again though.... if everything is as it should be... you won't break a line. Kind of like RC planes.... if it's right... there will be little to no problem with it.

I have seen a handle slip from someones hand and the plane went flying... but the guy didn't know what he was doing... as you should have a leash(simple small teather) on the handle that goes around your wrist. So if you don't know what you're doing... yes... can be dangerous.... If you have a habit of taking on things you don't know anything about... everything can be dangerous.... Don't drive a car if you don't know how to drive.

Here's a cheesy short YouTube quick clip of control line flying... There's thousands more clips on there, as well as do a Google search and see what kind of videos there are. It's not a big mystery though...

U control line airplane (1 min 48 sec)

The plane you have isn't worth much sorry to say... as you did pose your question in the classifieds... so if you're looking to sell it... it won't bring a bundle... and I won't comment further on that..... but hopefully you'll know a bit more about control-line planes. It's a part of the plane hobby many of us grew up with... I know I did... and some of my first airplane kits I built were control-line.. It's very affordable in that there's no radio or electronics onboard... Lines are reasonable too.... although that's a relative term. A good set of 60' lines runs $20-$25 or so. That beats a few hundred bucks for a decent radio.... and it doesn't take much wood to build them... although something like your example does take about as much as an RC plane. There's other styles of control-line planes... "profile" c/l planes are very popular.... and they lack a built up fuselage... rather the fuselage is flat wood... just like a "profile" RC plane.

As far as a history lesson... I'm going to suggest Google... and/or You Tube... and even look into the control-line forum right here on RCG.

https://www.rcgroups.com/control-line-63/?daysprune=30
Feb 09, 2018, 06:21 PM
Very Nice thank you , I honestly think now that I have had the education of these Control line models I think I will keep this one hanging in memory of him Then do a conversion back to a regular flying RC Plane one day when I get bored !! Thanks Again to all who replied and taught me something new I had no idea existed !!

Quick Reply